First BR movie

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2653
Bought my first BR today and made sure it was the 'combo' with the digital copy and DVD.
I'll compare and post, later, after a good viewing

The movie? The NEW Planet of the Apes. This supplies ALL the backstory needed to make sense of the original Chuck Heston semi-classic.
The BR? Well, without comparing to the DVD copy, I gotta say this is one good transfer. Great detail, no signs of artificial sharpening, great seamless effects and real color and good black levels.

I'll give it high marks subject to comparing to the DVD.....on my upsampling OPPO player.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 25262
This is the new "Rise of The Planet of The Apes" I assume?

I got it for my son for Xmas. I was going to open and watch it before hand but decided he should be the first. It's HIS present after all.

I hear it's REALLY good.

Looking forward to it.

Username: Jmacguire

Post Number: 1
You are true about it. It is really a good movie. I receive it from my friend as a Christmas present.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2671
The digital copy now resides on my iPod touch.
How watching a bigscreen movie on a screen I can cover with my thumb makes any sense, I don't know...but there it is.

I STILL need to A/B the BR to the 'std' DVD.........

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2684
I finally ran the A/B test.
DVD played in OPPO 981dv while as near in-sync as I could manage played the BR in a PS3. I have the remote for the PS3 so getting in sync with the DVD wasn't too bad.

Bottom line? BR trumps on scenes with fine detail. Outdoor scenes were clearer on the BR with no motion artifacts. The DVD? Slightly, and I mean SLIGHTLY less clear.
Both samples had great, near-identical color with identical TV settings. BR might be a slight bit MORE saturated. or not?

The BIG question? Well, I'll buy BR again. But, for old movies that I already own? Probably NOT. This brings up the really big issue for me which is quality of transfer. Should I, for example, buy a copy of 2001? Is the transfer any good or a hack job? I DID buy a copy of 'The Omega Man' on BR to see. Wife wanted it and it was only 7 or 8$. Trouble is, I don't know who to trust. or Where?

If anyone knows a RELIABLE review site which covers old movies, please post back. I have enough gaps in my collection (doesn't everyone?) to warrant the search for worthy BR transfers.

Sound? I couldn't compare. The BR player was connected to a very good DAC via optical, the sound than going by Balanced Interconnects to the stereo. NO multichannel sound. Though if multichannel sound were included, BR would win, ears plugged.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 25350
I think the problem with the transfer is the $$ involved in doing so. Legit studios may not want to spend the $$$$ to transfer a 30+ year old film if the original quality isn't their in the first place. Plus they have to recoup their $$$ in sales. Let's face it, the movie $$ today is in the here and now. The classics like Gone with the Wind or The Wizard of Oz are no brainers because of their timeless value to our culture but it will be hard to convince anyone to take that leap without some sort of guarantee on return.

Heck I'm still struggling to replace my VHS collection onto DVD. I have many titles (gaps) to fill myself. But why? In ten years or less I'll be doing this all over again. With technology advancing as rapidly as it does we soon won't need a medium. It will all be instant streaming online.

I HATE that, but that's where I see it going.

Ooooh, that reminds me, I need to catch up on my Hulu!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2685
I wanted to get 2001 Space Odyssey on BR. The original in theaters was 70mm, IIRC. The DVD is good, but the BR should be stunning. Some reviews of the BR said it was essentially a HackJob. Too bad, since that easily falls into the classic / cultural icon category. Yet they screwed it.....or did they?

Now, I just looked at the Chuck Heston version of 'I am Legend', released under the title 'The Omega Man'. The BR is pretty darn good. I was surprised. Only a little color problem at a very few points, while black levels and detail were maintained. If it's a choice of BR for 799 or the DVD for 599, I'd go BR........

Now, can I replace my Rockey and His Friends VHS with BR?

Username: Karlaa

Post Number: 1
hi there, for one i ll also be replacing older stuff with new technologies no matter how bizzare this sounds

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2697
For it to sound really weird, you'd have to own several hundred DVDs already. Junking that many out would, IMO, be foolish. When you factor in the spotty quality of the BR reissues, it gets worse. For new? Somewhat better.

I'll stick with my current DVD collection and add BR from the cheapo bin and new movies.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us