What are some good engine upgrades i con do?

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

[:-]15 RE XXX[:-]

Post Number: 4367
What are some good engine upgrades i can do to my car? I all ready have the exhaust and air filter, but what else can i do without getting deep into the engine that will give it some extra power?

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2605
Try some splitfire plugs. It's a good cheap way to begin.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1668
performance chip.
tweek the timing.
paint racing stripes on it.
Without going into the engine you will only see 5-10 added Hp with all the extras. The extras add 2-3 times that with cam replacement, ported, tuned heads. Intake.
Most ppl do intake, exhaust because of engine mods. Modded engines need to breath more. doing an exhaust without engine mods can acually decrease hp due to low back pressure. Your car was designed to run a certain way. Save up and do some engine mods. Is is carb or fuel inject.
If carb, look into a new holly or Edlebrock carb and intake. Shave the heads 1/32th of an inch to lower compresion. advance timing. throw some headers on it with some cherry bombs.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2607
D@mn Marc. Just toss my splitfire idea to the side. J/K.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4368
lol What could i do with the intake? It is fuel injected. Should i get a cold air intake?

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2088
logan i thought you had some old school suv??
what car do u have?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1669
splitfire are kinda gimmicky. The same can be done by widening the plug gap increasing spark time for a more compleate burn. But again, you need a high voltage cap and rotor, wires, More fuel in the cylinder. You would be better off on a stock engine with new Quaility plugs. There is no easy way to gain HP. If there was everyone would do it.
Its like those diet pill ads. take one a day and the inches fall off.
Yea, but you need to exercise (engine mods) and eat healthy.(Intake, fuel, exhaust)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4370
I have a 1998 chevy tracker..
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12275
I say leave it as it is, Logan. Save your money for something else. Think of it this way...horses cost money and a good horse is never cheap! I used to do all that upgrade crap to my Hondas and Acuras, but bolt-on parts, short of Nitrous Oxide and Turbo Charging do not do much for the real world. My friends and I did a lot of testing on the track with cheap bolt on parts claiming HP gains and none consistently gave results that they claim...cold-air intake, K&N, gimmick spark plugs, cat-back exhaust. The only bolt on with a very slight improvement were the bolt-on headers that gave an average improvement of .5 seconds on the 1/4 mile.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8689
another thing is Price! they are very expensive and add up. you will never get the money back either:-( you are better off saving your money and buying a faster car.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12305
Or just put it on your audio gear, the gains are measurable unilke crazy bolt-ons.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8695
yup:-)^

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 749
i'd also love to have a faster car. but i've come to the conclusion that its pointless unless you have the right car to do it with, and a lot of $. i'm settling for a road bike when $ allows

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12327
Yes, but you can't make out comfortably on a bike.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 11003
Fast Car=Me in June...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Premier...

Post Number: 10360
IMO - screw speed\engine upgrades & spend that $ on car audio instead : it may make u deaf but it def will Not kill u .....

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 887
Nitrous stickers and a big wing on the back... thats 28 HP and if you make a custom rear gate and put your license plate on crooked, you get another 11

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 340
no offense logan but it seems pointless to soup up a 98' tracker...not like it's a bad car but wtf r u gonna do, race it?

spend on car audio, or just save the money

Silver Member
Username: I_likes_da_bass

Bentonville, AR USA

Post Number: 333
LS1

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3539
lol why would u want to do it to that car no offense im with cvc.

but thats like something id be doing with my eclipse since its pretty new a nice looking car and decently fast. But its not worth it im just gonna buy some rims and thats about it and tint the windows

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12336
It is good to know that there are young 'uns out there that make a lot of sense. Listen to your peers Logan, they know what they are talking about

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2152
i was trying to figure the same thing out as CVC and charlie, why even bother with the engine mods? keep it the way it is.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 642
You don't need a real gas engine! You can just port your subwoofer(s) to the outside on the back and turn your music up really loud! Plus you could use your hood space for more amps(horsepower). You could also put some super_high_excursion subs under your car and under the hood, then port those to the same port as all those other subs! It's the new type of electric engine!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us