Wisdom Please

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1837
OK...so, even though I really don't know any of you guys on a personal level, there have been times your opinions have genuinely helped me. So, with my latest predicament.

Hey. So, I have been having a really hard time concentrating on anything this week, and even sleeping. There are SOOOO many things I am having to think about right now, and I really don't know how to handle it all right now. First off, there's my four finals, but they're really the least of my worries. Then there's a new girl that I am kind of seeing, or at least we're talking about it. Both of these I am not worried, but still things to think about. Then there's this whole future thing. My parents live in MN and go back to the house during breaks. Now, my Dad is likely getting a job in St. Louis, and that's great because that's the one place they'd be thappy. I just don't know what that means for me. I don't feel like never seeing them, but there's no way I can move to St Louis...it just wouldn't make sense for me. I have a house I am paying for in Lincoln, plus a business venture in the waiting. At home in MN, I have my grandparents who am I very close with, a couple of my close friends, and a business partner that I have made plans with at least for this summer. Plus, I wouldn't know what to do staying with grandparents. I know they would be happy to have me, but I would still feel weird. Even things like coming home at 2AM. I know they would be sitting up waiting for me, worrying and waiting more than my parents do. Plus, even though they are my grandparents, I still feel like I am putting them out and asking them to do something they should not need to do. I figured it would be bad enough to "leave" one group of friends or the other when I graduate, but now the thought of having to do it in the Spring is getting to me. Even better, I have to make my choice in the next week, because there is a ton my MN business partner and I have to do for our business next summer if that's what we're doing. I can't leave him hanging. Plus, I won't see him again until summer, as he is going to Europe for spring break. He's even trying to plan our summer vacation to get away from the landscaping. I just don't know what to do with it all. I have to concentrate on school to keep my grades up, but it just feels like there is so much more important stuff I need to be thinking about right now.

So that's my story. Any advice and/or encouragement would be great. Thanks guys.

Ben

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 757
I went through almost the same thing this past year man. Last year my dad lost his job and it was really tough. i go to SLU in St. Louis and they live in Illinois, in a town i've lived in all my life where all my friends, their friends, and everything we know has been. for a while it was extremely hard because he lost his job so we lost a lot of income, and on top of that i tore my ACL which was a 49 thousand dollar surgery. thank goodness our insurance is pretty good. but anyway he finally found a job in KY. So at the end of this past summer i helped them move to KY, then came back to school. it sucks because a ton of my friends are from my hometown. Well chirstmas break is here and i had to decide waht to do. i got offered a job in my home town, so i'm going to live with my best friend in my home town while my parents live in KY. They actually just closed on a house today, which is really good. they really seem to like it there, but it's going to be tough because i can only afford to drive to KY to see them maybe once or twice every two weeks. all in all.. i say go where the business is. your parents will always be there for you, but you have to work at friendships. plus, it sounds like you have a lot invested in this business venture, don't let it go to waste. it will be hard not seeing your parents, but it's not much different than going off to school.

Anyway.. that's my advice, hope it helps man.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1845
Thanks Gavin I appreciate it.

My dad had the option to go. This is just the next step in the advancement thru his company. He is tired of traveling every week and wants to move on.

For me, there is business and friends in both places. I have an established business with a friend in MN and planned to continue for one more year. However, my future business plans involve a friend in NE. So, I just have to figure out when to break loose. I guess my parents are the least of my worries. I will see them occasionally, but that's no different than being at school. It's my friendships and business I am worried about.

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 760
Well.. i would love to say friendship is more important, but it's not. i only have one friend that i would pass up a good business expedition for. it's all about the business, because it's all about the money. friends will come and go, but a really good business oppurtunity usually only comes by once. i say follow your dads example and go for the job that will better advance you, and if whichever friend you dont go into business is really that good of a friend, he will still be there for you.

Of course, i realize this is all way easier said than done.. lol. the important things always are though.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1847
"way easier said than done" - the key to it all

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 11766
Someday when you look back on this crossroad you're at you'll see it was trivial at best. Part of growing up is also growing out. Expand yourself and don't let opportunity walk by. You'll always have your family no matter where everyone lives. Don't be afraid to take the leap and do what may scare/worry you.

My exwife used to worry about money ALL the time. It used to make her physically sick. It got so bad during her pregnancy with my first child that she almost lost the baby. I told her that there will always be problems of one thing or another. Take care of business and act responsibly but take a minute to enjoy life every once in awhile. I comfort myself over todays issues by reminding myself of past issues that bothered me and how I got through them to reach today.

The fact that you know what your hurdles are and have the concerns you do for your future means you'll also get through this easier than you think. It's the ones who live life day to day without care that scare me lol.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1851
Thanks Paul...I was waiting for your input

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7643
I agree with whats been said above. Your family will be there for you no matter what. I say go forth with the business since it seems like you have some good amount of time invested in. I guarantee that what ever choice you end up making, your family will be there 100% behind you.

I know I'll be facing a situation kind of like yours but not as deep. My family and I have been real tight always. I mean my dad and I golf twice a week, my sister and I do stuff together everyday when shes home from school and we talk daily when shes away, and my mom and I shop or just watch tv together daily. I just found out that my dad is getting a job 4 hours from my home we live in now. My mom and dad, and now possibly my grandparents (whom I visit frequently) are gonna move 4 hours away and sell our house we live in now. Im gonna have to move into our other house, that we rent now, by myself. Its gonna be hard to live on my own for once especially with no direct family within 4 hours of me but I know I'll make it.

But to get back to you, go ahead with your business man. I wish you and your business luck if you go that route.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1522
Paul, go kick Dr. Phils azz and take his place. You are wise beyond your years.
Anyway, I really can't say more than, if your family really loves you, they will back you 100%. Good luck man
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us