Best new desktop

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22865
So I rotate PC's about every 3 years or so and I'm in the market (I guess) for my next PC. I've always loved HP and get criticism for it but truthfully I've had great experiences with them. I don't have the $$ for a mac. I wish I did. I hear nothing but fantastic reviews. That aside any suggestions on my next PC purchase and recommended add-ons?

I use my PC for surfing the net, watching movies and games last. Although I hate that my PC can't run the current MS FS smoothly I don't deem it a priority.

IMO I think to myself I'll need 4 gig's of ram and a 300 gig HD to start. Obviously a DVD burner drive of course.

So what do you you PC gurus think I should get next?

I want a package deal. I don't want to build anything. (I know it saves $$).

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22871
Ummmm. Bump?

Lol.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5186
You probably hear nothing but fantastic reviews for Macs because people who buy them have such an agenda to beat out Windows haha.

I'm not a Mac fan...at all. Even with the dual boot setup, it's clear that Windows wasn't meant to be run on them. So I don't buy the whole "well you can run windows on a mac now so it's all the same" argument. Yeah, had to get my two cents in there. They look nice and are of fair quality, but the incompatibility issues are what urk me and consistently turn me away from their computer offerings. I used to work on the G5 desktops on a daily basis.

Really, it sounds like you'd be best off just going to Best Buy etc. and just checking out what they have if you want a package deal.

If you're happy with HP, I'd suggest you stay with them. I actually have had positive experience with their desktops as well. I know some people really like Sony, but I think Sony desktops (well...any of their computers) are overpriced. You're probably wanting to stay away from Dell.

Silver Member
Username: Harding

Post Number: 236
You should either get a 1 TB drive or settle for a 160-250GB and add an external TerraByte USB drive later. I would suggest a 8GB memory.

Bronze Member
Username: Pcbpartner

Post Number: 20
Hi, I am new here, I want to buy a new PC, but there are so many kinds of PC in the market, I really don't know which one to choose.Would you please give me some suggestions? Thank you!

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 365
If you are just surfing the internet, etc., any PC will do.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14306
id look for a pc that could back up blu ray disks also paul

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14307
also dont get a quad core i did some reading and a top notch dual core will crush the quads.....the reason is the software isnt written in a language to take full advantage of quad core pc's

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 14299
sean

The software doesn't have control on the processor, I think that it is a rumor!

I buyed a intel board DH55TC then a intel i3-530 quad core this week then I have a 2 months old dual core, I can tell you that it work more faster than the dual core!

Wait again for the Blu Ray, the price is not good!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22989
Well I like HP because I'm on my 4th and haven't had too many issues. I've owned several Dells and pretty much banned them. Back in the day I used Compaq but their laptops were worth their weight in doodoo. I'm not looking for a monster as I'm not a gamer, except for Flight Simulator, which eats up my current PC's 2 gigs of ram like candy. Then again I blame all the nonsense exe's that run all the time. Burning cds and even DVDs will soon be obsolete so I'm not to picky about needing the best burning drives (even though I stated it was a priority in my opening post). Even Blu Ray. It's hard to imagine needing a TB of HD space but in today's world it's a safe investment. Ram? I'm going to say 4 gigs because 3 years ago I thought 2 gigs was astronomical. Today it's the bare minimum for even sites like Facebook. I love my 22" widescreen so there won't be any downsizing of that lol. I would like more USB ports in the front. My current pc has only 2. Both my Ipods take them and I have digital cams and camcorders, externals and thumb drives I frequently use too, not to mention a joystick for Flight Simulator.

In the end I'm not too picky. Not looking to spend 2 G's but $800-$1000 is reasonable to me considering how often I use it. I split my use between my desktop in my gameroom and my laptop in my dining room. Yes, both HP's lol.

And another thing. If it comes pre loaded with any AOL BS software I'm tying it to the rear bumper of my truck and I'm going to the nearest parking lot to practice up on my drifting.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22990
Oh, to add to the MAC debate. I've been hearing a lot lately that most MAC owners have such fewer virus and security issues because the developers of said viruses target the masses of PC owners (mainly Microsuck users). So in retrospect, when and if more ppl start using MACs the more hackers and programmers will start to target and develop viruses for them.

Kind of like that road that saves you 10 minutes on your way to work that so few seem to know about. The scenery is nice and quiet on a perfectly paved surface and you seldom have to stop. Once the word gets out many ppl start using it and then it slows down. The surface gets riddled of potholes from the increased traffic and before you know it you can't see the trees anymore because they are blocked by all the billboards.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14331
another thing you might want to look into for faster web browsing ect is a 64 bit machine I have one and the pages just zip along

ps plymouth i saw test results on the dual vs the quad cores but it was an older report so maybe things are different now

also i have a quad 266 hp computer and a dual 2.0 ghz....the quad is faster ill give you that but not as much as i expected

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22992
Friend of mine has an Iphone and he tells me he rarely uses his PC anymore. He surfs the net, pays his bills, checks email and even watches Youtube without hiccups on it. It's on a 3G network but will piggyback of a local Wi-Fi if nearby.

Kicker? He paid $200 for the unit and he pays $100/month for unlimited texting and data. With a 2 year contract that's a minimum $2600 investment. Worth it? Only if you want it that badly I guess.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14333
heres a 6 core with 8 gigs of ram if im right from another hp it should be expandable to 16 gigs of ram

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-HP-HPE-250f/14526594?sourceid=150000000000000314205 0&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=14526594

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 14302
sean

You will see the real speed only if you use many video at same time or many functions running in same time!

The HP on your Walmart link seem to be a very good quality/price, but this PC run on a AMD much less performant than a intel, as well that the new intel board give a very impressive performance for the price!

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 953
its amazing how quick tech. is advancing so fast. long way from tron,pacman and dos... wtf

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14346
thats for sure pimp

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23001
Indeed it is. I remember the Commodore 64 computer. It had about enough memory to just turn on. Then there was my Tandy 1000. I remember my brother and I going to Radio Shack to pick up the computer marvel. External data was stored on cassette tapes through an old fashioned tape recorder.

Typing in simple programs meant hundreds of lines of code that took forever. When you were done and if you didn't have a typos you successfully programmed a 5 second song lol. And yet we were amazed!

Then came floppy drives. 5 1/4" discs followed by 3 1/2". Oh the storage capacity! As much as 800kb!!!!! Large programs were stored on as many as 10 discs.

Then we took a quantum leap with CD drives. Now we were working with 700 mb of data storage. What more could we want right? We wanted DVD storage which gave us 5+ gigs is what. How big of a leap was that over a single floppy?

6,250 to 1.

Now we talk about TB drives with little awe.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14383
me and my family were part of those good ole days
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums