Flooded out

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 4142
Boy did I come home from work to a disaster. We've had some very cold days here in Jersey the past few weeks. Alot of freezing rain, ice, and snow. Unfortunately the weather has turned much warmer recently and today came some heavy rains. The ground was saturated and frozen, just now thawing out. The rain just didn't have anywhere to go, except my shop.
I haven't lost any tools as of yet, just alot of soggy boxes. What I did lose was my wood stock. All my 1x oak, poplar, and pine planks were completely saturated and my plywood/MDF rack soaked up a good bit as well.
I finished up pumping well over 60+ gal and have my dehumidifier running in there now. I went into my laundry room when I got home to feed my cats and I saw the wet drywall about a foot up and was like WTF??!! Looked in my shop and was pissed! Then my cat looks up at me and cries to be fed. I can't find her now. I think she's hiding.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2122
That stinks... I had that problem at one of my properties. I put in a french drain going to a drywell with a pump. Lot of money, but cheaper then replacing drywall every time it flooded. Can you claim insurance? Is it worth it, Sometime deductible is more then the loss. Again sorry to hear that.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4523
Sorry to hear man...that sux.

Did you take your anger out on the cat?
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

FI Audio BTL 15Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 10747
damn canaan is getting good with the pics. lol.

on the seriously side, sorry to hear that paul. that is just a bad tragedy. hope you get everything cleaned up and back in order. if i lived near you i would help. seriously no joke.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4145
Still can't find her.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4146
I know you would Chad. I have a $500 deductible on my homeowners. It would probably make the adjuster laugh if I made his come out. Other than my lumber stock, everything else is easily replaceable. This has happened to me b4. So I applied concrete basement sealer to all my walls, and installed a moisture alarm. Well since I was at work all day, I couldn't hear the alarm going off, which now has a dead battery btw. It just found a way in. Water has a tendancy to do that. I might tear my shop apart tomorrow and try it again.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3972
im sorry to hear that paul...my laundry room flooded but nothing like that...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4147
At least on a bright side, my basement level only ever leaked on the shop/laudry room side of the house. I would die if I had this problem on my gameroon/bar side of the house. I would lose $1000's.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2123
You can get a water alarm that call you. Its called http://www.smarthome.com/7002p.html I use them in a lot of computer rooms. Cheap protection.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13228
Sorry to hear about that Paul.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4156
Things are drying out as we "speak" so all is not great but as well as expected. I don't have this problem frequent enough to justify an alarm that calls you but thanks anyway Marc. I have a buddy who had a water holding tank rupture in his basement. The pump kept pumping water up from his well until the water level was above his breaker box, which shorted out his main service box. The water was chest high. His homeowner's chaulked it up as lack of maintenance, and wouldn't pay. I hate insurance companies.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9270
We got hit pretty hard today to Paul, they closed down all major business' along rt 7 here because it was under water. My neighbors basement got about 2 feet in it. I spent the entire evening helping him pump out, it sucked. I feel for you bro:-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 4162
I'm fortunate it wasn't that bad.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9276
yeah I just got home from the gym and on my way home I went over a bridge that was shut down today because the water was rushing right over it. I stopped and looked down and the water that is normally running slowly was seriously like a class 3 rapid lol!

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3570
damn that sucks man, sorry

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1779
I hate to hear that. I've had experience with this before. In the first house I lived in, we had 5 floods over 8 years. In fact, there are 4 50gal/min pumps sitting right behind me that we accumulated from all the floods in that house.

When we moved to our next house, the water line broke downstairs and I came home from school (3rd grade) to find our drywall people emptying the downstairs of stuff (good thing I wasn't downstairs much). This was our largest downstairs, at 3000 sq ft, so then we had some people come and use a bunch of equipment to clean the basement out. It happened again a year later, but it was the overflow from the lake, so more people got affected.

Then we lived in our third house and nothing happened. Now we're in our fourth and this time we're up high and don't have to worry about it unless our lake rises 60ft...don't expect it.

Anyways, I (partially) know what it's like. I didn't really lose anything of value and didn't have to pay for it..so..partially.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us