NBA 07'-08' Discussion Thread

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Ascendant Audio Arsenals, Chicago

Post Number: 2050
Season starts tonight, we obviously have a lot of sports fans on here so...

Just to get the ball rolling...

1. Hope Kobe gets traded ASAP. Love him or hate him, it SUCKS to see an all time great player not contending in the playoffs.

2. Are the Celtics for real? I say yes. KG, Ray allen and P squared are gonna set sh!t off this year.

3. What about the officials getting in trouble for gambling? Think the whole league is just corrupt or what?

Discuss...:-)

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6702
i hate the NBA with a passion. biggest joke we call a sport. now basketball in general i dislike cause im bad at it but i have respect for the players who play it to win, not for the money. college basketball imo, is about 10000x better to watch cause those guys are out there to win and thats it. the NBA has too many douchebag guys that just want money. theres basically zero defense in the league with the exception for a few players and its just about dunks and alley oops. NBA is an absolute joke. i wont be watching any games on TV and unfortunatly i will have to pay somewhat close attention to whos doing good and what not since im in the fanstasy league. but you can bet your bottom dollar i wont be watching the games, just sportscenter....which btw, this is the worst time of the year to watch sportscenter during the week cause all they show is basketball (with the exception of monday and tuesday when they show football)

but to get the ball further rolling, ill give my opinions on those statements pit.

1. kobe is a great player. hes an absolute douche for what he does every off season saying i want to be traded but wait, i dont. and then 2 months later saying yea trade me

2. celtics are for real. wouldnt surprise me to see them win the east

3. the league is already a joke so why not have it be a bigger joke with officials who fix the game lol

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 13285
Wow...I agree 100% with yanks on this one...the NBA has gotten much worse and completee diregard for the rules..along with bad attitudes, individualism, poor officiating and complete lack of D.....thats NOT TRUE basketball those guys are playing....there hasn't been good TRUE NBA ball since the old I Thomas, L Bird, M Johnson, M Jordan, days....I too now much prefer college ball...and Garnett is about the only player , I like now..

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6705
its about time we agree on something LK lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2055
i agree and disagree with some things you guys mentioned.

as far as selfishness and individualism, it exists in all sports. you can't tell there aren't baseball players who swing for the fences when the best thing for the team may have been to put one through a gap or just make good contact for a sacrifice or w/e...and you can't tell me there aren't NFL players who are more focused on making the interception or scoring a touchdown than they are on covering their man or running a good route. Look at the teams who have won championships recently, the spurs and the pistons don't play as a team? they don't play defense?

sure the overall level of defensive play is down in the NBA, just like it is in the NFL and MLB. And the fans are at fault...the fans wanna see Dunks, touchdowns and home runs, period.

yanks some would say your precious baseball is the joke, not the NBA. the MLB is in the midst of the "steroid era", while that isn't really an issue in the NBA because the benefits just aren't nearly as significant as in the MLB/NFL. i'm sure guys have taken them but it's not like in baseball where recovery is such an issue with 162 games/season + pitching power is vital + batting power....or in the NFL where obviously size and strength are hugely beneficial.

and the officiating is pretty obviously not corrupt yanks. that is pretty much a unanimous opinion. you can argue it's bad but the guy (his name escapes me) who got caught with the mob fixing games or w/e was an isolated incident. They have cracked down bigtime and investigated and there are a few guys who were addressed regarding minor infractions, in no way related to fixing games or the calls they make.

"along with bad attitudes, individualism, poor officiating"

i agree with that to an extent, and it breaks my heart to see a wonderful sport be tainted by some of it's competitors. But i still think there are lots of players and teams who are unselfish, play defense and have desire to win. as far as the officiating, it's always been very subjective in the NBA, but i don't think the officials impact the overall outcome of the game any more than they do in the NFL/MLB, when they do, it's just a necessary evil of sports.

speaking about all the major sports, i really believe in the past decade or so we've gone through a really bad phase...steroids, performance enhancers, individualistic and selfish attitudes, offense being more important than defense...and i think the fans are just now starting to turn the tide. There was a time when people quite frankly didn't care that much about performance enhancers because they were in such awe of what the athletes were doing, now if caught, you are an absolute disgrace. Fans are getting their priorities straightened out, starting to care about just W's and L's again over everything else.

call me an optimist, but this is what i believe to have been the situation recently and the outlook for the near future in all of sports.

