Record U-verse dvr to PC?

Username: Dmend

Post Number: 2
I've got ATT&Ts U-verse service with a DVR (cisco/Scientic Atlantic). Would like to save some of the recorded shows to my pc. Any advice on how to do this with the this equipment?

Username: Ednorton759

Post Number: 1
I have been doing this for a few weeks with excellent results. I can start by telling you EXACTLY what I do, you may modify it somewhat.
I have to start by saying I am NOT a tech guy although I have built my own PC and several for friends & family. I have no idea how computer savy you are so will try to just explain simply and if you need further info you can ask me in a msg.

1st you need to have a video capture device in your PC. Mine is integrated in my video card. ( Mine is an ATI All-In- Wonder 2006 PCI Express.)

Different connectors are on the card that let me hook up incoming tv in a variety of ways ie coax cable, s-video etc.

I have a pair of RF devices 1 is a transmitter and 1 is a receiver.
The transmitter hooks up to the back of the DVR from Uverse via RCA cables. (White & Red are audio Yellow is video.)
The receiver is in my computer room with the RCA cables connected to the RCA connections of my ATI All-In Wonder card.
Then all I do is play back on the DVR what show I want and that gets transmitted to the computer.
I use Windows XP's Movie Maker to record to the PC ie Capture.
I then use Divx Author to edit out commercials if I have to.
You do not Need the wireless RF devices. I just did not want to run cable into the computer room. You COULD just run coax cable. But you would have to get an adapter to be able to connect to the DVR RCA out puts to the coax cable.
Doing it this way you do not need a splitter off the DVR. Reception is clea to both TV and computer.
Good luck. Don't hesitate to email me if you have any questions. I would be curious to see how it works for you.

Username: Ednorton759

Post Number: 3
I just noticed that you said your DVR is made by Cisco/Scientific Atlantic. Ours are made by Motorola. I am sure this will not be an issue as long as there are Composite out puts on the back of the DVR unit for the RCA jacks.

If you were just running coax cable from the DVR to the computer, you could just use a cable splitter 1- TV 1 to computer, but i would think that might degrade the signal.

Username: 67mustang

I need some help. I have a direcTV Plus R15-300 DVR. I would like to record a show that is recorded on the DRV to my PC to burn to a DVD. My PC has windows XP. Both have USB ports. Can this be done, and if so, do I need any special cable?

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 232
Not USB to USB it can't.

You'll need a video capture card like the aforementioned ATI All-in-Wonder card or the ones made by Hauppauge. There are others.

Username: Dvrcomputer

Post Number: 2
The computer must be equipped with a video capture card for transferring the large video files and recording software. There are a variety of internal and external cards available ,Many cards come bundled with the necessary recording software.

Username: Rascruggs

Chicago, IL United States

At that point you're just recording a feed from the dvr - not actually moving the file. Does anyone know how to do a file transfer from the UVerse boxes? I just moved to Uverse from Tivo, which is very easy to move files from.

Username: Fonelab

If you want to record video/audio/take screenshots on computer, FoneLab Screen Recorder is highly recommended to you.
It enables you to record video, audio, webcam and more contents easily on computer. Both windows and mac versions are supported.
You can download and have a try now!

Username: Alice434

Thanks for the information.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts