I have some questions about mother board technology

Username: Disco_stan

Post Number: 10
What is going on with Intel and Amd?

Username: Kaffine

Post Number: 1
What do you mean? Intel produces Pentiums, and AMD produces Athlons.

Post Number: 19
Yea, thats what I ment. I heard somewhere that the AMD products are going to crap and that was the type of technology I was researching. So now i dont know what to do.

Username: Tim

Post Number: 21
What were you trying to do?

Post Number: 30
To decide either to go with AMD Anthnol or Intel Pentium chipset. Or maybe nForce2 chipset technology.

Post Number: 4
nForce2 is a motherboard chipset tech, NOT a CPU. Athlon and Pentium are CPU's. nForce(by nVidia) is a northbridge chipset for AMD based boards. There are all kinds of northbridge chipsets. Some manufacturers of chipsets are SiS, VIA, nVidia and Intel(they make NB chipsets as well). As far as I can tell, nForce has the preformance lead in AMD boards, and Intel for P4 boards. I havnt looked at the benchmarks in a bit though.

If you end up going with a P4 machine, take a really hard look at getting an ABIT board. The board I have(ABIT IS-7) is an absolutely incredible mobo, and is not all that expensive(I got it for $110). I have my P4(stock 2.4ghz 533fsb) running at 3.0ghz stable, no problems, air cooled, 50deg C at 100% cpu load for 10 mins.

Post Number: 34
Im still looking into getting the nForce2 GigaByte board #GA-7N400-Pro2, more for audio purposes and its not priced bad either, $139.

I took a look at the IS-7 board and it looks pretty nice. The northbridge doesn't run as hot as the AMD boards and how much do u know about the overclocking funtions on it?

Post Number: 5
It is perfect for overclocking. I had a Soyo Dragon Lite before this IS-7 board and I got rid of it because it wouldnt go more than 200mhz up. I can get 600mhz more with the IS-7(now at 3.0ghz, 1.65vcore). Voltages on DDR and AGP are adjustable as well, DDR goes to 2.8(I think) and I forgot on the AGP voltage. By the way, at the last minute, ABIT swapped out the network controller for a different one, so it is actually Gigabit ethernet. Also, if the pictures show a thin blue plastic NB fan, that is the old one, they ship with new ones that are much nicer.

Post Number: 35
You should check out some rigs on hardcoreware.com, there are some nice mod rigs on there.

What hardware would you recommend getting strickly for audio and some gaming? Im totaly clueless right now, this will be my first comp to build, so I wanna keep the price right around 800 to 1100 dollars.

Post Number: 6
Okay, on Newegg.com I put together an UBER machine for $1125.
Item numbers are in ()
Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512KB Cache, Hyper Threading Technology(N82E16819116156)
ABIT 865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "IS7" (N82E16813127155)
Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200(get 2) (N82E16820141424)
GeXCube RADEON 9800 Video Card, 128MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "GC-R9800-C3" (N82E16814240006)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI Sound Card(N82E16829102162)
Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB (N82E16822144122)
Lite On Black 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, Model LTR-52327S (N82E16827106197)
Aspire Black ATX Mid-Tower Case w/ 350W Power Supply, Model ATXB5KLW-BK/350(N82E16811144042)
VANTEC ION VAN-400B (400W) Serial ATA readyPower Supply(N82E16817103474)
Cooler Master JET 4 CPU FAN for Intel P4/478, Model "ICB-V83" (N82E16835103142)
Arctic Silver's NEW Premium High-Density Thermal Compound: Ceramique . 2.5-gram( ~0.8 cc. ) tube.(N82E16835100009)

Okay, now a few notes here. Yes, I know that the case comes with a PSU in it already, but I would get the Vantec one anyway. I use it myself, and it really is worth the extra $50.
I also said to get 2 sticks of ram, because you can run them in Dual-Channel Mode. The mobo has 2 sets of 2 slots to run RAM, and you put one stick in each of the sets, in corrolating positions. I also dug up a post I wrote on a Call of Duty board about installing heatsinks: http://www.codboards.com/index.php?showtopic=642&hl= Scroll down until you see the one by Kaffine. It should help a lot when figuring out what to do when installing the heatsink.

