Brad Warren

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Post Number: 241
Hey man since you seem to know alot about computers see if you can help me out my computer is pissing me off every time i turn it on it starts good then when it gets to the desktop it says out of timing
V:23hz
H:18.7khz

sometimes it takes up to 3 minutes for it to show anything on the screen. Same thing happens when i put it on standby and start it again.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 681
Adjust the refresh rate of your monitor in graphics properties.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7240
Sounds like a resolution problem. Try resizing your desktop to a lower setting.

I found this on the net:

disabled "APIC Mode" under the bios and now am able to boot a live CD (only tried one). Could anyone tell me what APIC is and if I should normally have it enabled?
My new problem is that when installing Mandrake LE2005 to an empty, test harddrive everything went smoothly with APIC disabled but after it was installed and I restarted it gives 'Out of timing' error on my screen. Right after lilo this error comes up on my blank screen; I have a Sharp LCD screen and it shows "Out of timing V:44Hz H:46.5kHz". Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

I guessing that the default resolution setting for mandrivia is somewhere around 1280 x 1024. I was wondering if there was a way to change this to somewhere around 800 x 600 because a live SUSE disk gave me an 'out of timing' error too then i choose 800 x 600 for the boot setting and it worked fine. I currently run XP @ 1024 x 768 but my monitor supports a max of 1280 x 1024. Is it possible to somehow change the default resolution for mandrivia? I'd like to download the 64bit version if I can get LE2005 working.

Edit:I found out the resolution could be changed during the install process if you go to set up graphics/display or something like that. After setting it to a lower resolution it displays fine on my LCD and no longer out of timing.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1686
Sorry for the delay Julian.... I am in Nashville and just got back to my room from soundcheck and all of the other BS.

This generally happens when your video card is trying to force a refresh rate that your monitor is incapable of. Check (like Stephen said) your refresh rate and make sure it is set at 60hz. Also, look into your video card driver controls and see if there is something like "set maximum refresh rate per resolution" setting. Set this to 60hz as well. You should be at 1280x1024 @ 60hz. Try to be more specific about what hardware (monitor and vid card) you have next time. If you can boot to safe mode and the timing issue does not occur, that will prove that refresh rate is the issue because Windows automatically sets the rates low in SM.

Wouldn't hurt to update your video card drivers to the latest version available on the company website. It is never a good idea to install the drivers that come on the cd because they are generally a year or more out of date and there may well be a fix for this issue in the latest version.

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Post Number: 247
all is good now monitor was at 70hz and i changed the resolution thanks guys:-)

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7269
Good to hear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us