Idiots that THINK they know about car audio...

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 1618
Copper

Went into Aarons yesterday to make a payment on my computer monitor. got to talking to a guy behind the counter about car audio. He said he used to have a 18000watt system in his car (ok, I know that is possible, so I believed that much of it)...but he said he ran it off a stock alt and 2 batteries hooked up back to back. He said "One battery I used for the car, and the other for the system, and the alternator kept them both charged (well that got me thinking BS already), then he said he was at a comp that took up 9 square blocks

like this

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

and he said he was in the bottom left corner of block 7 and the police dept was in the top right corner of block 3, and his system broke the windows in the police dept..
by then, my BS meter was going off big time. so I asked what kind of subs he was using... he said he couldn't really say because they were some Rockford Fosgates but they were some that they never sold, but just let him use for comps (BS meter was all the way up by now). So I finally asked him if he had been metered. He said yes, that he had won the competition, and that they said he broke the meter but it had registered at "point 3 decibels". I told him that "point 3 decibels" is extremely quiet, not extremely loud, but all he said was, "well thats what they told me"..I just walked away, thinking "What an idiot and a liar."

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2595
hahahaha, point 3 dbs....that is awesome.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1619
and wtf happened to my FACKING BIOTCH thread?

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2796
Broke the meter??? Wow. That's some dope stuff right there. I would've asked him what color the sky is in his world......

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 825
I guess it was half-swearing!

Silver Member

Post Number: 826
I guess you could break the meter, but it would take MASSIVE SPL to do that lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1620
think of it this way, world record holder (180db)didnt break the meter

Silver Member

Post Number: 829
Well at least someone broke 180dB!

Silver Member

Post Number: 830
Maybe 200dB would break the meter lol

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12453
Yeah break the meter...sure!

We've measured F-16 engines at full after burner at a little over 140-155 decibels...the meter never broke. And no crew was around during this evaluation...that noise level is very hazardous to your health.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1406
His unlabled RF can break the meter if he threw them at it. lol :-)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 9853
you should have said, "well the world record is 180.x so you have a long way to go with your window shattering system.":-)

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

New sub : 1 ...

Post Number: 10450
now if only u had a a nice system in ur car u could have showed him up ...

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4049
*cough* dips#it *cough*

I went to Ruston this past saturday to see if one of the shops would host a comp and let me set up in their parking lot.

One of the guys at one of the smaller shops was at the show i held at Hooters last semester...He has 4 12's in a blazer.

He did high 146 or low 147's on my TL outlaw...but when i talked to him at the shop he said "yea...i went to a comp in USACi 0-300stock and did 156's bout a month ago."

I said, "dam, what did you change in your vehicle since the Hooters show"....

he says "nothing"...

me,"where the h3ll did you go to a USACi show that they offered 0-300w classes in the last month...the rules changed over 2 months ago to 0-600 as the lowest class"

Him "no they didnt"

me "...um...ok, what kinda power you got"

him "2 memphis 1000d's"

me "156's you say???"

him "yep, your meter is wrong man"

I left the shop...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

New sub : 1 ...

Post Number: 10453
actually what i hate more than anything else is a loud but distorted system that needs tuning & the proud owner stands next to it like he is expecting comments or he just won olypic gold

well out of politeness i just nod & along & say 'yes it pounds' but if it really hurts my ears through dirty sounding i tell em outright ' man u seriously need to retune it since that distortion needs fixing!'.....

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2833
i swear man some people are so dumb

Gold Member

FTW

Post Number: 9858
i was at my bud's shop today and this kid camein and asked about getting 2 10's and

he says-so i need 2 10's.
and my friend says- how about some infinity 10's?
and the kid says- well how do they compare to JLs???
friend - which JLs??????????????
kid- i dunno

WTF...

i started laughing and the kid looked at me with a stupid face.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12466
At least the kid asked. You should educate, man, don't humiliate.

You have the knowledge, learn the child and get respect and adulation in the process. Teach him the the intricacies of your hobby and you prevent him from being stupid.

Dude, how would you feel if you were just starting out and you know nothing and you walk into a shop and get laughed at? Besides it's bad business.