Post Number: 37
Ok, so this should be a complete list of everything I need:
Processor
Motherboard
RAM
Video Card
Monitor
SoundCard
HDD
RAID
CD ROM
Floppy Modem
Case
PSU
OS

Would this be a good foundation to start on.

Post Number: 7
Oh right, a monitor...forgot about that. I always use the monitor I already have, so I didnt think about it. You don't need a floppy drive unless you are using it for data transfers of text documents or whatever, and you could use a CD-RW anyway. Also, you probably don't need RAID, because it is (a)expensive(you need a second drive of the same size) (b) difficult and problematic to set up (c)uselessly redundant unless you are using the machine in something like a content server, where the HDD is being paged 24/7. Also, I forgot about a modem, because I havnt used dial-up in a few years. Shop around a bit, Newegg.com has a super excellent selection, and it is cheaper than most places I have found.

PanFan
Unregistered guest
Kaffine, Let me give you my 2 cents. I built about 50 computers, friends, ect, 4 in my house. AMD rules if you ask me. Pentium with hypo on gets beat by AMD. That's no secret with gamers, me. Any web site with benchmarks. Pen 4 wants a 400w power supply, try www.TigerDirect.com (P456-5001) case 49.99. My case, way cool, fans, led's, sound, usb, firewire ect, in front. Mainboard A455-2031 Asus A7V8X-X (Tiger again) Oustanding board for $69.00 (mine too). I have a Abit it sucks, Dragon, Gigabit, Fic, are really junk boards, MARK MY WORDS! RADEON sucks, will not work alot of times, try any game website to read complaints. P450-8510 GeForce FX 5600 8X 256DDR $129.99 (Tiger) or similar. You will not be sorry! Pony's Pc3500 512DDR is enough for me. More then that no dif that I can tell. That was $100 after rebate at Comp USA, it has a heat spreader on it also. 3500 is a little hard to fine, slow computers use 3200, LOL! That Audigy I loaded on a friends, locked running the install. I left out half their software and got it to work. Soundblaster 5.1 with the software upgrades on line. Rocks my 100w Altecs. That card is cheap if you can find it, it is sort of old. Do not get the SB16, Problems. Western D beats the Maxtor 133, had both, Max no more for me. Processor and fan Tiger again, you choose how much you want to spend. Good Luck with what ever you think is best. I have been through more then I have said and these combose really work well, especially the Asus boards, I threw some of the others away. Adam

Post Number: 8
I used ASUS in my machines for a while...until they kept breaking. I have had about 3 or 4 ASUS board break on me, and I havn't had any problems with my Abit.
I suggested a Radeon due to the fact that all the benchmarks show that most of the NV boards except the super high end ones get beaten by the Radeon. I am an NV fan myself, and I run an NV board, but I think that as of now, ATI has the better board.
As for the PC3200 instead of 3500, thats what the Abit board would take, and if you run it with dual channel it will come out faster than 3500 anyway.
Matt mentioned that his machine was going to be for audio mostly, so thats also why I recomended the Aud over some lesser Creative offering. I personally use the optical out from my ABIT straight to my Kenwood receiver(I dont use PC speakers, blech), so there would be no quality lost in sound proccessing, its just the digital stream out.
Also, you might want to use more paragraphs in your posts to seperate ideas, it was hard as hell to read.

http://kaffine.net/pc/pc1.jpg if you are wondering what my rig looks like.

PanFan
Unregistered guest
I got a feeling you don't game? I have heard Radeon beat's Geforce Boards too. Yeah Right, and Sony's the best too! I say again at most game sites people are posting treads about how their Rad is not working. It comes down to what your going to be doing. A cheap video card of $25 is good enough for the web.
I go with the 5.1 SB because I mess with audio, Wave Studio, recorded, works great. Audigy flaked out. Maybe I just had the wrong version. My Altec's rock as hard as my Bose surround.
One Abit board I bought for my self sounded great on paper, but it was slow. My 8 year old daughter now has my state of the art board. Slowest one in my house.
Were is the vent and or fan in the side of your case? How long have you had the Abit board? I might know why your Asus burned up.
I'm just playing with you. Always fun to make new friends. Adam
By the way I took my $800 Yamaha surround back and bought Bose. The reciever looked identical to the Kenwood. Is it the same company.

