Weightlifting / Bodybuilding

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The poster formerly kn...

Post Number: 2676
Rob I was curious to talk to you about what you said in the chat the other day. You said something along the lines of "i stopped lifting cause i talked to too many guys who can barely walk anymore".

Just curious what you meant by that. Because of injuries? Or just cumulative effects of stress to the joints and such?

I just started reading Mark Rippetoe's 2nd Edition Starting Strength Basic Barbell Training which i'm guessing you've heard of if not read, as it is considered a quintessential piece for anyone interested or involved in weight training.

Anyways he has a lot to say about why people get injured and have long term negative effects on their bodies as a result of lifting, so i was curious to hear your perspective regarding what you said the other day.

Anyone else interested or experienced in weightlifting/bodybuilding can feel free to chime in as well.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6630
Squats, hack squats and even dead-lifts do serious damage to your lower body. Then you have stretch-marks too...they're not attractive at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2677
"Squats, hack squats and even dead-lifts do serious damage to your lower body."

Well, Mr. Rippetoe says claims like that are both baseless, and false. The truth, in his opinion, would be to say 'squats, hack squats and even dead-lifts do serious damage to your body when performed incorrectly'.

In his 30+ years of coaching experience he has seen thousands of guys lift well into their 40's, 50's, 60's etc...not only avoiding these negative effects but reaping all the healthy benefits of strong muscles and joints, and a well conditioned CNS.

What do you or other people you've learned from base these opinions on?

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 799
ya dont stress on squats too much...also military press for shoulders is not a good excercise to do

Gold Member

Post Number: 2682
Well with any of the big five lifts (squats, deads, bench, overhead press, row), I am a believer in what Rippetoe preaches which is that they are all completely safe, and highly effective when performed carefully and correctly.

The VAST majority of the weightlifting population is VERY misinformed about how to do things safely and correctly. People tend to learn by watching other people at the gym or listening to what their buddies tell them rather than seeking out quality information.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6631
Lol. Do you really think the human body is meant to lift in excess of 500 pounds? Even when or if your muscles are that strong it doesn't mean that your bones and joints are. There are lots of Power-Lifters that are in very bad shape. Bodybuilders are even worse of because they're usually on steroids.

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1579
i kno guys that bench 5-600 one of them got high and didnt dtart out with little weight to warm up his muscles and riped the muscle off the bone

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7684
Ive been lifting a long time... since I was 16 and im 35 now...now im not large muscle wise because ive had a few set backs health wise over those years but ive gotten time to see correct lifting is very important... lifting heavy can be bad and so can lifting light...its important to learn how to lift with proper form and a controlled speed ive found this is why aches and pains come and since I have cerebral palsy and walk with crutches I basicaly only lift my upper body and use the treadmill to work my legs and get my cardio in at the same time ...so even just lifting your upper body you can have injuries just the same as the lower body but its all about approaching things right

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 785
reading this thread makes me feel like a tiny little boy.. haha.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12819
Sean I had no idea man.

Silver Member
Username: Marcooo

Post Number: 278
My dad is 53 and can bench ~215 lb, he only weighs ~165 lb. So IMO it's about lifting correctly and staying in shape, he runs like 20+ miles a week lol.
Although I don't think benching is the best for him because he broke his collar bone in HS and up untill 3 years ago couldn't even bench because of it, it's better now but still bothers him like once every two weeks.

Hopefully when I'm his age I can manage to eat right, run like him and lift moderately. If so then I'd be happy, even if I only lifted lightly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7685
"Sean I had no idea man."

its ok im lucky mine just effects my legs there are others who have crebral palsy and have it worse

"My dad is 53 and can bench ~215 lb, he only weighs ~165 lb. So IMO it's about lifting correctly and staying in shape, he runs like 20+ miles a week lol.
Although I don't think benching is the best for him because he broke his collar bone in HS and up untill 3 years ago couldn't even bench because of it, it's better now but still bothers him like once every two weeks.

