Fixing the microphone and cleaning the sub bass out!

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 2383
Here's a few pictures that I took early this week where I was cleaning out the sub bass enclosure. Now I know you've already seen the state of my keyboard which was really disgusting and crawling.

Cobwebs be BUGGERED, yes Spiderman has been inside the sub bass and so I sucked him out there job done!

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2384
Here are a few more pictures of the home-made enclosure that was built around 8 years ago now and has served very well with outstanding results.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11902
Is that a Dyson vacuum cleaner?

You should ask the guys at the sub section on how to build an enclosure:-)

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

RE XXXYeah its 15 ...

Post Number: 3265

Gold Member

Post Number: 2385
Even the JBL 2240H needed a slight clean within the ribbon surround I used extreme care going around the whole diameter of the sub bass driver.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 1918
Get a MAG!!! LOL!!!!!

Sorry.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2386
The enclosure was copied from the original design, thou there is a quite a few details that differ from the actual 4645 enclosure the front of the baffle is more a less the same as the original.

The port size was real guess work and thou this was a three person job from a friend who works in a primary school where he teaches electronics and is also great at building things. The wood cutting was all sized up at Columbia timbre yard the MDF 25mm all came to around £50.00 pounds I think?

The holes where all cut at my friends school in the wood shop that is the sub bass drivers hole and the three 4" port holes it was then sanded down on the edges to get sharp edge!

The extra timber for the inside of the enclosure was supported and all the screws where down from the inside!

It weighs quit a bit we never weighed the enclosure on it's own, but it took two of us just to move it!

The ports came of a demolition job that another friend was working on, the ports are simple drainage piping the depth is 6" and 4" in diameter.

The paint work was also done by my second friend. I bought all the primer and Saturn black spray paint. Some 3 cans primer was used and some 5 cans Saturn black was used it took about three days for the drying.

So I think the cost of the sub bass enclosure came in at around £75.00 UK not bad going.

The JBL 2240H driver cost me £100.00 UK from the free ads so total cost was around £175.00 UK...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2387
I was thinking about buying something newer like the JBL 18" 2242H.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2242.pdf

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 2645
so you don't know what the box is tuned to? those ports look really short.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 1920
Outstanding sesitivity rating. 99dbs at 1watt. Wow!

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 2648
it only goes down to 25hz WTF, dude get an avalanch it would murder that sub in low end output.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2422
It been up to a peak level of 120dbc, but that's down to the mix and the dynamic range of the frequency response also there is technical tolerance levels that need to be kept! Otherwise I would have said bye, bye to the JBL sub bass driver years ago.

I was reading a thread on the AVS forums where someone had blown his 18" JBL subs three times in a row!

Now that is negligence of carelessness!

In the eight years that I've had not one single problem has cursed failure of the JBL sub bass driver. There's now need to play it too hard. But the newer JBL would have a little edge over this model and with the two ports blocked off it will extend down just a bit further and the evidence shows on the RTA and the SPL db metre also the rear kitchen widow rattles to the point that it might possible crack!

Not cool if I have a broken window during the winter season!

Also adding to this it's vibrated my eyes on one type of film "Brainstorm" which has some heavy low end on the Laserdisc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2423
Is the "Avalanche" an 18" sub bass driver type?

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 2649
Ascendant audio avalanch, has an fs of like 16 or something really low, chad the owner of AA had 2 15's ava's in a HT setup and cracked his foundation i heared, now thats badass.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2424
Dustin

I'm reading the Club Avalanche forums at the moment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us