Finders Keepers! "AIWA"

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3934
Well I was making a routine dustbin drop and discover in the dark dumped outside on top of a trailer a what a appeared to be two loudspeakers, I noticed with the brief light for the alleyway one of the bass mid drivers was damaged, but still was better than treasure hunting in fact it was like "treasure hunting" finders keepers!

It's an AWIA mini system so what I'll do is check it over and see if I cam make a minor repair to the one of the bass mid drivers, luckily the edge rubber surround is intact so I might just be able to bend the plastic cone back into shape and seal the slit with some silicon rubber.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 2501
I doubt it was free

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3936
I didn't NICK IT if that's what you're implying, it was damped!

Well I've just finished attacking the plastic cone with superglue, hope it holds! I'll give it a good hour before applying some more superglue to strengthen it and then for the smaller details use some silicon rubber to make sure it's not going to leak any air pressure that might vent from the driver.

It's a messy affair, but looks like it might hold, once I've finished it I'll fit it back into the enclosure and run a few sine wave low frequency tones though each driver, especially the unbroken driver as that will be my reference loudspeaker to A and B against.

I've place my fingers down gently on the undamaged driver to see if the cone is intact and it sounds ok.

As for the rest of it I haven't a clue I haven't powered it up yet. There's a CD player Tuner and tape deck minus no remote control maybe that is partly why someone dumped it outside early this evening?

I have additional pictures later once it's fixed.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3937
And besides do you really think I would talk about NICKED goods on the open! Finders Keepers is all I can say. Don't you have strange this neighbours where you live who dump items that they think is buggered up!

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3938
Well the CD player turned ON LOL and there's a CD inside called "Soothsayers"? WTF! Well I'll hook up the audio leads and see if it does in fact work.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3939
Well the CD player turned ON LOL and there's a CD inside called "Soothsayers"? WTF! Well I'll hook up the audio leads and see if it does in fact works.

Its got a slight jitter if you tap the unit but hay I'm not complaining when someone damps partly an entire midi Hi-Fi out to be taken away by the dustmen first thing in the morning or worse the rain getting at it.

I'll see if the tuner works later tape deck and amplifier as well, as I'm not starting to run out of plug sockets!

Note: it also has an optical digital output has well. How's that for being born under an unlucky star!

Whoops I think I just heard it skip on track 3 Madonna Immaculate Collection yes its it got few problems to look into.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3940
Well it's almost finished and not bad for bit of superglue and silicon rubber.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3941
Well I've plugged it into a spare EQ and set the EQ levels from 160Hz 400Hz 1Khz 2.5Hz 6.3 16Khz to -12db and left 62Hz at 0db. Also set the input on the spear tape mode input to -6db so now it sounds like a non-sync CD player kinder like selecting the cinema's Dolby CP-65 non-sync mode at UCI or the Dolby CP-500 at Warner village cinemas.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3942
Upload

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3943
Being fair and square with my findings!

Well looks like these AIWA SX-N7 three-way with first order passive crossover, stood up to the Apollo 13 dts THX laserdisc without breaking up! There bass response varied differently over the JBL Control 5.

Upload
Upload

So how did the damaged AIWA SX-N7 handle after my quick fix it solution with superglue and silicon rubber! Did it hold up to chapter 12 yes it did and it produced a nice tympani when the camera pans over towards the mighty Saturn V and tilts upwards there a nice boom located in this direction that peaked at 87dbC in the 62Hz region.

That was good enough for me and I was satisfied I managed to fix the bass mid driver with a bit sweat and practice and nimble fingers. It would be rather hard to find a new driver for it from the manufacture, or replacing each enclosure with newer bass mid drivers that would fit in easily.

Upload
Upload

Test tones sine wave A&B test was conducted as well.

JBL Control 5
32Hz 60.05dbC
62Hz 79dbC
125Hz 88dbC

AIWA NX-N7
32Hz 56dbC
62Hz 79dbC
125Hz 73dbC

So there it is the JBL Control 5 win with a lower frequency response, it would have sound better if I could place the active crossover DCX2496 on the AWIA NX-S7, but that would be too nice.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7496
I think you just found your click. Repairing thrown away audio equipment. Make some green too.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3955
It's not worth it I'd soon make someone feel a little happy with it in there kitchen or garage, I've advertised it a different forums based here in the United Kingdom, hopefully some local will pick it up!

So in a nutshell it's going for FREE! I know that sound silly, but that's just the way I am in this situation.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7623
Good for you. I post locally for odd jobs at a REASONABLE price because too many contractors want to r@pe everyone. I'll install a ceiling fan for $25. An electrician would want $75. Sticky door? $5. Leaking roof? Depending on why, $20. I just hate to see the incapable being taken advantage of! I know what the job needs, and I'm not going to let ppl in my community get taken advantage of by some young fly by night contractor looking for an easy payday. That's just who I am.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3958
Paul

Good for you mate honesty is the best policy!

Still no at the other site as PM me back yet, was told some chap might be interested but I haven't heard from him yet and he lives in the Bournemouth area.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us