Weird output from Acer 19" monitor, OSD works fine

Username: Acerproblem1

Post Number: 1
I don't really know how to describe what happened to my monitor, but I made a small video:

In summary, the output of the monitor is all garbled, but still there (not dead) - but the OSD works fine.

I have some knowledge of electronics - so I opened it up, checked the capacitors, didn't find anyone gone bad - but I'll check again, might have missed something.

Any pointers as to how could this happen, and where should I focus my investigation? I guess it's something related to the VGA input, but what could it be? (So I should check only the vga board, not the power one?)

Bronze Member
Username: Djsmith

Post Number: 95
if you can hook it up t your computer a TV screen .. see if it'll work . if so you may need a new monitor. While it is hooked up to the TV go in to the settings and see if you can some how change them for your display.

you can also (if you have one) use your driver disk that came with your monitor and try to install the drivers again.

i am not sure what OS system you are using , but also try a systems restore. change it back to a date where the monitor worked fine.

Check the monitor cables ....even try to replace it. that may help out as well.

OR..... if you're hooked up to an video card (not on board) it could be the problem.... you can take it out and replace it again (making sure it's connected tightly) or you may have to replace it with a newer one.

if it's an on board video card....you'll have to buy an external video card ( if your PC has a slot for one) and use it instead of the on board one.

i hope this helps

Post Number: 2
Its not a VGA or pc problem - I have another, identical monitor which works fine if I connect it to the same vga cable. (They were part of a dual-monitor setup).

I also connected the faulty monitor to my laptop, the same there. Something is wrong with the display.

I also used two pairs of cables, the same result with both.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
did you try to reset the settings on the momitor it's self? ( side of momitor)

suport page http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/monitor/0000/Acer/AL1916/AL1916sp3.shtml

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
here is a video that might help out .. but you may have seen it b4 on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtwhCBpsx24&NR=1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtwhCBpsx24&NR=1

Post Number: 3
Yes, I already tried reseting the settings to factory default - no luck with that, nothing changed. It's clearly a problem with one of the electronics components. I opened it up, saw the PCBs, but can't find any capacitor that has gone bad - but I will look once again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us