How to Transfer Files From An Old PC to A New One

Bronze Member
Username: Ronsweet2

Post Number: 21
Hello: Not sure if this is the best place to post this or not. I just bought a new PC and am trying to transfer all of my content from my old (10 year old!) PC to my new one. I have installed most of the programs into the new PC already. Right now, I am looking to transfer all of my data content from my old PC. This is probably about 60 GB of files, mostly video MPGs as well as Word and Excel documents.

The old PC is an AMC clone that is Windows 2000 based. The new PC is an Emachine EL1300G-02w that is Windows XP based. By clicking on "My Network Places" on the new PC, it seems that you are able to network the two PCs together and do it that way, but the first option calls for a USB flash drive which I don't have and have never used (I don't reslly have any accessories or "techie" equipment apart from a digital camera which I have not set up yet).* I do have an external DVD burner, but it will take awhile to burn DVDs of content 4.5 GB at a time to transfer from one PC to another. Does anyone know of a better or faster way to do this? I am a relative novice when it comes to doing this kind of stuff. Any help or advice is very much appreciated!! Ron

*I do have an old hub which is a D-link DSH-16 (100baseT) which I doubt will be of much use. If it's anything above and beyond plugging each PC in with computer ethernet cable (which I do have) it will probably be over my head anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Ecoustics

San Francisco, CA USA

Post Number: 246
If both computers have a USB port, then you might try a USB transfer cable to connect the two together. But you you'll need additional software to make it work.

If both computers have ethernet ports, then you can use an ethernet crossover cable to network the two computers together.

Once connected you should see (or map) your old computer to appear as "drive" on your new computer. Then you can drag and drop files as needed.

Also, you can use an external USB hard drive to manually copy files to the external hard drive from the old computer. Once completed plug that same drive into your new computer and start transferring.

Username: Lonniefilkins

Post Number: 1
1. Turn on the computer that you want to transfer files from. In your case, this is probably the old computer that you're not planning to use any more.
2. Go to the Start Menu. Follow the links to Programs, then Accessories, then System Tools and finally "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard". This latter button is also known as F.A.S.T.; that's good news for you because if it goes right, you're going to be using that new computer in no time.ollow the instructions on the F.A.S.T. Wizard program. These should be clear.
4. Turn on the computer that you want to transfer files to. In your case, this is probably the new computer that you're excited to start using soon.
5. Repeat "Step Two" on the new computer to access the F.A.S.T. Wizard.
6. Follow the instructions on the F.A.S.T. Wizard program. These should be clear.You will be given a series of options for how to complete the transfer. If you followed the above steps, the choice that you will want to make reads: "I don't need the Wizard Disk. I have already collected my files and settings from my old computer."Choose the location where the files were saved on your old computer for transferring them to your new computer.
7. Having completed all of the instructions the F.A.S.T. Wizard, your files should now be transferred. Restart your new computer and double-check to make sure that everything went smoothly. Your files from your old computer should appear intact on your new computer.The process for transferring files from your old computer to your new computer is an easy one. If you're going to be selling or merely not using the old computer anymore, you should remove the files from the old computer after the transfer. Make sure that you back-up the files before you delete them in case something ever goes wrong with your new computer and you need to retrieve those files. Now, you're all set. Enjoy your fast new computer!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us