Dvd copying is it legal if you own the original dvd

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7690
like i said is it legal if you own the original dvd and make a backup copy...and use the backup to keep the original scratch free

Gold Member

Post Number: 7691
Heres one i found so far

quote:

By Brian VanNess:

One of the biggest debates between the public and the recorded music industry is whether or not creating backup copies of personal CDs and DVDs is legal. Manufacturers state that making copies for any purpose is illegal because to do so is a copyright infringement, but the public is in favor of the Fair Use Act and the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992. These are open to interpretation, but in a nutshell -- you may legally make a copy of your CD for personal backup if you were the one who bought (and still own) the original.Audio Home Recording Act of 1992

The Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 states that copyright holders can't sue the average user for making home copies of their music. But the studios' lawyers say that the recording companies are not required to make available the technology to do so -- that means the recording industry will try to make their disks as challenging as possible to copy.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

RD 1000.1D with SI MAG...

Post Number: 17526
interesting read sean.

i say legal or not, who is gonna know what i do in the privacy of my own home. lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7692
well if its illegal im not going to make dvd copies of the dvds i own...this is why im researching and asking

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12857
Yes I believe you can make back ups. I would burn away anyway if it wasn't legal. You bought it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7693
This is where I believe the answer is no it isnt legal... circumventing copy protection... but from what im reading so far making back up copies of your original music cd's is legal

Fair use clauses in current copywrite laws dictate that it is legal to make a copy of any media you have legally purchased and own for backup purposes. You can't distribute the copies or share them, but you can make a backup copy for yourself, to be used if the original is damaged.

Catch-22 -- a federal judge ruled that it is illegal to circumvent copy protection on digital media. So it is legal to copy a DVD you own, unless you're circumventing copy protection to do so. Most manufacturers are including copy protection these days, making it impossible for people to exercise their rights granted under the fair use clauses of copywrite law.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7694
http://www.riaa.com/physicalpiracy.php?content_selector=piracy_online_the_law

ok to answer the question on music it looks like I was right its legal to make a backup copy but not if its copy protected

Copying CDs

* It's okay to copy music onto an analog cassette, but not for commercial purposes.
* It's also okay to copy music onto special Audio CD-R's, mini-discs, and digital tapes (because royalties have been paid on them) -- but, again, not for commercial purposes.
* Beyond that, there's no legal "right" to copy the copyrighted music on a CD onto a CD-R. However, burning a copy of CD onto a CD-R, or transferring a copy onto your computer hard drive or your portable music player, won't usually raise concerns so long as:
o The copy is made from an authorized original CD that you legitimately own
o The copy is just for your personal use. It's not a personal use -- in fact, it's illegal -- to give away the copy or lend it to others for copying.
* The owners of copyrighted music have the right to use protection technology to allow or prevent copying.
* Remember, it's never okay to sell or make commercial use of a copy that you make.

Are there occasionally exceptions to these rules? Sure. A "garage" or unsigned band might want you to download its own music; but, bands that own their own music are free to make it available legally by licensing it. And, remember that there are lots of authorized sites where music can be downloaded for free. Better to be safe than sorry -- don't assume that downloading or burning is legal just because technology makes it easy to do so.

Enjoy the music. By doing the right thing, you'll be doing your part to make sure that the music keeps coming.

This site is intended to educate consumers about the issues associated with the downloading, uploading and consumer copying of music. It is not intended to offer legal advice or be a comprehensive guide to copyright law and the commercial uses of music.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1802
Yeah, remember that major record labels are RICH and the artists get very little per CD sold. I buy independent music, but I will not give my money to an organization that is already hording huge amounts of it.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5888
Hahaha f*ck the RIAA/MPAA........... I'll copy what I want to copy

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14610
Too much hassle to copy and archive my media or make back up copies.

Those who make back up copies have their own reasons for doing so, but for me...I only back up my data files. I find no reason making back up copies of movies and such.

If I lose it and want it that bad, I'll just buy another one. Or even better, rent it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12878
Yup. Storage is getting so cheap anymore. We are moving into the digital world now. Tape is dead. Vinyl is for the connoisseur.

How long before do you think a terabyte of storage will be $10?

5 years?

3?

6 months?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14613
I am hoping 6 months...

But probably more like 5.

I just saw a Western Digital Mybook 1TB for $275.00

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12881
I love technology.

Expect that price to be cut in half in 6 months.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1817
Yeah, true, eh?

I have a 465GB WD Mybook that cost $130.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7706
ill probably never use up my factory installed 360 gig

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1865
yeah it's illegal to rip the copyright...but you paid for it, do with it as you will:-)

Gold Member
Username: Hawaiian_time

Kanaka freak...

Post Number: 1753
Yeah it would be like the government to say it's ok to copy music as long as it's not protected, and then have all the labels protect their recordings! All that money paid for lobbyists was worth it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7709
you no what i dont get is if its illegal to circumvent encryption then why do companies sell software designed to copy around it

Gold Member

Post Number: 7711
http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Cinema/DVD/E8X5X5R9

LOL this is good...they kept the encryption on

30/03/2007

"The DVD CCA filed the suit after Kaleidescape marketed a video server that uses an elaborate system to transfer DVDs encrypted with the Content Scramble System (CSS) onto its hard disk drives."

Gold Member

Post Number: 7712
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/10267.cfm

News
Legal movie downloading gets a huge boost

4 July 2007 15:10 by Andre "DVDBack23" Yoskowitz | 20 comments
Legal movie downloading gets a huge boost After months of false starts, DVD burning and legal movie downloading got a huge boost this week when the DVD Copy Control Association (DVD-CCA) approved a final amendment that will allow movie downloading services and DVD kiosk companies to offer on-demand disc burning using CSS-encrypted copy protection.

The amendment should be finalized by the end of the week at which point the changes will become effective. Then, movie download service will be able to offer movies that can be downloaded and burnt to physical DVDs as well as played on standalone players. The move should be a huge boost for movie download services due to the added appeal of being able to own the DVD after you download it.

"CSS is that line in the sand," TitleMatch chief technology officer Aaron Knoll said last week during the Entertainment Supply Chain Academy conference in Los Angeles. "Once there is the ability to legally replicate CSS [on such discs], we expect the coffers to open up."

The first hurdle in the process was getting Panasonic, which is one of a few companies that controls the master license to CSS, to agree with the move. Panasonic declined to accept the amendment when it was first tried in April.

Now, with the new licenses, retailers will be able to go to software companies such as Sonic for programs that will provide CSS-encrypted burning.

"Up to 50% of retail purchasers can't find the title that they want to buy, because it's not in stock," said Jim Taylor, senior VP and general manager of the advanced technology group at Sonic Solutions. "There is a huge untapped demand that can't be met because of shelf space limitations".

Sonic also said it has had a software package developed that would allow burning using CSS, but distribution was riding on the approval of the amendment.

There is however, like always, a catch. According to Video Business, consumers will need to buy a new DVD writer as well as a specific (probably new) type of DVD-R disc.

More updates as they become available.

Source:
CNN

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 885
i been on piracy trail for at least 5 years now or more. no matter what you say the riaa will always state 1. you own the disc the case the paper the plastic. not the media printed,burned or label on those. 2. no matter if it's for personal use or not it's illegal yet thier laws have holes in them seeiong as how most of this is aimed at personal gain not personal use. ether way the case has been thrown out of court and takin back in more then u can count as i always say. the jusry is still out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us