Gold Member

FTW

Post Number: 9863
it wouldn't have bothered me if the kid hadn't come i with that cocky persona that all the kids around here have. like their shyte doesn't stink, and that they know it all when they aren't even sure what kind of amp they need to run a pair of subs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1625
called Suncoast today(I love messing with them, since they dont know a lot about car audio) , the guy I talked to never heard of RE. and when I told him someone was selling me a box and 2 8's, he told me I should get one 10 that it would be louder than 2 8's...
anyway, it wasn't till later that i realized that i should have asked him how he figured that out,when 2 8's have 16 inches of surface area and one 10 only has 10.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12468
I guess that comes with the territory...but a lot of kids get that attitude to feel like the vendor won't be able to take advantage of him.

I see this cockiness all the time. Specially PJ candidates. I'd say 95% of all our candidates have a cocky attitude, thinking that they are the hottest shyte the DoD has to offer just because they made it through the selection process. We don't laugh at them or mock them no matter how cocky they seem, we show them how it is and the humiliation they go through once they fail. They humiliate themselves, we don't do that for them, they do it on their own. Once we do that, we lower ourselves a notch. But don't think it doesn't bother us...it does, but we talk about that offline. :-)

Gold Member

FTW

Post Number: 9868
:-) lol

good point Berny.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8802
agreed Berny:-) I had a kid tell me at a bar one night he hit 153 with 2 alpine type E 12's and that his would desimate my AA avalanche sub because he has never heard of it. I went along with it and was like damn man I want to hear yours so we went outside and I was like wow man thats nice come check mine out, and destroyed his, seriously DESTROYED it lol he was like WTF.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2831
LOL. Learning can sometimes be "painful".

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8804
yup:-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12482
Pain and failure is a good educator!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5425
And all this time I paid for pain and failure at Helga's house of Pain.

Rats.

Bronze Member
Username: Thecrypt

Lawrence, Kansas

Post Number: 97
"Idiots that THINK they know about car audio..."

That'd be me.

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Post Number: 459
this is just stupid

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5091.html

read the last review

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 883
^^^ thats not that bad. i've seen people say L7's have great sq

Gold Member

FTW

Post Number: 9882
so........i hate it when people bang their systems through neighborhoods at night.

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 445
i agree, in 25 mph/stop sign on every corner areas, keep it down...if you're on a busier street moving 35+ and not stopping all the time, then okay turn it up a lil

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8814
I hate that^^

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1427
I was at the mall a few months back and as we were walking between shops, a car drove by with a pretty loud system. It was loud enough to flex the windows of the stores, and set off a lot of car alarms along the way. The whole car was rattling, lol. The trunk lid, license plate, and all kinds of stuff inside too, lol.

The people we were with made a few "oh my God" comments as if that was such an impressive achievement. Then they turned at me as if to ask for my approval. I just replied, "I'm not impressed"
:-)

Gold Member

FTW

Post Number: 9901
fuc_ing stupid people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 468
I turn my system up when im either stopped or its a favorite song, but other than that not so much, I drive a manual and I need to hear the motor to shift not sure why but thats how I've always done it so....

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2664
some kid tried to tell me its impossible to run a sub with 1000rms in a car...i laughed at him and taught him about steve meade and some others...it was funny

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8837
dont you have a RPM guage Kyle?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12493
Better yet, get a shift light for the tachometer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 470
shift lights are for wimps and ya I got a rpm gauge but how the fu<k am i suposed to be lookin at the road when im lookin at my gauge, its not a problem for me to listin to the motor I've been doing it since i was like 12 ridding quads and all, they don't have rpm guages so its all by feel and the rev.

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8860
until you get in a new car and you cant feel the rev or hear the motor then your screwed, its like navigating a airplane or ship you may be good by sight for a while but what happens when the fog rolls in and you dont know how to use your instruments. My old truck I had when I was 16 didnt have a taco but I knew by the speed when to shift. You must not have a loud stereo to be able to hear the engine at all times. It just seems crazy to me, I also rode bikes and quads my whole life so I get your point there but in a car you are not sitting on the motor(less engine feel) and you dont have a stereo cranked.

Silver Member

Post Number: 471
ya i know, but i got an after market exhaust so its pretty loud i turn it up to about 35-40 (stereo) and it maxes at 62 I only really need to hear it on take off when letting out the clutch. but i can shift better just by hearing the rev and acceleration.

Silver Member
Username: Tanmanfosho

Fi SSD15 Wangers

Post Number: 733
thats how i do it kyle. feel the car...be the car.

kid at my school wants to battle me when i get my sub in because since he hasnt heard of fi he thinks his 2 12 insignias can beat me... hmmm

and my friends cousin has 2 12 inch SSI's which are respectable. problem is he's only give 800 watts between the both of him. so we'll see how that goes
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us