Movie Soundtracks

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 238
Hi All,

I didn't know where to post this so I thought I would just start a new thread. I am a longtime Movie/Film/Cinema buff, and thought I would share a really good sound track with you. Has any one seen "The Last Samuri"? It has that whole feng shui thing going for it. I enjoyed it very much. Does anyone else have any favorite soundtracks they would like to share? It doesn't matter if the movie itself is good, just a great soundtrack. Sometimes you are lucky enough to get both. Cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 364
now don't shoot me for the movie but!

rushour II has an excelent soundtrack it can be
found in dts-es and when you have the setup for
it,whow extrordinary.what a difference, excelent!

their is so much more body to the soundtrack when
played in es /crisp and clean very dynamic!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1290
Good one, Rick, and thanks, Kegger!

All of the Lord of the Rings. Get the extended versions (DTS) for this and other reasons - "The return of the King" extended will not be out until November 2004, I think. Worth waiting for. Apart from the movies and the sound, there is interesting audio/music material in the extra stuff on "the making of".

Also:- "Master and Commander".

Gold Member

Post Number: 1292
Good one, Rick, and thanks, Kegger!

All of the Lord of the Rings. Get the extended versions (DTS) for this and other reasons - "The return of the King" extended will not be out until November 2004, I think. Worth waiting for. Apart from the movies and the sound, there is interesting audio/music material in the extra stuff on "the making of".

Also:- "Master and Commander".

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 240
Kegger, JohnA.:

Excellent choices all, thank you! I just saw "Master and Commander", outstanding soundtrack.

I'll give you three of my favorites in no particular order. "Dances with Wolves", "Amadeus", and "The Last of the Mohegans".

Silver Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 113
Rick, all,

Great topic. One that can be answered many ways. For music, 1980's pop songs actually, I always liked both "Fast Times At Ridgmont High," and "Valley Girls." For constant action, you have to love "Midway." And for a couple of musical scores, quite similar, that really impressed me were the hauntingly simplistic themes from two John Carpenter movies, "Halloween" and "Escape From New York." He proved a score didn't have to be lush and lavish to be effective.

Oh, also "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," loved that too.

All of these are fairly old and I haven't caught them on DVD, so I have no idea what surround mix (if any) is like.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 243
Sem,

Thanks for the input. Like I said, it doesn't have to be a great or memorable movie, to have a great or memorable soundtrack. When you do get both, it's a bit of movie magic isn't it? I love it when a great soundtrack drives the storyline, and you just get lost in the moment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1295
Nice old thread here: What's the best dvd to test out my new system?

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 336
Well, with rare overnight visit from son, I reluctantly agreed to rent LOTR - Return of the King. To me one LOTR is similar to the next. but the soundtrack and fx were exceptional and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I can't recall whether it was in DTS - if it was I would have selected it. Our son also arrived with an ex-rental of Master & Commander, a gift for our library. Bribery gets him everything.

Underworld (one of the better vampire flicks) had excellent sound FX. Bill Nighy was great as the chief fanged one, and Kate Beckinsale makes any movie enjoyable. And I agree with Rick about the Last Samurai.

I know I'm inluding sound fx into this thread, but I think, when done well, they add to a movie's appeal also.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 246
Rantz,

I just remembered an old favorite.......go revisit "Black Rain" if you have already seen it. If not, it IS a good film with an outstanding soundtrack.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 337
Rick

Yes, saw it years ago on vhs and watched the DVD about a month back - excellent! Now what about the soundtrack intros on the 007 movies - it seems no matter who's singing, they all tie in wonderfully with the visuals. Funny about that!

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 113
Run Lola Run, Singles, and O'Brother Where Out Thou are three of the best soundtracks I have ever heard. They make their particluar movie special and can also exist as fantastic stand-alone albums.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 247
Thanks Ben, I almost forgot about O'Brother.....
Excellent soundtrack!

