Brad....or anyone else knows computers

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 5056
i need some suggestions for laptops for my friend....hes using the laptop for college....budget would be somewhere around 1000 id guess but im not positive....im not too familiar with computers so if anyone could help id appreciate it a bunch

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 409
well yanks its best if you build your own since you will be saving over half of what you would pay in the store. Laptops arent that easy to build tho

IMO...right now you can get some really good deals from Dell and HP...You can get something really nice for $1000.

Check this site out....www.tigerdirect.com

I use this all the time cause they have awesome deals and i hope it can be helpful to you

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

DiRtY 5oUtH ...

Post Number: 1779
compaq/HP or Gateway are the ones I've always went with.....I hate Dells, had to work on tooo many of em at the shop I worked for and haven't liked em since.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7279
Toshiba, 100%

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 5067
thanks for that link skullz....ill send it to him

i have an HP myself and havent had any problems with it except for the screen (long story).
thanks guys

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 9476
hey yanks...why not post and use the 'computer notebooks" forums here...I would think U would get the best info there..

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/computers/8832.html

and for less than $1000 U can get a very good laptop...U just need to know what features are important to you, based on your planned use..at a minimum U want a good processor (AMD is excellent), 1 gig of ram and 120-160 HD...and Windows Vista is the new thing/OS now...many dislike it, but I have no problems with it..

Gold Member

Post Number: 9477
BTW...I have a Compaq/HP and love it...I bought it at Staples and don't have to call India for tech help either!,,,Staples techs locally will help or repair and can call a US phone person for help or assistance...and they are offereing many rebates now..I just bought a new desktop with all the above minimums and CD/DVD burner, with 17* monitor and printer for $279...and a new laptop for $599 (and for $69 added 4 years to the warranty with local assistance and/or fix or replacement)..

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6472
About 5 months ago I bought a fully loaded HP laptop myself. 2 gig ram, 120 gig HD, media package, dual core processor, dvd burner, wireless ect...all for about a grand at Walmart online. Very happy with it. I plan on giving it to my sister when she starts college. I'll buy a cheapo to replace it when she does. I also have an HP Pavilion desktop I'm thrilled with. I'll never own a dell again.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1303
I agree with Nuck.... Toshiba is making the best laptops out there right now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9498
Its my understanding that there are ONLY 2-3 companies in the world that make EVERY part for EVERY computer and the casing with the "Toshiba", Compaq, or whatever logo, is meaningless..cause all the internal parts are exactly the same ...thats what the puter shop owners tell me..

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1305
^^^ While this is mostly true, a laptop is a very precision assembly because of how tight everything is sandwiched together and they all vary by how well (and where) it was put together. Also, the quality of the "non-standard" parts such as switches, jacks, and wiring that a given company uses varies. Another factor is the "proprietary" software and BIOS additions that the different companies use. Some, and I won't mention names because some people here are touchy when it comes to a products they have already purchased, have some strange things that they like to install and implement.

Otherwise, all laptops would be rated by customers and professional reviewers the same, and this is clearly not the case.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4749
i really reccommend the HP DV6500t or 2500t... they have been the best selling on the market for ANY laptop for the last year and a half. i have the 6500 (customized it on HP-shopping.com) and got 200 bucks off of it. great laptop and very reliable. excpecially since they just game out with the new santa rosa hardware!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14021
Never had any problems with HP myself and I own 6 of their PCs and 1 laptop. But the best one I've worked with so far is the Mac. But that's a whole different story.

If you can load an XP OS instead of one with Vista, do it. I am not too thrilled with the Vista yet..

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4763
i love vista to be honest :-)

i havent had any problems as of yet, and it seems to be a good OS

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6518
Buddy of mine at work bought an HP desktop with Vista OS. Turns out it isn't compatible with his bundled printer. HP computer, HP printer, doesn't work. There isn't even a driver available for him. Salesman told him there's nothing they could do until Microsoft works out the bugs. Other than that he likes it.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 682
see my posts on this thread...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/computers/349794.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us