Stickshift Tricks - Tips!

Bronze Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 87
gettin my second stickshift soon and really looking to do some cool tricks....not much to be done lol but like the simple things such as burnouts/drifts...
Post what you know and how to do it..

also is it really 'impossible' to not be able to drift on front wheel drives?

Mainly I wanna be a better driver...don't get me wrong..i know how to drive stick and pretty good also but i jus wanna be 'better'. It really depends on how you 'drive' the car wheter what car u got

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 5456
Lol! Drifting isn't driving, it's racing. Never had a front wheel drive car so my guess would be no. Seen some mad vids on it though. I can understand the urge.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 90
lol i really wanna learn how to drift but its hard on FWD....

Also i wanna add this to the topic : Post info on racing as well :-) I plan to race really soon and I gotta make me a better driver haha

Everyones welcome to drop in their 2 cents

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 431
I race autocross.. you should get into it. fwd cars are good for autocross because of how they handle, although i drive a rear wheel drive car and there is nothing like slidin' that rear end around.. lol. but yeah if you want to do some fun racing, i highly suggest fidning an autocross track/league in your area.

Bronze Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 99
bah there is nothing of that sort around my area...i will prob have to drive about an hour for fun stuff like that lol.....Gimme some tips from autocross..what exactly u do

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 11934
when you are shifting from 1st to 2nd, don't let go of the gas and just press the clutch and shift. you get a big jump doing that.

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 432
autocross is actually quite simple.. you want the best possible time you can get around the course. some things you have to do: make corners as short as possible. start out wide and go into the corner, keeping as close the inside as possible. try not to break the wheels lose, you get better acceleration out of the corner if your wheels are stickin, obviously. other than that, it's really just your driving skills and your vehicles abilities. go out and find any decently windy road and practice away! lol. just don't get caught, i've gotten a few tickets tryin to show off my skills on public roads.. and police aren't to fond of that.. haha.

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 433
by the way, what car are you getting? i'll give you some insight on burnouts and dounuts and what not, but i need to know what you've got. (doing a good burnout in a civic is a lot different than doing one in a big block chevy.. lol)

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 105
97 eclipse...soon to be turbocharged :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13723
Change gears without stepping on the clutch. Burnouts are amateur stuff. :-)

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 107
"...without stepping on the clutch."? what do you mean by that?
I THINK you mean shift via half clutch? and i nvr did burnout on my previous stick..htf do i do burnout? i THINK i shift into first and let a clutch loose a BIT and give it a sh!tload a gas...lemme know...plz tell me everything lol
enlighten me...more the knowledge..better i am

btw my goal is to beat a 03 neon srt4(which is also turbocharged)...

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 435
And no clutch shifting is professional stuff.. lol. Takes a lot of pracitce to get it right, and when you miss you get to listen to that good ole grind.. lol.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 109
lol..dont get me wrong..i can drive stick pretty well...i drove stick for a good year so im pretty familiar with it..im jus lookin for some coo tips

possibly better shifting techniques (definately throwing a short shifter in )
and is my theory about the burnout correct? lol also how da fook do u drift?

also u think it would be possible to beat the neon? imo i think i would..and a sh!tload of it would depend on my driving skills...

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 436
No, he literally means shifting without ever touching the clutch. If you can do it just perfect, and i mean perfect, you can shift out of and into gears without using the clutch. Here's a little burnout tutorail for you based on your car type:

Put it in first gear, push the clutch down. Rev your engine up in the higher rpm range (there is a chance you're gonna stall.. just keep at it lol) if you wanna use the e-brake, pull it up at this point. if you use the e-brake, let the clutch out like normal and you should head into a pretty decent burnout. keep the pedal to floor and control the amount of movement using the e-brake (prolly wait to try this until after you have the hang of just doin a burnout). If you choose not use the e-brake, let the clutch out quickly, or you'll kill it for sure. i definatley suggest using the e-brake, otherwise an inexperienced driver is gonna burn up their tranny reeeeally fast. hope this helps.

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 437
If you've got some driving skills, with a turbo, you'll prolly take the SRT-4. As for a little drift lesson.. here is the basics:

Obviously you need to find a large, open area. Lay a cone down wherever, somewhere with plenty of room to slide around. Acceleratene towards it at at about between 20 and 30mph. Pull the e-brake and turn toward the cone. Immediately after you feel the back end start to break free and come around, e-brake goes down and turn your wheel to the opposite direction. It's gonna take a good while before you can get this all down pretty well, it's really difficult because if you really want to race, you are going to have to down shift as well to get acceleration out of the corner. Then just increase your speed doing this until you are good at it with speed you are comfortable with. That's about the jist of it.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2433
you should be able to changed gears without using the clutch between 2500 rpms and 3500rpms. Somewhere around there. Berny might know the actual shift rpm points. I tried it, and it works.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 110
lol tho how? arent the gears going to grind? i don't even tap the clutch at all? thats crazy if thats tru but im going to have to try this....problem is I KNOW im going to fail lmao and dats gonna hurt the car a lot if i grind. I guess id rather stall than grind but plz gimme more info on the shifting without clutching haha

