Install Maverick on an old MacBook Air 13" mid 2013 (before updating to most recent)

Username: Blacklucas1

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I would require your help. I was given an old MacBook Air 13" mid-2013 stuck with OS X 10.8.5 (OS X Mountain Lion). I tried to update it to the latest macOS version but without success.

Trying to update to macOS Catalina from App Store, I am warned it requires at least macOS 10.9 (Mavericks)

Found macOS 10.9 Mavericks dmg package. Opened it, started the installation process, restarted the MacBook as required but the update process does not take place. The MacBook simply restarts as nothing was.

Went to Recovery mode, wiped the disk and restarted with a fresh OS X 10.8.5 install. Nothing better

Tried to use the date tip (going back to 2014), installation fails due to certificate issue.

I do not what to do. Do you have some experiences or instructions to share with me, please?

Thanks!

Username: Fdromeen

Lahore, Punjab Pakistan

Post Number: 1
Hello Black Lucas, I'd be happy to help you with your MacBook Air! Updating an older MacBook to the latest macOS version can sometimes be a bit tricky due to compatibility limitations. Let's go through the steps to see if we can get your MacBook Air updated.

Check system requirements: Verify if your MacBook Air is capable of running the latest macOS version. Typically, Apple provides a list of supported models for each macOS release. You can visit the Apple website or search for the system requirements of the macOS version you want to install.

Check for firmware updates: Make sure your MacBook Air has the latest firmware installed. Sometimes firmware updates are necessary for compatibility with newer operating systems. To check for firmware updates, go to the Apple menu > App Store > Updates tab. Look for any available firmware updates and install them if present.

Update to a compatible macOS version: Since your MacBook Air is currently running OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), you might need to update to an intermediate macOS version before upgrading to the latest one. This is because direct upgrades from such an old version to the latest one might not be supported.

Open the App Store on your MacBook Air.
Search for macOS and look for the latest compatible version that is available for your MacBook Air.
Click on the "Download" or "Get" button to initiate the download and installation process.
Follow the on-screen instructions and let the update complete.
Repeat step 3 until you reach a macOS version that is closer to the latest one. Each macOS update will bring you closer to the latest release.

Upgrade to the latest macOS version: Once you have reached a more recent macOS version, you can try upgrading to the latest one.

Visit the Apple website or the App Store to find the latest macOS version available.
Follow the instructions to download and install the latest macOS update.
If your MacBook Air is not compatible with the latest macOS version, you may still be able to benefit from other updates and improvements by installing the highest compatible version. Remember to always back up your important files before performing any major updates or installations.

If you encounter any specific errors or issues during the update process, please contact "Apple Support".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us