PC Sound Card Control Hooked up to Home Theater Receiver

Bronze Member
Username: Tonis

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 28
Hoping someone can help here. I've hooked up my PC to my Marantz SR8001 receiver and have utilized the HDMI connector on my video card for the sound output. However this does not allow me to control any of the Soundblaster X-Fi sound card audio properties, such as the equalizer. I purchased a 3.5mm to RCA adapter that I plugged into the Digital Out port on the sound card, and connected to the Auxillary on the receiver. In my OS sound properties, I have three choiced for Playback devices. ATI HDMI Audio, Soundblaster X-Fi Speakers, and the SPDIF connector. I tried selecting the SPDIF option however I still get no sound. I've tried a different RCA cable too. I do have 3 digital input connections on my receiver. However I don't have a cable to test if I can get one of those to work.

I understand running it through the HDMI will not allow me to control the sound card. But how I can hook this up so that I can control the sound card properties?

Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 14948
Hi Tony

HDMI is totally protected from copying that's why you experiment this problem.

Bronze Member

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 30
Any recommendations on what I can do to get the receiver to emit sound that it is receiving directly from the sound card?

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 14955
Tony

I use the jack 3.5mm to RCA input of my PC.

You can also use the SPDIF to hook in the digital RCA input of your receiver, it will not work on aux input.

The SPDIF will give you better sound!

Bronze Member

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 31
My sound card has a Digital Out port which is a 3.5mm jack. I have an adapter plugged into it that splits out to RCA connectors for Right and Left. I ran cable to the auxillaries, CD, and DVD ports however was not able to get any sound. I was able to hear a crackle if I plugged/unplugged the connectors, so I know there is some sort of connection taking place.

Do I need to get a 3.5mm to S/PDIF adapter that will plug into the 3.5mm Digital Out jack on the sound card and into a Digital In port on the receiver?

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 14959
Tony

Which model your sound card?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1709
I've been thinking about this a little:

Is the 3.5mm jack for TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) plug? in other words, stereo?
If yes, than it probably isn't digital out, which would be mono. Don't forget that Coaxial digital is just a single, RCA ended cable. You don't need a 'splitter' to get stereo from a digital output. The DAC does the splitting for you.

Apple has a 'better' idea. My apple stuff has a 3.5mm plug for headphones or you can use a splitter to a pair of RCAs. INSIDE the same jack is an OPTICAL output for which you need a Mini-Toslink. The split off RCAs are strictly analogue.
Adaptors to mini-toslink are about 2$ each.

I'd say, yes, try the optical. There are also various fairly inexpensive ways to change optical to coaxial and also the other way.....

Forget the sound blaster settings and just take the straight digital feed.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15231
Leo

This is good for old sound card!

I use now te same stereo cable for digital as well that the same jack output, I simply go in Realtek menu to activated the output on "digital".
I use one of both RCA output.

Upload

Unfortunatly this output not work for all files, usualy it work fine on Mp3, wave, midi, AC3.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1711
Sorry, Plym,
I went Mac a while ago. couldn't take Windows and all the baggage that went with it.
I was a Windows user since 3.11 / DOS days. I loved XP and Win2Kpro but vowed to escape when Vista proved such a Turkey.

The OP should check if his card outputs digitial thru the SINGLE RCA connection.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15236
Leo

You are right about Vista I bought the big one with home theater, removed it and back with XP, then I will just wait as long that I can before install Windows 7.

I run on a Intel i3 4 core now and I like this PC which is fantastic!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us