Pilot dies as Canadian Air Force jet crashes

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 9583
Pilot dies as Canadian air force jet crashes

Member of Snowbird aerobatic team killed during rehearsal in Montana

Malmstrom Air Force Base emergency crews respond to the crash site of a Canadian Forces Snowbird aircraft that crashed during an airshow rehearsal Friday in Montana.

Updated: 1:09 a.m. ET May 19, 2007
GREAT FALLS, Mont. - A Canadian Forces Snowbird jet crashed Friday afternoon during rehearsal for weekend performances at Malmstrom Air Force Base, killing the pilot, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

The Canadian military identified the pilot as Capt. Shawn McCaughey, 31, of Candiac, Quebec.

Col. Richard Foster, commander of 15 Wing Moose Jaw, said McCaughey was a veteran pilot and part of a group of some of the finest pilots in the world.

He was a very professional pilot," Foster said at a news conference in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan -- the squadron's home base.

"The team will take an operational pause to remember Shawn McCaughey like we need to, and then we will go back and do the rest of the show season," he said."

The plane broke from the formation and crashed during maneuvers above Malmstrom, FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer said. No one ejected from the single-engine jet, he said.

Lt. Jeff Noel, a spokesman for 15 Wing Moose Jaw, said the Snowbird pilots participating in the practice run in Montana were veterans, though he couldn't say exactly how many planes were in the air at the time.

The Snowbirds perform high-speed, low-altitude maneuvers in nine Canadair CT-114 Tutors and are part of the Canadian Air Force. Including Friday's death, six Snowbird pilots have died in crashes since 1972.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3765
Blimey, why on earth didn't he use the (ejection seat) that is why its there for there safety a plane can be replaced a lost pilot can't be replaced.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3766
I guess the (black box) may indicate why he broke formation its puzzling?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9599
Breaking from "formation" could have been his task/duty of the routine, at that time...or maybe he knew he had problems and was done intentional for the safety of the other flyers and the local area and ground people

Ejection/egress is rarely an option...depending upon altitude, speed, and angle...and again the safety of the majority on the ground and the density of the geographical area will influence that decision, if a decision is even possible..

Most bases and air show areas are heavily populated..

I once witnesed a pilot having difficulty while on approach to the runway, eject and the plane suddenly inverted and he was ejected into the ground at the "underun" area of the runway....

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3769
I think that's about clarified the ejection seat issues thanks for the technical information on that.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6649
I once heard someone ask why there aren't ejection seats in helicopters.

Ok Ok, I never heard that but it would be funny if I did.

Seriously, this is happening all too frequently. I loved air shows as a kid and still do. Makes me wonder if it's worth the risk of these pilots dying to put on a show, so to speak.

^^Not a joke, just sounds like one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9606
For the military, airshows are its #1 recruiter...even when bad things happen, the publicity recruits even more civilians..

Gold Member

Post Number: 6657
I would think incidents like this are a bigger draw AWAY from recruitment, even as infrequent as the odds say. Air travel by the odds is still the safest form of travel yet after 911 airlines across the board took a hit on profits. It doesn't take much to spook the public. I however, would love the opportunity to experience fighter jet flight. That would be AWESOME! Kinda funny seeing as I've never set foot on any airplane, ever. It's not by choice, I just never needed to fly anywhere.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9611
Think of an airshow, with DANGEROUS manuevers and wing walkers, and aerial demo teams as VERY similiar to a hockey game or an old Evel Knievel stunt!...the more dangerous and more "action" and possibility of death or a fight, the more it draws peoples attention and urge to go see it and watch...

BTW...they have places u can go and pay to fly in a "flight simulator"...or just go for a simple ride in a little cessna and enjoy the sights and feeling..

Gold Member

Post Number: 6660
My brother did that for my father a year ago. Both he and I love the flight simulator on the pc. My grandfather was a pilot and something I feel is inside my dad. It was priceless to see him actually flying a single engine plane after all these years of wondering. The instructor actully let him taxi, take off, and land.

On a side note, my granfather was very resourceful and good with his hands, something my family says about me. He passed 2 years ago and I feel like his talents passed onto me.

<=====Hense my username.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14049
^^^ That explains that! :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 9613
yeah, I didn't understand your username after u stated u had never flew...cool to remember pops and grandpops..

BTW...when I say 'flight simulator', I mean a REAL one that cost hudreds of thousands of dollars that U actually sit in, like a motorized cockpit..

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7337
Thanks, Paul.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9615
I just read that the Canadian Snowbird pilot was flying inverted (upside down) at only 300 feet off the deck, when breaking off...that explains alot...no room for any error...he went quick!.....didn't have time to blink...if thats any consolation to his family and friends..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us