Hopefully when I'm his age I can manage to eat right, run like him and lift moderately. If so then I'd be happy, even if I only lifted lightly."

someday I want to bench double my bodyweight ...the closest ive been was 152 pound bodyweight benching 250 pounds and one time i just missed 255 pounds ....I dont know if that would be good enough to get into a bench contest but if it is when I bench double my weight I might go. (ive been 140 some pounds before so doubling my weight shouldnt be hard to reach)

But you should lift and eat right now....the benefits are so worth it

Gold Member

Post Number: 6650
"someday I want to bench double my bodyweight ...the closest ive been was 152 pound bodyweight benching 250 pounds and one time i just missed 255 pounds ....I dont know if that would be good enough to get into a bench contest but if it is when I bench double my weight I might go. (ive been 140 some pounds before so doubling my weight shouldnt be hard to reach)

But you should lift and eat right now....the benefits are so worth it"

Not a chance for the competitions lol. When I was 160 I would max at the end of my 30 set bench routine and still put up 300. Even then...getting in those competitions is tough. I had a friend who was 140 and was benching 325 and still not winning. It's not really worth trying in my opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
Well yea I eat right now and lift around 6 hours a week, 150 pounds benching 265, but I'm just starting to get back into running now because I've been a little lazy lately lol. And after college I want to be a Marine, so I know I'ma have to eat right, lift and run. But I got 5 1/2 years before the Marines call so in my mind im on track lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6651
Please don't join the Marines. If you do you'll more than likely regret it like my Uncle, cousin and close friend do.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

RD 1000.1D with SI MAG...

Post Number: 17510
i think its okay to take anabolic steroids as long as you don't abuse it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2693
"i think its okay to take anabolic steroids as long as you don't abuse it."

the same is probably true for meth, coke, and heroin and such Chad if you don't abuse them. The point is almost NO ONE can successfully use these substances without abusing them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
"Please don't join the Marines. If you do you'll more than likely regret it like my Uncle, cousin and close friend do."

I've been wanting to join the Marines since I was 12, so live or die I can't see myself regretting it. I'd rather die serving my country, then of old age because I never joined at all. I know the risks, but to me the rewards, satisfaction I'd get from serving, heavily outweighs that. I want to make a career out of the military, while my friends where dreaming of being in the MLB when they were kids I was dreaming of being on Delta lol, so IDK maybe I'm just different than your relatives. Don't know them, so I'm not going to assume anything.
I'd say I know a fair amount about the military for not having many family members serve, my two Great Uncles fought and died in WWII, but that's about it. Like I know in Irag for example it's pretty boring overall, do more training and sitting around then actual patrolling and missions, and the conditions suck, but in 6 years I think we'll be in Iran or Syria by then, if we haven't moved on already haha j/k.

I'm agaisnt the war in Iraq, but I'm 100% behind our troops and to me it's not where you serve or why, but for what and that, of course, would be the USA

Gold Member

Post Number: 7687
Rob... "Not a chance for the competitions lol. When I was 160 I would max at the end of my 30 set bench routine and still put up 300. Even then...getting in those competitions is tough. I had a friend who was 140 and was benching 325 and still not winning. It's not really worth trying in my opinion."

Well yeah considering most of the top people are using steroids probably...I saw like two years ago the record for the 150 pound class I think in powerlifting USA was like 430 lbs and his goal was 450 over the next two years I believe

Mark Fantini... "Well yea I eat right now and lift around 6 hours a week, 150 pounds benching 265, but I'm just starting to get back into running now because I've been a little lazy lately lol."

265 at 150 and yeah gotta do your cardio as well

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
"265 at 150 and yeah gotta do your cardio as well"

Lol if your thinking it I'm not on roids, even though I play baseball . My dad is hardcore into sports, mostly baseball, and has straight up told me he'd kill me if I did steroids lol.
And yea I need to start running again. Was going to today, but right after I got home from school I lifted until seven and didn't finish dinner until 8:30. God I'm tired of my excuses lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7689
"265 at 150 and yeah gotta do your cardio as well"

I meant to redo that statement and forgot....I was thinking 265 at 150 ...not bad...and yeah gotta do your cardio as well but forgot to type it

"And yea I need to start running again. Was going to today, but right after I got home from school I lifted until seven and didn't finish dinner until 8:30. God I'm tired of my excuses lol."

at least your starting back up with the running

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
Yep, first thing I did after school today

Gold Member

Post Number: 2701
i will NOT be running tonight. we got like freezing rain with 83,374mph winds goin on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
Same here in Appleton.
Good thing I have a treadmill available to me

Gold Member

Post Number: 7705
lol The other day i found myself on the treadmill thinking man they need holographic scenery while your on here it would create a more pleasant experience haha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us