Help and opinions on starting an online business car audio or other

Silver Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Some where 12 wangin o..., The Mighty J... USA

Post Number: 895
Ok I need money and I'm an E-business and management major in college so maybe I should start early in making some moves. I am thinking about starting something with ebay preferably I want to do car audio or anything tht has a good profit turnover I know car audio probably doesn't have the most profits but I like it so why not. If any1 has any info on stuff tht I can buy cheap and sell high or any ideas at all ur info will be greatly appreciated. Maybe something like kevin holden does would be good also any info or suggestions would be a great help

Silver Member

Post Number: 897
Bump for initiative (sp)

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1569
It takes time to get all of your license, tax I.D. numbers and so forth. Then you have to report to the gov't. It is a PITA.

Kevin

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 464
Any suggestions on how to talk to companies and getting dealer rights?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16446
money talks eddie. lol.

Gold Member

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1572
^ LOL! I don't mind helping anyone out, but it took me money and time to get the connections I got. Email me, we can talk.

Kevin

Silver Member

Post Number: 899
Well maybe not an official official store but like buying stuff maybe n bulk and reselling it on ebay etc

Silver Member
Username: Charlesbhs

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 448
how much money are you talking about Kevin? like if someone really wanted to start an online store how much money do you think you would need to start?

Gold Member

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1574
Just depends on what you want to do. I didn't start with internet though. I the largest car accessory/speed shop in my area. I had a $42,000 dyno, SCT tuning software that was $6,000, and around $10,000 in stereo and accessories to start. Columbus is based on the military, so when the 3rd ID left, I closed up because there really isn't anything else there. so what it cost to start up an online only store, hard to say. I can tell you, the best place for what you want to do would be distributors. when I started in 2002, that is all I had. got to start somewhere though.

Kevin

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16448
alot of companys have a "buy-in" don't they kevin?

also i heard jl audio won't let you become a dealer unless they are your main high end line. meaning they won't let you carry other high end lines. not to mention you have to sell at their suggested retail price.

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16452
kev, what is the name of that song when you enter low-hz.com?

Gold Member

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1577
That's right Chad. JL has their dealers by the balls VERY tight. It isn't that they won't let you get another high line, it is mainly you can't afford too. also, if you slip on sales they will threaten to take the line away.

Journey into Bass by DJ Laz. I wub dat song. :-)

Kevin

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16454
yeah that song is awesome. i open your site and leave it on the home page just so i can listen to the song.

i just started downloading the song now since you told me the title. hahahaha.

Gold Member

Lagrange, GA USA

Post Number: 1580
lol. Tell you another good bass cd: Bass Cube.

Silver Member

Post Number: 900
Ok ummm back to my question????????????

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16470
well, start buying some stuff in bulk. like find some close out items and buy it out. you can get them for a good price. then start making some profit.

you gonna have to do alot of searching.

if you lived out here in los angeles, i could take you to a place where you can get kicker cvr's for around 35 bux each. that is if you buy alot. lol.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5135
There's a store in my area called Jake's Discount Car Stereo. They sell pyle, audiobahn, earthquake, volfenhag, legacy, etc. They have 3 stores, 2 of them are in flea markets.

Now anyone who knows anything about car audio would never shop there, but those stores make a boatload of cash selling crap equipment to people who don't know anything about car audio.

I know someone who bought two 12" earthquake subs and a 500w legacy amp from them for $300. That stuff probably cost them not even half that. Just something to think about.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1532
how many chad?:-)

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16474
lol i don't know. alot. maybe 20 or so. lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 903
yea thts what i was lookin to do actually sell cheap stuff high until i make enuf money to get onto high quality brands

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16476
yeah that is the best way. you can make a bundle on cheap stuff.

when you go to alot of local car audio stores, they carry good brands and cheap brands. the store me and berny go to carry re audio, mmats, memphis, us amps, pioneer, sony, and kenwood. sony sells the most. its just alot of people don't want to spend money on good stuff. they just want some bass.

people on this site are really in to car audio and want the best possible. that is why we come to car audio forums. lol. but there are more people out there that just wants bass without spending alot.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7370
if you want a store yes money talks, most of the companies are not going to sell you their products to sell them over theinternet if they do they will ask you to sell them by msrp prices. and if you dont they will stop selling you products and dont cover the items that had been sold to you for the warranty.

also if your looking to buy products to sell them over the internet is better to you to contact a distribuitor since is less hazzle and pain in the butt....

also its alot better to start with your own local store then make an online stoe to sell both ways and will gain much more revenue but it will take alil more time.

to be on jl audio i beilve that the buy in is 10,000 that you have to buy the first time on jl audio products.

most manufactures i mean mainstream brands they will not sell you direct unless your asking for a big buy in or big shipments. they mostly will give you a distribution.

for example if you want to carry maxxonics products(hifonics,autotek,crunch,mb quart etc) they will give you a distribuitor near you if you want to buy small quantities since for them is less problems, because manufacturers only are interested in sell in large quantities and if you want to buy them direct they will be alil more expensive than buying large quantities. if you do want to buy large quantities direct is the best way.