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Cold Mountain is not a bad album either. I like the fact that they seperated the songs from the score. I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on how well the songs and score blend with the movie, or if the movie is any good.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 212
"Rushmore" has a great all-British invasion soundtrack. Wes Anderson actually assembled the songs before he completed the script for the movie. So the music definitely sets the tone for the movie. He did the same for "The Royal Tenenbaums."

"Magnolia" is also a great soundtrack, mainly written and sung by Aimee Mann, with a couple of Supertramp songs thrown in. I believe the director (Paul Thomas Anderson?) actually created the movie around the Aimee Mann songs. There is one unbelievable (in all senses of the word) scene where the movie cuts into and away from all the main characters in different settings singing along with a song on the soundtrack.

"The Last of the Mohicans" has a stirring quasi-classical score.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 248
Two Cents,

Totally agree with you on "The Last of the Mohegans". One of my all time favorites. I watch it every now and again, just to hear the music score.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
QT does an excellent job in selecting music for his films. From Resevoir Dogs to Kill Bill II all have excellent music.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 378
the original heavy metal was a descent movie and
had a very good soundtrack i actually have the cd
soundtrack.

also the michigan based movie grosse pointe blank
has a very cool/different soundtrack.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 214
Rick,

I have the "Last of the Mohicans" DVD and think the soundtrack is the best thing about the movie. It makes the numerous scenes of Daniel Day Lewis running through the woods in a loincloth bearable. (Should it have been titled "The Unbearable Lightness of Clothing"?)

Kegger,

I think there is a requirement in Hollywood that all movies set in Michigan have a great soundtrack. For example, "Standing in the Shadow of Motown," "The Virg!n Suicides," and "8 Mile" if you like rap. Even the TV show "Freaks and Geeks" had a great soundtrack. (Why the hell is virg!n censored here?)

Username: Rockroll_ninja

Post Number: 3
Conan: The Barbarian has been on my short list on indispencable CD's for nearly two decades!

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 924
i just recently watched lost in space again.

and the 20 minutes or so will test your whole surround
system.

from voice to sound effects to subwoofer it's got it all.

Ben Olson
Unregistered guest
I like all three LOTR soundtracks, i think the "Gladiator" soundtrack is the best thing thats ever happened to me. O brother where art though and "Garden State" soundtracks rock.

Anonymous

My favorite movie soundtrack of all time is still Pink Floyd the The Wall

Unregistered guest
I love the Donnie Darko soundtrack. it can be a bit dark in places but there's some really beautiful songs on there.

Also The Lost in Translation soundtrack made the film for me. it's a great film on it's own but the music was the clincher!!

Some others that i like are Almost Famous, Meet Joe Black, The Lost Boys, Virgin Suicides, Romeo and Juliet and Fight Club (especially "The Pixies - Where is my Mind").

For a completley different genre of music taste....Human Traffic, Trainspotting and Layer Cake.

And of course it goes without saying...Gladiator, Lord of the Rings and Matrix Trilogy

xx

Unregistered guest
I wandered here looking for copies of "The Wall" Movie Sountrack. Not the commercial copies, but the fully decked movie version on CD. The difference between the two is phenominal. Anyone who knows the commercial version will be floored by the soundtrack, and anyone that knows the movie is disappointed by the commercial tracks. Where do I find the movie trax?

trduff
Unregistered guest
I am suprised that the Garden State Soundtrack has not beem mentioned. This is really good.

Bronze Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 58
James Horners Titanic in dts digital surround, pucker now this as got some bass and sub bass and LFE to sink most.

Ashley

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1054
"The Red Violin". Very good soundtrack.

Silver Member

Post Number: 613
Upload

Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the sith.

Awesome soundtrack by John Williams, and scoring mixer Shawn Murphy.

Upload
Along with DVD musical Journey that's what I call a nice added bones 70mins running time a the six-track Dolby mix is fantastically done with dynamics ranging from the softest to the loudest, giving the listener a wonderful experience.