Post Number: 9
Haha, I dont think I need anymore fans =p. I have 2 intake, one in front of the HD's and one below it, two on the exaust, two in the PSU, plus the CPU, GPU and NB fans. The rear exaust fans blow out cold air(go figure).

As for the Asus boards, eiether 2 or 3 of them had problems with the ram slots, they quit working shortly after I got it. The other one had no protection under the CPU heatsink clip and I scraped the leads on accident(they replaced in all case).

As for my gaming, thats my real hobby. I dont have a picture of it right now, but the opposite side of my case has the logos from RTCW, Q3, SOF2, Red Faction and JK 2 that I airbrushed on. I was going to put UT2k3 on, but I didnt have the right color for it. Maybe next time...

Btw- I have had the Abit for about, uh, 4 or 5 months now with no problems at all. I am very pleased with it. Also, I think I remember some users having speed problems with their abit boards, and I think I did see the speed go up with the bios update I did(added a bunch of OC stuff). The memory timings also play a lot in the speed, I have found. I run mine at CAS 2.(pc3200, 512mb)

PanFan
Unregistered guest
I'm glad your pleased. That's really what it comes down to. Most of this electronic stuff is chinese junk. If you find something that works stay with it. That's why I'm the Panasonic Fan.
I had a Fic board that would not support a fan for the cpu. I smelled something, it was my AMD at about 200 degrees. Recieved a new board same thing. The AMD 1400 still works great in the wife computer. This happened about 3 years ago.
I would of like to seen the airbush side of your case, way cool.
Maybe I'll catch you on Jk2, the names "Blitz".
Good luck with all. Adam

Username: Jonathan

Post Number: 2
I fix computers for a living and I never ever use pentiscum go with AMD

thats just my 2 cents...keep the change :-P

Silver Member

Minnesota

Post Number: 153
Jonathan P,

Ok I have roughly 1200 to spend on a comp but I want to stay around 1000 for hardware.

My plans for this comp will be mainly used as an audio recording computer so it needs to have the right hardware for audio and I have no clue what to look for or where to start.

If you can help at all to give me a start that would great@!

Username: Kyle___berg

Post Number: 9
...yep :-)

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 128
I am A+, N+, CCNA, MCSA, MCSE certified and have fixed/built PCs/Rack mount servers/MACs/Laptops/etc... for over 14 years. I am the security officer/Administrator for my company and a few other local ones. I run a hosting company and get paid to crack into corporate servers. If you want to bring a living into this and use it to justify your choice in processors due so Jonathan, but at least specify some facts to back up your opinion. I choose Intel quad Xeon 2U servers and Itanium Processors :-)!

Phil S.
Unregistered guest
I have a question on what cpu to use with an 865pe board. The mobo is from compusa #boxd865perll. Will the intel fc-pga4 work on this board? #bx80546pg3200e. My confusion is the difference between these two sockets: mPGA478 and FC-PGA4. Both have 478 pins. The first socket will work but I am not sure what the FC (flip chip?) is all about. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 123
Nice certs. I got my redhat,Cisco,a+ backin me :-). Good choice on Quad xeon2u servers. I like your style on that one. Personally I preffer amd, but for servers its intel only. Unless its Counter-Strike source, that runs on my fx-55. :-)

Silver Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 124
Hmmm Cracking systems, Networking, 14 years. Im guessin you either runnin a stripped down no gui version of linux or you runnin on unix? Im also guessin you have used dos os atleast once in the past 10 years. Am i rite?

Username: Joshockey

Post Number: 3
i agree built many computers and i like amd i have an athlon 64 4000= no problems blows away intels cpu and was cheaper. i personally havent had good luck with intel. amd is good for gameing pcs

Username: Joshockey

Post Number: 4
i agree built many computers and i like amd i have an athlon 64 4000+ no problems blows away intels cpu and was cheaper. i personally havent had good luck with intel. amd is good for gameing pcs

Username: Jim_2

Post Number: 2
can zalman cnps 8700 led cpu cooler fit on agigabyte ga-945pl-s3 motherboard

Bronze Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 77
a+ and n+ are jokes, I can't believe people still get those certs. CCNA is good stuff though...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us