U.S. Census Reports Minority Population Tops 100 Million

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 9544
U.S. minority population tops 100 million

Hispanics are largest and fastest growing ethnic population, census reports.

ATLANTA - The number of people in the United States from ethnic or racial minorities has risen to more than 100 million, or around one third of the population, according to a U.S. Census Bureau report on Thursday.

The minorities figure stood at 100.7 million, up from 98.3 million a year earlier. Within that, the Hispanic population was the fastest growing at a rate of 3.4 percent between July 2005 and July 2006.

Hispanics were also the largest minority group, accounting for 44.3 million people on July 1, 2006, or 14.8 percent of the overall U.S. population which, according to census data released in October 2006, stood at more than 300 million.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14039
???

Gold Member

Post Number: 9551
just a tidbit of education ...trivia to some, an issue to others..

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6587
It's all about the numbers. We enjoy a free country with choices. Immigration, legal or otherwise, is a very serious threat to the economy/infastructure of where we live. Not a question of will it, but when will it.

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10091
the new immigration laws when passed should help things out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6616
^^^I read that. 13 years to become documented citizens with a $5000 fine, deported out to be immigrated back in properly? All I see is more in hiding. The fine is just political revenue. It may be something, just not enough to stop the bleeding. I'm in Jersey and they are everywhere HERE. Imagine in 20 years.

Again, I'm not against immigration. Just against the mass numbers flooding our country which will only hinder our resources and economy, but that is already an old story.

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10101
couldnt agree more Paully boy:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 9582
well I am 100% against George W and his new immigration bill...enuff is enuff...they're just taking more jobs away from the US citizens, not to mention the "outsourcing" that companies already are doing and have been doing..or the impact NOW on Medicaid and social programs.. its all BS!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6621
Dammit! I'm moving to Canada!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9590
Minorities to be New Majority

By mid-century, demographers say, America's so-called minorities will likely be in the majority.

This week, as a milepost on that road, the U.S. Census Bureau released figures showing that America's minority population - including Asians, blacks, Hispanics and Latinos - numbered 100.7 million on July 1, 2006, more than a third of the entire U. S. population of 299.4 million and more than the populations of all but 11 countries.

The probable future of the country is the present in Springfield Mass where "minority" residents are the majority.

"Social scientists have long known that the U.S. is increasingly a multiracial society. So reaching 100 million is a milestone," said Donald Tomaskovic-Devey, the chairman of the sociology department at University of Massachusetts at Amherst.

"This will require us to think about the society in broader, more complex ways than we often do. For people to be competent citizens, politicians and managers, they will have to adapt. In fact, we will all have to adapt to this complexity and embrace it," he said.

The new census figures show that in July 2006, Hispanics and Latinos were the largest minority group, with 14.8 percent of the total population; blacks were second, with 13.4 percent in 2006; and Asians were third, making up 5 percent of the population.

In Springfield in 2005, the last year for which a detailed cultural breakdown of the population exists, 52.1 percent of the population was made up of minorities, the largest group being Hispanics and Latinos, who made up 35.8 percent of the population. Blacks accounted for 22.9 percent of the population, and Asians accounted for 2.1 percent of Springfield's population. Whites accounted for 47.9 percent. (The figures add to more than 100 percent because some people are part of two or more groups.)

In four states - Texas, California, Hawaii and New Mexico - and the District of Columbia, minority groups were also the majority in 2006, begging the question, is the word "minority" an appropriate term?

"I guess once a group gets into the majority, obviously they won't be in the minority anymore," said Gene L. Fisher, professor emeritus of the UMass Sociology Department.

However, while minority groups collectively can be the majority in some states and are expected to be in the nation by 2050, "individually, they are still a minority. I don't think any one minority group, such as Latinos or blacks, are going to be a majority soon (nationally)."

Samalid M. Hogan, a senior planner for the Pioneer Valley Planning Commission, said the growing diversity of this region's population "represents a challenge for us."

"Immigration will be the key to our economic success."

Gold Member

Post Number: 6635
This never gets old. I say time is running out. Look out Ryerson, here we come!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4094926727128068265

Gold Member

Post Number: 9591
Great link Paul..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us