Help with my PC!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Mrkhan

Post Number: 79
Hello,

My pc seem to be running very slow, also its saying my hard drive is full, has no space. I even ran the disk clean up but still running slow. Whats next step to do?

Thanx in advance

mrkhan

Username: Triedbyfire78

Post Number: 1
Disk cleanup helps with some small things, but not really when the pc is running slow or the hard drive is full. All it does is cleans up temporary files (from update downloads, internet explorer temp files, etc.) To be blunt, all the microsoft tools are ridiculous. I'm a pc tech so please trust me when I say that.

Try this first: If you have Windows 2000 or above, click Start -> Run. Type, "msconfig" (without quotes, if it doesn't work, type "msconfig.msc" without the quotes). This should open the System Configuration Utility with a tab titled "startup". Click that tab and you can uncheck files you don't want loading at startup. RECOMMENDATION: Look under the command column and DO NOT uncheck anything starting with "C:\windows\system", "%systemroot", or "systray". Anything that looks like a system file should be left, however, windows shouldn't give you access to close them. You also should leave "explorer" alone (that's your desktop).

If you don't have Windows 2000 or newer, trash that machine and get a newer one. If "msconfig" doesn't help, try the following.

What I would recommend is, depending on the age of the pc, start by backing your "important" files up. I say "important" because we all accumulate a lot of meaningless files. If you have a lot of important stuff, back up each separately (ie: pictures, music, documents, etc.) Once backed up, I'd reformat and re-install windows, and all software. Some people are upset with that answer, but your computer will run like it's new when you do. If your going to lose a lot of software that you have installed, you need to let it go if you never use it. That too, can slow down the running speed of your pc.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrkhan

Post Number: 80
Hey Thanx for helping me. I think I am going to re-format my pc after backing all the stuff I need and see how it goes. Thank you so much for your tip.

Firoz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us