New Gaming Computer

Username: Sneebond

Post Number: 1
Hey All,

I am going to purchase a new computer in the next few weeks and I wanted to reach out to people who are savvier on the topic than myself. Right now I am playing WOW and look forward to the upcoming Wotlk expansion, however I will be interested in RTS and FPS games down the line.

Here is what I am considering:

#1) Price: $1139.99
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600(2.4GHz)
- Cache Per Processor: 8MB L2 Cache
- Memory: 8GB DDR2-800
- Hard Drive: 500GB SATA
- Optical Drive: 1 20X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
- Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD-ROM Drive
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB HDCP Ready Video Card
- Audio: Realtek ALC883, 8-CH High-Definition Audio CODEC
- Power Supply: 800W
-Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
-Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D Mainboard - chipset: NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI

#2) Price: $1499.99
- Processor: AMD Phenom X4 9850(2.5GHz)
- Cache Per Processor: 4 x 512KB L2 Cache
- Memory: 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800
- Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
- Optical Drive 1" 20X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive
- Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD-ROM
- Graphics: Dual ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCI Express Video Card
- Audio Sound card: Integrated
- Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
- Coolermaster Cosmos Case w/ 800W Power Supply
- Motherboard: MSI K9A2 CF-F chipset: AMD 790X

#3) Price $1495.99
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550(2.83GHz)
- Cache Per Processor: 12MB L2 Cache
- Memory: 8GB DDR2 800
- Hard Drive: 750GB SATA II 7200RPM
- Optical Drive 1: 20X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive
- Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD-ROM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB PCI Express Video Card
- Audio: 7.1 channels HD Audio Realtek ALC883
- Power Supply: 800W
- Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
- Motherboard: ASUS nForce 750i Ultra SLI chipset: Chipset NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI

Thanks in advance for your input!

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8810
If you must go with an intel based chip and board just wait a month or so, Intel is releasing the Core i7 chips very soon and that will drop the prices of socket 775 processors and boards a lot. I see that you've chosen Nvidia cards in two of your setups, well, forget about Nvidia cards, for the money you're better off going with ATI(Owned by AMD just so you know) they offer a better peformance to price ratio by far. Also, instead of the 9550 find a 9450, they're much cheaper and can O.C. pretty well. Solid choice on Asus motherboards, they make a top product. Get rid of the on-board sound though because it will place a higher load on your processor and make sure you don't get a "piggy-back" sound card, all those do is leech the power of your CPU to do it's processing, good sound cards have their own processors which will give you more FPS which is very important in gaming. Make sure you're careful with what power supply you use because there are lots of very crappy, very inefficient PSUs out there. Google PSU tier list, also, take a look at Kingwin's PSUs they make top quality products at a very very good price, I run their 1250 watt PSU in my computer. Lastly, what kind of case do you plan on running? What CPU cooler? OH, wait until November or the release of the new chipset if possible!!!! Prices will drop big time! By the way, Nvidia's new cards should have release, they're revisions of the 200 series.

Username: Sneebond

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the input:

What do you think about the following setup?:

price: $1234
- Case ( Coolermaster HAF 932 Full-Tower Gaming Case w/420W Power Supply )
- Power Supply ( 850 Watt -- [$40 OFF Mail-In Rebate] Thermaltake Toughpower W0172RU Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )
- Processor ( AMD Athlon X2 5400+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology )
- Processor Cooling ( iBUYPOWER AMD Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit )
- Motherboard ( [SLI] Asus M3N72-D NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, IEEE 1394, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E/HDMI MB )
- Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
- Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB PCI-Express x16 )
- Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
- CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive Black )
- CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
- Sound Card ( Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy SE )
- Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium) 32-Bit

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8833
price: $1234
- Case ( Coolermaster HAF 932 Full-Tower Gaming Case w/420W Power Supply )
That's a great case minus a couple of things that suck about it lol, trust me that I know, that's the case I use. It's the best case design that I've seen except for it's lack of a removable motherboard tray and the way the top/front cables run through the drive bay. I recommend that you get a drill or dremel and make a small cut near the top of the case to route your wires differently. Other than that, it's a really great case, make sure you have lots of room because it's HUGE!

- Power Supply ( 850 Watt -- [$40 OFF Mail-In Rebate] Thermaltake Toughpower W0172RU Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )
That's a highly rated power supply but you should make sure that it's modular(so you only plug in the cables you need so it's not messy, this is essential for optimal airflow)

- Processor ( AMD Athlon X2 5400+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology )
Solid choice and you can't beat AMD's price to performance ratio.

- Processor Cooling ( iBUYPOWER AMD Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit )
Are you planning on overclocking or are you running L.C. to lower noise levels? If it's a noise issue you might want to rethink the case, with all the air flow from fans it can be loud, I recommend getting a fan controller or two.

- Motherboard ( [SLI] Asus M3N72-D NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, IEEE 1394, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E/HDMI MB )
Very solid choice as everyone knows Asus makes top tier Mobos.1

- Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
This would be the minimum ram I would run if running Vista, I'd probably run a faster clock ram personally.

- Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB PCI-Express x16 )
I'd probably go with a 4870 or a 4850x2(this is about to be released, it's brand new news :-) )

- Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
You might want to run more than one drive, install your O.S. onto one and all your data on another, this helps in case a drive goes down so you don't lose EVERYTHING.
- CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive Black )
This is standard so...no need for input really but keep in mind of speeds as they can get slow.
- CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
- Sound Card ( Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy SE ) There are better cards out there of course but if it falls in the budget by all means go for it because Creative Labs makes solid sound cards all across the board.

- Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium) 32-Bit
Just be aware of the compatibility issues with older software and drivers in regards to games, other than that Vista does have some nice features and you can disable most of it's useless features to free up resources.

Here's my HAF:

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/th3pwn3r/CoolerMaster%20HAF%20932/

My Kingwin PSU:

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/th3pwn3r/KingFTWin/

Note the color of my fans on my HAF :-) There's plenty of room to work with in that case BTW. Also, look how my top/front wires are routed, I'd do that mod if you plan on getting one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us