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6718
while i disagree with most of what you said pit, i respect it....i guess we'll agree to disagree

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 13296
ditto...IMO, NBA Bball players have sunk to an all time low, as has the entire NBA game...no comparison to ANY other Major pro sport!...of course other sports have their deficiencies, but not nearly at the same extent of the NBA game....college ball hasn't changed much and is still the TRUE game with majority of players still playing at 100%, for the goal of making the NBA...where NBA players have nothing to play for now, except the money and the flash...the love of the game seems to have disappeared, along with the enforcement of the rules...and with B ball and only 5 players on the court, their actions are much more noticeable compared to baseball or football teams with larger number of players..just my 1 cent..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2058
i agree that the NBA has personality problems with its players. I just think people exaggerate the problem. NBA is more commercial than the other two big leagues. In the NFL the players aren't very well known outside of the big stars (mostly QB's, WR's and RB's). Because you literally don't see their faces the vast majority of the time. MLB you see their faces, but it's a more traditional game, you don't see as many guys in commercials, video games, t-shirts blah blah blah.

Because of this i think people take it more personally when they get into trouble on the court, or off the court getting busted for drugs, violence w/e.

again maybe i'm just an optimist but i love watching the guys who are passionate about playing hard and winning. I'm a Bulls fan and i can damn sure guarantee you our core squad is unselfish and plays there as$es off on both sides of the floor. Gordon, Deng, Hinrich, Noccioni, thomas, wallace...there is no1 on there that even thinks about hogging the ball or not locking down on D.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Money man, blowin

Post Number: 2994
I think with some of the teams now things might shape up alot more than they have been. I mean there is legitimate contention in the east now, and there should be an eye out for gambling and such. I used to love the NBA in the days of Jordan, and I just wish it would return to that.

Anyways, I did watch the Lakers game tonight and it was a great game. I thought Kobe was fouled by Skip To My Lou (Rafer Alston) and we should have had overtime!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2061
Oh man i caught the end of that game too Reece, the finish to that game is such a testament to why the NBA is worth watching.

1:36 left and the Lakers were down by 12 i think. Couple great steals and quick layups and such, the game is tied!!! Battier hits a 3 for the rockets with like 2.5 seconds left. Lakers inbound to Kobe who the Rockets foul so he can't attempt the 3, so Kobe makes the first free throw, and misses the 2nd intentionally REBOUNDING IT HIMSELF, misses the shot but thought he was fouled. CRAZY FINISH!

I hope the Bulls work out a trade for Kobe and pull the trigger. As good as everyone knows he is, he is STILL underrated. People don't realize how much he locks down on D, he may be the best perimeter defender in the NBA.

Gold Member

Money man, blowin

Post Number: 2998
No, he IS the best perimeter defender

Gold Member

Post Number: 2064
man the Cavaliers looked SAD in their season opener tonight. I think they'll take a big step back this year. They over-achieved by winning the east last season, i think this year they'll be a bottom 4 seed, and get knocked out of the post-season early.

my other semi-bold prediction, the Nuggets make the finals, Camby is the returning defensive player of the year, Melo is said to be in the best shape of his life, and most importantly KENYON IS BACK!!! I love me some KM.

Gold Member

Money man, blowin

Post Number: 3001
im higly doubting the nugs will be in the finals, but they will have a good year. the cavs did look like garbage they should have never been in the finals last year

Gold Member

Post Number: 2065
well then i guess i'll upgrade the prediction from "semi-bold" to full on BOLD!!! I think the Spurs are getting a little old and they've never repeated over the past decade or so that they've won their titles, the Suns play ZERO D especially stevie nash, and the Mavericks are kind of a mystery after they got clobbered by the 8 seed last season.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 2142
anyone see KG's line tonight?

22 points
20 boards
5 assist's
3 steals
3 blocks

SICK!!!

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4838
blazers baby!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2174
Celtics appear to be the real deal.

Kobe might be comfy staying a Laker...for now...

Miami off to a pathetic start without D-Wade.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2176
NEW YORK -- The NBA has spoken with the Los Angeles Lakers about a sexu@l reference coach Phil Jackson made in a comment following Tuesday night's game in San Antonio. The Spurs made 13 3-pointers in their 107-92 victory, and Jackson was asked if too much penetration was leading to open outside shooters. "We call this a 'Brokeback Mountain' game, because there's so much penetration and kickouts," Jackson said. "It was one of those games."