thanks a lot Gavin im going to give this a try really soon

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2434
It can be between those rpm points. If you want to feel more safe. pull out @ 3500rpms and be in the next gear by 3000 rpms. its a trip I know. and you will grind a little in the beginning, until you get the flow thats when you can just do it normally.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13725
As far as actual shift points, it varies from car to car, so you have to know when you are matching your engine speed with the shift points. You can practice by pulling to neutral without stepping on the clutch. Observe the engine speed at which you can do this smoothly. You have to kinda play with your throttle and blip it slightly when pulling to neutral. From here, you can gauge the shift points. Do not put it into gear until you can pull to neutral smoothly.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 11949
berny, can you do that on your car?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3996
im afraid to try that on mine...

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 117
lol i am very much afraid to try that as well...i can see me grinding the gears lol

berny wouldnt that mess up the car tho? and also as Chad said...do you do that on your car? how often u do that?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13726
Yes, I can do that on my car, but not all the time. It took a lot of practice and some old fogey taught me how to do it ages ago, on an old Civic. You can actually take it out of gear a lot easier than putting it in and there is no grinding. Play with the throttle until you can pull the stick out of gear into neutral smoothly.

The premise was that it takes power out of the wheels when you step on the clutch, but if you can time it right, the transition to a higher gear is really quick without loss of power, because you are matching the engine to the speed of the car. Used only in racing. Mashing on the throttle only causes a slip in the clutch and do it enough and you lose engine power to the wheels and wear out your clutch plate prematurely.

It would mess up the gears if you keep grinding it too,LOL!

Doing donuts and drifting messes up the car anyway, unless you have performance suspension built specifically for drifting and other tricks.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 119
how do u do donuts? lol and what other tricks...PLZ enlighten me haha

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13728
Donuts are more for rear wheel drive cars and not particularly suited for front wheel drive. It is basically turning the wheel to lock and applying WOT. The front wheel stays planted and the rear wheel pushes the rear into a spin.

Silver Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 724
reverse donuts ftw ? lol

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 120
lol how much would/should turbo cost me? im lookin at t4 turbo kits on ebay selling for about 550-600. Is taht good? and wit installation..how much should the grand total be?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13732
A turbocharger, proper;y installed is not going to be cheap. Unless you are only pushing 3-5 pounds of boost. Anything more than that will run you a lot more...you will need to strengthen your engine and other related parts.

Horses cost money, and the right breed of horses cost even more...the sheer joy of leaving the other guy behind...PRICELESS!

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 123

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 133
berny...wht 'would' be a good price for a good turbo...i mean if you have knowledge with turbos..what should/shouldnt i look for when buying them...and i WILL buy it from ebay hence it would be the cheapest i can find anywhere...But going back to that 600$ turbo (which is a whole turbo kit...coming with intercooler/downpipe/headers.etc)..would that be able to take on the srt4?..if u want i can post the exact specs i see...

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4013
f u c k ricers man just get a real car if you want to race and show offcomming from a guy who drives a mazda!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13741
Is that a complete bolt-on kit? Give me the specs.

How much boost can it give you safely without compromising the integrity of the stock engine?

Keep in mind that bolt-on kits are not designed to give you significant boost to overcome an opposing well engineered and balanced engine. It is designed to just be installed without a lot of modifications to keep costs down.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 2223
I tried to "drift" around this corner tonight using someones directions on how to do it in this thread at is worked like a charm... well kinda. It was wet cuz it rained earlier and my car just spun out got completely sideways, but it was fun :-)

I wanna try it in a big parking lot now.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6816
Some engines are more accepting of forced induction than others. A typical Paxton supercharger, for instance, will work with just about anything. Just about. It lays out 1-2 lbs of boost, and can blow through a carb, or work with injected engines.
The air sensor will likely need to be modified if it is a MAF type, not usually necessary with a hot-wire. Just open the battery connection for the mod, the cpu will learn the new intake values and co-operate.
Beyond a modest boost to just the + side of 14.7, can be accommodated by stock injectors. As the boost is upped beyond that, higher flow injectors are required, or at least an additional injector added into the plenum, often referred to as a micro-fueler.
Adding boost without the fuel usually results in lean mixtures, elevated combustion temps and melted pistons.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 154
thanks Nuck..but honestly...i only understood the first sentence hehe sry

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1607
" Donuts are more for rear wheel drive cars and not particularly suited for front wheel drive. It is basically turning the wheel to lock and applying WOT. The front wheel stays planted and the rear wheel pushes the rear into a spin. "

Lol, my old style S10 Blazer can so some serious donuts...... for those who don't know about S series trucks: On wet road, gravel, stones, etc they have bad traction in 2WD and awesome in 4WD.

This makes for the ability to do continuous donuts in 2WD in place like a unpaved parking lot...... In fact, there is a park around here with an unpaved parking lot that my friends and I call "donut park" cause we used to go there in high school and tear up the parking lot doing donuts with our cars..... lol good times.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6884
Should anyone wish to further research internal combustion engines, feel free.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us