Silver Member

Post Number: 662
UploadUpload

"War of the Worlds", "John Williams" scary score gives a chilling edge to this classic H.G. wells outing for the second time on the big screen, with today's digital domain technologies and techniques in mixing, this a must add to the "John Williams" collection, master of modern day composing listen out for Morgan freeman narration, cool...

http://www.jwfan.net/

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3386
Yes, John Williams is a superb composer. I look forward to hearing the music to WOTW. I think I'll watch the movie itself, first.

Username: Who_am_i_

Delhi, Delhi INDIA

Post Number: 3
I think the Matrix soundtrack performed by the group "rage against the machine" titled WAKE UP....is simply awsome n goes with the movie theme...if you havn't listned to it as yet then plz do so...u might wannna listen to it again n again

Silver Member

Post Number: 724
John A

Hallo there

Check War of the Worlds out at the Empire Leicester Square has this used to be THX in the past, but still as a good sound and the interior decoration is far smarter than of the Odeon, and if War of the Worlds is playing at the VUE formally Warner Village cinemas, as they have two THX screen there, see it at the two different types of cinema, and if you have an SPL meter take that along with you to do an SPL test, it's a question of science and historical home cinema factual information, and seeing which as the best low bass and overall wholeness in performance...

Silver Member

Post Number: 744
I have noticing on this thread a whole lot of you have not for one moment mentioned names like.

John Barry, Howard Shaw, Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Trevor Jones, Gabriel Yared, John Corigliano.

These are the composers, yes they have names like I do and the rest of you, I guess you don't watch the end credits, oh well its important that projectionists do, if you all get my meaning...

Username: Rainstorm33

Post Number: 1
Wow that's cool, anyway I'm looking for Empire of the Sun, by John Williams I have tried the main shops, and there having problems ordering it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 830
Upload

"Titanic" by James Horner

Lots of string moments, horns etc, and bass filing the sound stage up, with this DTS version with its true stereo surrounds and LFE, along with the discreetness and solidness of the source material this is a real gem to own.

Username: Tehkrapht

Texas USA

Post Number: 10
Little Nicky!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1020
Little Nicky! Sound's k-i-n-k-y.....

Bronze Member
Username: Tehkrapht

Texas USA

Post Number: 12
Uh... it's not that.

Look it up, it's a 1999 comedy with Adam Sandler.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1032
Now I remember that one, gotch...

Anonymous

Since no one has mentioned it, Judgement Night (Dennis Leary, Jeremy Piven, etc.) has a great soundtrack that brought together Rap & rock/grunge. And if we're going to mention The Wall, we should also mention The Last Waltz, Martin Scorcese's documentary of The Band's last concert. Drowning Mona, with a couple of great old Three Dog Night songs is worth a note, as are, of course, Reservoir Dogs and True Romance.

Moni
Unregistered guest
One of the best for me has to be Donnie Darko. The director is so clever in his use of music for this film, from Donnie waking up to Killing Moon by Echo And The Bunnymen to slowing the movie down while Gary Jules covers Mad World. Cult film and a brilliant soundtrack!

Bronze Member
Username: Ftalife

Post Number: 58
i like the soundtrack to last american virgin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
one of my favorite songs is on there by lionel ritchie

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
also soul food was a good one. a lot of love songs

Username: Turkish

Hey does anyone know the name of the track thats played in the V For Vendetta ppv commercial?

Username: Avalonze

Hi Everyone.

Does anyone know where this soundtrack is from?

http://www.greatawakening.com/PROMO%20VIDEO.html

I found it in the above video file but there is som guy talking in it. I want the soundtrack only. Anyone knows the name of the Soundtrack?

Please help me find it. I would share many of my soundtracks if someone can help me find this soundtrack. Help Please

Username: Julesybulsy

How about any of Quentin Tarantino's movies??
Pulp Fiction is probably his best soundtrack.

Also Snatch and Lock Stock have amazing soundtracks. They are very smooth and relaxed in an upbeat kind of way if that makes any sense.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us