Pan's Labyrinth / Philosophy

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The poster formerly kn...

Post Number: 2745
K so i gotta do a little write up on this flick and how it applies to philosophy.

If you've seen the movie, give me your interpretation of what the real meaning behind the story was.

More specifically how it may pertain to alternate realities. Was everything really happening in this film? What was real and what wasn't?

I'm having a bit of writers block so i just wanna get some ideas flowing, any help is appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 803
when do you have to have this by because i can get the movie and watch it, i wave been wanting to anyways

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14686
It is a person's way of dealing with the harshness of reality.

When everything else seems so desperate and hopeless, you cling to some glimmer of good in your situation. It keeps you grounded and it keeps you from going over the edge.

It speaks of balance between good and evil. One cannot necessarily exist without the other. How can you know it is good when you do not know what evil is?

...there, that should get you started. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2746
The assignment is due Wednesday, February 6th, but don't sweat it, it's not a major assignment. he just wants us to do like a 1.5 page write up on the flick and how it relates to what i mentioned above.

HOWEVER, you should most definitely rent the movie anyway dude, it's pretty fu<king good. I always thought it was a kids movie, cause the main character is a little girl, and there's like fairies and pixies and sh!t.

NOT THE CASE. It is rated R, it is violent, gorey, a little scary at times. If you're into fantasy/sci-fi type sh!t it's up your alley.

it's in spanish so you gotta read subtitles, but for w/e reason i actually think it works better that way in certain movies, this being one of them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2747
good stuff Berny thanks!

Question though. You said it's a persons way of dealing with the harshness of reality. I assume you mean Ophelia is imagining her adventures. But there are scenes in the film that indicate it is more than JUST imagination.

I mean she goes out in the woods and crawls inside a muddy azz tree and has a confrontation with a giant slimy toad. It's not like the next scene just has her wake up like it was all a dream...

instead she is found by Mercedes (the maid), covered in mud, missing her pretty new dress. So she didn't imagine the whole thing, i mean she really went out in the woods and did SOMETHING, and it's not like she's on an acid trip.

whaddaya think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2748
i think the message is more that reality is all about perception.

example, if you're on a camping trip in the woods and you see a rattlesnake so you freak out and run away, only to find later that it was just a rope or something you mistook for a snake, does that make the experience any less real? No, the fear, danger, and panic to you were real as can be.

BTW we still have like 15 minutes left to watch on wednesday but he wanted us to write about it anyway, so i haven't seen the ending yet. dont give it away pls :-)

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 816
I'm a philsophy minor.. but i've never seen the movie.

Sounds like a must watch, from what you're saying about it.

I prolly won't get around to watching it by wednesday, but you ever need any other help definatley hit me up. I helped Yanks get an A on a paper.. he can be a reference for me lol.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1958
Waking Life, that's a movie to watch, especially for someone interested in Philosophy. Prob top 3 out of my fav movies of all time. The film was done by the same guy that did Dazed and Confused, and A Scanner Darkly; Richard Linklater.

Enjoi!

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 8210
Gavin FTW when it comes to Philosophy

:-)

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14689
Ehren,
No I did not say that Ophelia is imagining anything. Her mind is giving her a different reality. She is going through a lot and to her everything is real.

Her mind provides its own reality.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2749
c'mon Thieves top 3 fav movies? Gimme some analysis brotha! What was the philosophical meaning behind it?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6734
It was a very good movie. I had rented it but I'm probably going to buy it. What I got from the movie was that karma comes back to bite you in the a ss in the end. :-) I'll just leave it at that lol. There's a lot more to that movie than just that though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2754
No classes today due to severe weather, so I won't be turning the paper in till Monday.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1980
are you asking about waking life, or pan's labyrinth?

btw, the original labyrinth is the sh1t. Jennifer Connally is so hotttt..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2756
Thieves i was asking about Pan's Labyrinth but i wasn't paying attention when i read your post.

Never seen Waking Life, but i'll put it on my rental list. Yes, i literally have a rental list...i'm a film freak!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us