having a car internet shop is not easy as it looks if you want to carry big brands and be a well respected business with support from the manufacturers since you have to follow their orders in order to sell online.

plus if you really want to take down the competitors is better for you to buy large quantities since they will be cheaper and sell them cheaper and stil gain a good revenue.

most of the internet shops (underground ones) sell for example massive audio, sundownz, stereo integrity, etc ,etc.... are easier for them to go direct since the buy in is really low so its easier to make a online or local shop with those brands but some manufacturers to let you sell online you have to buy mid-to large quantities such as sundownz, i beilve that ssa and low hz are only the websites that can sell sundownz amplifiers. so for undeground companies is easier to go direct as for low hz selling mainstream brands im pretty sure they get them from a distruibutor.

anyway if you do plan on getting a busines all together good luck man. i amopening a business to in mexico tho i work sometimes for a local shop that is on the mid-high end side that are jl authorized dealers so i might get some hook ups there.

and theres alot of rules you have to follow for example customer support is a must and you dont have to let it go.

plus if you want to go far dont be like kevin and get banned and get bad rep from thousands of people

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5137
Yep..... my firend liked his two 12" earthquakes in a bandpass box....... that is until his 500w legacy amp blew

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7373
if you want a store yes money talks, most of the companies are not going to sell you their products to sell them over theinternet if they do they will ask you to sell them by msrp prices. and if you dont they will stop selling you products and dont cover the items that had been sold to you for the warranty.

also if your looking to buy products to sell them over the internet is better to you to contact a distribuitor since is less hazzle and pain in the butt....

also its alot better to start with your own local store then make an online stoe to sell both ways and will gain much more revenue but it will take alil more time.

to be on jl audio i beilve that the buy in is 10,000 that you have to buy the first time on jl audio products.

most manufactures i mean mainstream brands they will not sell you direct unless your asking for a big buy in or big shipments. they mostly will give you a distribution.

for example if you want to carry maxxonics products(hifonics,autotek,crunch,mb quart etc) they will give you a distribuitor near you if you want to buy small quantities since for them is less problems, because manufacturers only are interested in sell in large quantities and if you want to buy them direct they will be alil more expensive than buying large quantities. if you do want to buy large quantities direct is the best way.

having a car internet shop is not easy as it looks if you want to carry big brands and be a well respected business with support from the manufacturers since you have to follow their orders in order to sell online.

plus if you really want to take down the competitors is better for you to buy large quantities since they will be cheaper and sell them cheaper and stil gain a good revenue.

most of the internet shops (underground ones) sell for example massive audio, sundownz, stereo integrity, etc ,etc.... are easier for them to go direct since the buy in is really low so its easier to make a online or local shop with those brands but some manufacturers to let you sell online you have to buy mid-to large quantities such as sundownz, i beilve that ssa and low hz are only the websites that can sell sundownz amplifiers. so for undeground companies is easier to go direct as for low hz selling mainstream brands im pretty sure they get them from a distruibutor.

anyway if you do plan on getting a busines all together good luck man. i amopening a business to in mexico tho i work sometimes for a local shop that is on the mid-high end side that are jl authorized dealers so i might get some hook ups there.

and theres alot of rules you have to follow for example customer support is a must and you dont have to let it go.

plus if you want to go far dont be like kevin and get banned and get bad rep from thousands of people that will never want to do business with you again...

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12170
I used to think Ebay was a great place to start selling online. Then reality smacked me in the face.

Fees. Tons of them. Weather you sell or not. The ones who are guaranteed to make money on Ebay are Ebay, Paypal and the shipping companies. True profit comes in massive listings and sometimes the right timing. Research goes along way in playing the market as well. If I knew the Wii was going to be this popular I would've bulked up on consoles months ago and made thousands. It's a calculated risk.

Sometimes the only way to make any money is to gain it back in shipping charges. If you have a good relationship with your shipper and can get bulk rates you're in. Your time in packaging your items properly is worth something.

Then there's the wholesaler you'll need to find. It doesn't matter the product, you're looking to buy something for $1 and sell it for $2. The hot item of the month could be Hulk Hogan salt and pepper shakers. What do you care? Somebody in Alabama has been looking for that perfect wedding gift and you just happen to have it, at a 75% markup.

Then you'll need capital to invest in your initial inventory. Got gobs of cash lying around? Great! Send some to me lol.

Lastly is your selling rep. Keep you and your business's name clear of any bad air. Word spreads and if you're on Ebay your feedback better be 98% or more positive. I personally don't buy from anyone with a score lower than that. Yes I've been burned and at the tune of $1200.

Personally I enjoy picking up on deals as they present themselves and passing them on to others at a minimal gain, just for the "past the time" factor. Like my wire kits and subs. I also sell knives and tools. My knives sell well at the mart and I can routinely make $150 on an average Saturday. Nothing to retire on but fun nonetheless.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us