Need to remove actors voices from dvd movie

Username: Egxdomain2004

Post Number: 1
How can you output ONLY the soundtrack and special sound effects out of a DVD movie which has Dolby Surround, from a DVD player in my computer?

I use Orion Studios DirectDVD and once I was tinkering with the controls and managed to achieve that effect. However, I reinstalled all the software in my computer and couldn't get that effect ever since.

I contact the Orion Studios tech dept. and they gave me some suggestions. But perhaps one of you have come accross this issue.

P.S. Is it possible to extract only the soundtrack and special sound effects from a DVD movie and output the result to the external speakers?

Username: Edwarl

Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

Post Number: 5
As far as I can see that could only be done if the DVD itself is put together with a seperate sound effects track. To me it is not a function of your software but of what is put on the DVD. So I would be searching the full contents of the DVD. When that is found and selected it would be available to feed to your external speakers. The info you got from the producers of the DVD is where it's at. Great idea. Good luck. Laurie in Australia.

Post Number: 2
Actually, I have made it work a few weeks ago. However, I decided to restore all of my software in my computer and when I decided to try it again, I couldn't get the same effect again. I haven't added ANY new hardware, only the drivers that came with the computer and the existing video card and so on. Regarding your suggestion about searching the full contents of the DVD... I have done that and I tried recapturing the soundtrack and sound FX but have not succeeded. So obviously I'm either missing a driver which was previously installed or something is conflicting with the current setup. By the way, if you want to try experimenting with this effect, go to the orion studios website (www.orionstudios.com) and download the trial version of DirectDVD, which is an AWSOME player. Following is the settings I had originally set when the setup was working. This is what I remember:

Audio Main/Output was set to: Dolby II Surround (the second to the last option)

MATRIX-DCX : was on enabled
Auto matrix was enabled
Normalize Output was enabled
The LFE sliding bar was set to minimal level
The voice sliding bar was set to minimal level
The surround sliding bar was set to highest level
Both of the checkmarks at the bottom checked.
The speaker size was set to 3/5 ? or something like that.

Try these settings and experiment! If you have any luck, please get in touch with me and let me know what you did and the setup you are using (ie. sound card, other software, etc.) I would greatly appreciate it!

Post Number: 7
Interesting ! I must make some disc space for Orion. Can you tell me what the name of the DVD movie is/was? I may be able to chase it up here. The sound track alone is used for overdubbing "foreign" voices for other country releases, of course. I'll never forget watching Burt Lancac=ster speaking Italian wih a completely wrong voice !! "The Panther" I think it was. He had a mutually favourite Italian director at the time and the film was made there. I've always wanted to do what you've - unwittingly - done so we must succeed. ! Laurie.

Post Number: 3
I've tried terminator 1, 2 and 3 and it works pretty well.

I'v also tried it on planet of the apes, the new version.

I tried it on X-files the movie and you could still hear the actor voices a little.

I was wondering if you could explain what you meant with the following:

"The sound track alone is used for overdubbing "foreign" voices for other country releases"

So does that mean that IS possible to strip the actors voices to be replace with ones with other languages AND keep the soundtrack and OBVIOUSLY the special sound effects (cause without them it would be boring!)?

Post Number: 9
Precisely. The multi-tracking technique which is usually used for the various "parts" of the music construction and then the "effects, FX." is also used for the dialogue. At any point of putting the film finally together they are all assembled ("mixed together")as desired by the director and editor. If necessary then a number of individual dialogue tracks are very,very skilfully made - keeping the opriginal language one. I have in my hand a DVD of"Life is Beautiful" an Italian award-winning film. It gives you the choice when starting if you want to watch with the original Italian speech or in English which would have been recorded after final assembling and laid on the film - DVD- soundtrack as a choice. Very skilful actors and translators do this task. That's the "overdubbing" I refer to. Not actually "over.." as much as "beside.."! Now I would think that that choice including your music and fx only must be made before the audio is fed to your soundboard and not during the soundboard-card- controlling program.
However in this incredibly hi-tech age I could be wrong !! :-(( Make sense ?? L.

Post Number: 10
Hi again. How have we gone ? Did we ultimately get there ?? I have been checking the "properties" on DVD's rear packing on the dealers' shelves but cannot find one with the FX and music seperate. Let me know if you can. Thanks...L.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Just re-reading - are you saying that we got the desired results on Terminator 1,2 and 3? If so, is it listed on the DVD packing ? Success hopefully !! :-)) ..L.

Post Number: 4
Yes. I did have good results when I tried them with Terminator 1, 2, and 3, as well as with robocop. I didn't have any luck with the aliens trilogy.

I guess you're right about the choice being made PRIOR to packaging the DVD together. That would be the logical reason since my dvd player settings are still the same ever since.

I contacted Orion Studios support desk and the fellow there was SO kind enough to provide me with the version 6 of DirectDVD player once it gets shipped! He states that there is a downmixer in this version which (hopefully) permit the users to tinker with the different audio channels (ie. front, right, left, back, etc.) I'm exited to see what I can do with this version.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Terrific news !! It's so good to have success in this complicated (to say the least) business. We deserve a pat on our collective backs. Must get a Terminator DVD. Great news re Orion. That aspect is a sort of a bonus ??!!!! ;-))..L.

Post Number: 5
Thanks to you too. :-)

aoww
Unregistered guest
Hi there,

My daughter needs to create a sound track without voices for a gymnastics routine. I've tried for months to figure this out. Is it possible to remove voices and only get the instrumental of a track from a cd?

Thanks for any info you can shed on this for me.

aoww

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2190
You'll need a pretty powerful equalizer and possibly skills with sound editing software i.e. SoundForge.

For those with DVD 5.1, all they have to do is disconnect the center channel speaker.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us