Supercharger vs turbo

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 10563
can someone explain to me what the difference is?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 1161
well for one i thought only some engines are compatible with each. also a supercharger gives a steady flow of power, while turbos take time to wind up and can lag. i'm no car pro, so don't take me too seriously, just kinda what ive soaked up from streetfire.net

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13066
Go here

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3401
not into engine preformance much right now, but superchargers kick in at lower rpms and turbos kick in higher rpms?

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 354
The main difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger is the power supply. Something has to supply the power to run them. In a supercharger, there is a belt that connects directly to the engine. It gets its power the same way that the water pump or alternator does. A turbocharger, on the other hand, gets its power from the exhaust stream. The exhaust runs through a turbine, which in turn pushes the compressed air through it.

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 355
ahh berny good call. exaclty where i quoted what i just said from lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13067
Yeah man, you can get a lot of info on howstuffworks.com :-)

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 475
" superchargers kick in at lower rpms and turbos kick in higher rpms"

Not really, an aftermarket supecharger is making boost constantly (even at idle) because it is constantly being turned byt the crank. I say ^^"not really" because factory superchargers, like on the Pontiac GTP, are computer operated to create their potential boost over 2500 or 3000 RPM and drop the boost to almost nothing when below 3000 rpm or under regular driving conditions. They do this to keep some fuel economy as well as being easy on the engine under slow driving conditions so vehicle will be more dependable and last longer. But if you are looking for all out power than aftermarket superchargers is the way to go because they are usually not computer operated to cut boost at any rpm. The reason for this is because anyone who buys an aftermarket supercharger is obviously not looking for fuel economy.

Turbos boost depends on how much you are in the throttle because the faster the exhaust flow the faster the turbo will spool up and create its potential boost. Turbos create tons of torque and superchargers more to create horse power. Why do you think big trucks that pull sh!t have turbos, because of the huge amounts of torque you can get from a turbo. I would rather have a supecharger. JMO

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3413
hehhe thats why i had the ? at the end of my statment, wasnt to sure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us