Gold Member

Post Number: 2183
LOL yeah i heard about that, i thought it was funny, although maybe i'm a little biased since the guy won 6 titles in 8 years with my team...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2178
No bias there man. Thats straight up funny..lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2444
Blazers have had the 5th most difficult schedule in the season so far and are 13-12 with their most recent win against NO tonight. We are on a 8 game win streak, second longest in the NBA this season behind Bostons 9. We are the youngest team in the NBA and have been playing without LaMarcus Aldridge. The future is looking awesome. Next year we will have Oden and Rudy Fernandez (european player of the year) to add to this already young good team.

Bronze Member
Username: Jervs

Post Number: 11
I like Kobe to stay with the Lakers. Sooner or later they will get that coveted trophy and Kobe can finally prove to Big Daddy that he can win a championship without him.

Silver Member
Username: Kewinn89

G-Bay, Alabama Usa

Post Number: 188
i'm disappointed with the miami heat lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2463
Blazers 101 - Toronto 96

Blazers keep the streak alive with a strong 4th quarter, winning their 9th in a row.

Roy is playing lights out and has been player of the week 2 weeks in a row.

You should have seen his beautiful MJ impersonation, switching from his right to his left hand and schooling Bosh.

Gold Member

Http://www.LowDownForu...

Post Number: 2535
Blazers win their 12th in a row. :-)

Gold Member

I support the Zac Davi..., Chicago

Post Number: 2485
Blazers are lame. they'll miss the playoffs as the 9th or 10th seed. they'll be no better next year with Greg Oden.

discuss.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2536
Yes. Discuss, go ahead Pit explain your statement.

First, the Blazers are already doing 100x's better than anyone outside of Portland expected. They are the youngest team in the league and the 3rd youngest team in NBA history. They have played the 5th most difficult schedule in the NBA so far.

They are playing great team ball. Roy, Aldridge can be stars but are playing as a team to win games. Channing Frye, Travis Outlaw, Jarret Jack, Martell Webster, And Joel Pryzbilla are stepping up when Roy and Aldridge dont. James Jones can shoot the lights out on any given night. Next year we wont only be adding Oden, we will be adding the Euroleague Player of the yer, Rudy Fernandez.

The Blazers bench is DEEP. There is nothing but an upside to this team. Maybe they do miss the playoffs this year and next year, But they WILL be a FORCE to be reckoned with in the years to come. The Blazers have been building for the future and their time is coming very soon.

Oh something to add real quick....they have one of the lowest payrolls in the league and an owner with deep pockets to pick up puzzle pieces.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2529
in case anyone hasn't seen Chris Bosh's youtube vid yet, here it is...HILARIOUS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv7IZP7u9FE

Gold Member

Http://www.LowDownForu...Zac Davis 4 ...

Post Number: 2574
HAHA...yeah, I seen that on ESPN. Thats some funny stuff, it made go vote for his azz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2532
"Best thang about it is, you think it's twenty dollars? No sir. You think it's ten dollars? No ma'am. Even five? uh-uh! IT IS FREE!"

Gold Member

Post Number: 2588
lol i almost couldn't believe it when i read this. The Heat and Hawks will literally be replaying the last minute or so of a game from last month because Shaq was mistakenly removed from the game for fouling out, when he actually hadn't fouled out...in all my years as a sports fan....this sh!t is pretty wild.

For first time since '82, NBA upholds protest requiring replay
By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer
January 12, 2008

ATLANTA (AP) -- For the first time since 1982, the NBA is sending two teams back to the court for a do-over.

The Atlanta Hawks and Miami Heat must replay the final 51.9 seconds of their game last month because the official scorer ruled incorrectly that Shaquille O'Neal fouled out, the league said Friday.

The Hawks won 117-111 at home in overtime Dec. 19, but strike that one from the books. For now, playoff-contending Atlanta has one less win, while the Heat have one less loss on their hapless record.

"We're human. We make mistakes," Hawks owner Michael Gearon Jr. said. "There certainly wasn't anything malicious about it. We have one of the most senior scoring staffs in the league. They're good. It happened. There's not much we can do about it."

Making it a truly miserable day: Atlanta followed up NBA commissioner David Stern's decision by losing to Washington 102-98 in overtime.

The NBA said the replay will be held before Miami's next visit to Atlanta on March 8. Play will start from the time after O'Neal's disputed sixth foul, with the Hawks leading 114-111.

"Wait a minute! I picked up a win today, or lost a loss," Heat coach Pat Riley quipped in New Orleans before a 114-88 loss to the Hornets. "I can wake up tomorrow knowing there's one less loss."

