Chicago's United Center....woofers?

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 244
so i went to the bulls game last night and it was off the chain as always. we pretty much shut down lebron in the second half he couldn't do sh!t.

we went on a 24-0 run at one point during which the row of cavs fans behind us got awfully quiet and upped their beer intake significantly.

but anyway to my question; the arena has crazy loud music and the bass is MASSIVE it like shakes the whole place and that is an obscenely large air space to move thru. what kinda woofers and how many would it take to rock an arena that seats thousands of ppl?

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3164
thats how the Eastern KY Expo Center is.
Im not sure as to what kind of woofers they use but it has the whole place vibin

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2592
probly a jackhammer

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1572
most likely a couple of JBL towers of 12-20 subs 15-18".

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8579
I know madison square garden uses somehting called a low end bag quartz which is loaded with 4 18in woofers. They have 16 of them. That is 64 18in subs for the low end and a total of 160 speakers in total.

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 248
craziness, i want that setup in my car :-)

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8599
lolol

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 535
I've heard that Bose installs professional systems and they have this wave cannon that's designed to provide deep bass to a small area, but loudly, I dunno.

EH<>!!

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8612
Bose is overpriced C R A P

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2456
Bose has been successful in the ad campaign, suckering tons of ppl in with their "paper" coned speakers. Thin paper at that. I still laugh when I walk by a bose setup in the mall and overhear someone ask: "Is Bose any good honey?" Husband replies: "Look how much it costs, it has to be good".

Silver Member
Username: Cavsmaxima

New York United States

Post Number: 926
i like bose lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 543
I wasn't talking about their home products!
I was talking about their professional subwoofer!
Here's a pic lol, still, their professional products have to be better.
Upload
I would think it has at least some power and bass, Bose actually gave something a rating.
It's 17' long, has a 16" driver in it, 18" in diameter. It's also rated for 1500 watts RMS.
It's rated down to 20hz, it's definitely better than Bose's home products. Sorry Cavs, I'm not a fan of Bose's products for the home theater or music, the wave radio though does have a good sound for such a small radio.

Gold Member

Nj US

Post Number: 2458
^^^Looks like a driveshaft!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 549
Vroom Vroom! Nud! n! Nud! n! Nud! n! Nud! n!

(The Vroom is pronounced Ver-OOM, Nud is pronounced as if it were an engine. N is pronounced *OON* with less of a OO on it but more like how you pronounce No the N sound. You don't actually say "N" you say it's sound, hence, well you know)

Too much info?^

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8622
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH wow Andre that was deep bro lolol

Gold Member

Nj US

Post Number: 2459
Say something else funny.

Silver Member

Post Number: 553
Lol you'll have to meet me in person to think I'm actually funny. I don't see it happening, you live too far away. The closest thing is AIM or something. Good night, sleep sleep.

(BZZ...first I shall enter that half-state, then the next state. Once I reach the deepest state of sleep I'll find my self awakened by my parents to go to an outing with my relatives tonight (where I'll probably test out some subwoofers afterwards)

Ok Bye, see ya later.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 9722
......dude...............

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1329
Large auditoriums usually suck when it comes to sound.

Yeah I know, who am I to say anything. I am just a guy that is jealous, ha ha ha. NOT

The thing is, most arenas lack sound absorbtion, and cannot sustain large wavelengths for the life of the sound engineers that design the sound reinforcement system.

You would probably be lucky to get below 70 Hz in a large auditorium. Most "PRO SOUND" speakers do not get below 60 Hz, maybe 50 Hz if they are in a studio. The size of the subs they use is almost useless. They engineer them more for SPL, than low, or quality. They are called high efficiency driver or transducers, which are rated at 96 dB and up. I have seen cabinets that are 100 dB per watt at 1 KHz. Basically it is a cheap way to get loud with little power. When you design a speaker to be high efficiency you have to make it light in weight, and a light cone doesnt allow a driver to create low frequency waves, and if it does it will not have high impact (Bl).

The loud bass you are hearing is probably around 70 Hz, and because it is so loud it shakes the place and it almost makes you believe that it is low bass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 556
I've read that information SOOO many times, but it's true

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 115
I have a buddy that I was consulting with on the crew that designed and installed that system at the United Center. It uses EAW (Eastern Acoustic Works) speakers exclusively. Around the scoreboard in the center of the arena is a wrapped cluster of 3 way cabs: http://www.eaw.com/products/KF750.html
Then underneath of the full range cabs is another cluster of sub cabs:
http://www.eaw.com/products/KF930F.html

If you look up at the cabinets next time you are in one of these type places, you will notice that each one is faced to focus it's energy on one small section of seats. And also the cabs are trapezoid shaped so that they can be flush mounted against each other yet still retain an optimal output pattern. Imagine if you put 20 flashlights in a circle and arranged them so that the whole area around was uniformly lit, but none of the beams of light intersected at at any point. This is what you have to do in an arena situation. The loudspeaker cabinets are specifically designed to channel sound into a focused pattern that is very tight horizontally but fairly wide vertically. This minimizes the effect of phase cancellation and also proximity-effect issues. The subwoofers gain considerable output because the ouput of the multiple boxes in the array effectively sum, and become one huge bass wave. And mix is right, the speakers are very high efficiency and are cut off with filters at around 75hz. because anything under that in a large area is just going to cause vibrations in the metal rigging and not more output. But, the effect of the massive output at around 80-100hz by the arrays creates the illusion of much deeper bass. And it also shakes panels and other large surfaces creating sympathetic bass waves of varying frequencies.

The whole system is run off of something like 50-60k watts. The amps are flown with the cabs to avoid huge runs of heavy gauage cabling. I believe the amps are Crown macro's like these: http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/maspec_3.htm

Another interesting thing about this arena is that it was one of the first to be completely computer designed from the start for audio clarity and to control the ratio of audience noise to the program material. Every material and angle was computer optimized to avoid reflections and vibrations.

Sorry for the long-winded reply -- pro audio has been my field for many years and I freakin' love it to this day

Gold Member

Nj US

Post Number: 2559
Good reply. I always wondered why there were so many small speakers at concerts instead of fewer larger ones. Upload Those were the concerts I remember.UploadUpload The arc the strands of speakers have always confused me.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1344
I m not sure why I would want a narrow horizontal or vertical axis, but I am definetly for WIDE axis of any kind.

Narrow axis of any kind is bad because life doesnt allow everyone to be in the sweet spot. I have built an array system that was 6 feet tall and 4-6" wide (not square, but a 5 sided trapezoid). When it was all said and done, due to the fact of the upper management whig's stupid decisions, the final product yielded many many problems of which sound stage was a huge mess.

I would have to say that after building that one at a vendors expense I gained enough experience and knowledge to know better and not design an array type cabinet. Simply it just doesnt sound good and it faces extreme limitations such as series/parallel wiring that forces you to design only in grouping (which costs way too much money).

I would compare the array system to the bandpass subwoofer box of the 90's. For the amount gained, you have way too much to lose. Its a lobsided compromise.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us