The Hawks also were fined $50,000, with Stern ruling the team was "grossly negligent" in failing to address the mistake.

The protest is the first granted by the NBA since December 1982, when then-NBA commissioner Larry O'Brien upheld a request for a replay by the San Antonio Spurs after their 137-132 double-overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers the previous month.

The Spurs and Lakers finally finished the game in April 1983, with San Antonio winning 117-114.

The Hawks were caught off guard by Stern's ruling, feeling he was trying to send a message in light of another scoring mistake that occurred in Atlanta early last season.

"Come on," Gearon said. "You can see how many times coaches, assistant coaches and trainers walk up to (the scoring table) during a game. They're walking up there for a reason. They're asking questions, whether it's confirming timeout or points or other issues."

Team spokesman Arthur Triche said no one on the stat crew had been replaced, but changes have been made in the way they operate. Two people run the official book at courtside, while the four-person computer stat crew is 26 rows above the court in another press location. The two crews are supposed to check with each other if any discrepancies come up.

"While it was an honest mistake made on the table, there was a communication breakdown in not following through the procedures that are in place," Triche said. "That's why we're in this predicament."

The Hawks were leading 112-111 in overtime when O'Neal was called for a foul. The official scorers said it was the Miami center's sixth foul, when actually it was only his fifth.

The mistake stemmed from a foul with 3:24 remaining in the fourth quarter that was called on Udonis Haslem but was mistakenly credited to O'Neal at the scoring table.

"That's crazy, man! I don't even think I can play because I fouled out," Atlanta's Josh Smith said. "David Stern is the head honcho, so if he says we've got to play another 51 seconds that's what we've got to play. Bottom line."

Stern ruled the Hawks "failed to follow league-mandated scoring procedures and failed to respond effectively when the members of the statisticians' crew noticed the mistake," the NBA said in a statement.

Said Haslem: "I'm not the kind of guy who likes to argue or cry over spilled milk, but we've got a second chance so we'll try to make the best of it."

While the Heat are having an awful season, dropping back to 8-28 before the day was done to remain last in the Eastern Conference, the decision could have a profound impact on Atlanta's hopes of making the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

The Hawks went from .500 to two games under (15-17) in one day, though they still hold the eighth -- and final -- spot in the East. Imagine if they lose the replay, then miss the playoffs by one game.

"Bottom line is we're here to try to make the playoffs," coach Mike Woodson said. "You've got to live with it. We'll face those 51 seconds in March."

The NBA requires the official scorers to coordinate foul calls with the rest of the stat crew during every timeout. That apparently didn't happen in this case, resulting in the mistake going unnoticed until after the game, when the Hawks put out revised boxes showing O'Neal with six fouls.

"Other than filing the protest, I haven't given it any thought since then. It wasn't until everybody started doing some research on all of the things that went on behind the scenes," Riley said.

"I don't really know what the checks and balances are for fouls and how they're done. I think the league felt we probably deserved an opportunity to go back and play the last 51 seconds."

Especially because this involved Atlanta, where another statistical problem occurred just last season.

On Nov. 24, 2006, the official scorer failed to credit Toronto's T.J. Ford with a basket that would have given the Raptors a late tie and an opportunity to change the outcome of a 97-93 loss.

"Because of this conduct by Atlanta's personnel, Miami suffered a clear competitive disadvantage, as O'Neal -- the Heat's second-leading scorer and rebounder that night -- was removed from a one-point game with only 51.9 seconds remaining," the NBA statement said.

On the NBA's official Web site, those final 51 seconds have already been wiped from the books. The Dec. 19 schedule shows 12 games as finals, but the one in Atlanta is still in progress. The box score and play-by-play are on hold.

Al Horford hit two free throws after O'Neal's foul to put the Hawks up 114-111. That's where the game will resume.

Miami's ball.

"It's always something with the Hawks," Atlanta's Tyronn Lue said. "It's a bad business, man, but we'll get through it."

Gold Member

Post Number: 2664
Yeah, sh!ts crazy. I guess it was the right decision though. But when I heard this earlier, all I could think of was, "So what happens if Shaq isnt healthy when they replay?" It would be useless...lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2590
i'm speechless ATM i honestly can't decide if i think it was the right decision or not. I mean, obviously it was unfair and incorrect that shaq was removed....but if we enter into the realm of "re-dos", it'll be awfully hard to draw any sorta line...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2665
Rules wise, it was the right decision. But for the sport, it may not be the right decision.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us