Router Power and Location

Bronze Member
Username: Frank1203

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 78
Hi, I am in the process of remodeling my home and would like to access all of our computers wirelessly. I would think that the most easiest and efficient way to do this would be to install a router in basement where the cable comes in and split the signals from there. The problem is that that the basement has concrete walls and I am concerned about strength of signal to the second floor and speed. I currently have a linksys Wireless G router installed on our second floor and the speed is not that great even though it is situated much closer to the laptops. I have Comcast High Speed Internet. What can you recommend as far as Router location and signal strength? Are there more powerful Routers out there that might work better for me?

Gold Member
Username: Donnie1973

Post Number: 1809
If I were remodeling... I would put wiring in place from the basement to several locations in my home. Spots where u could add access points if needed. There are routers thet seem to penetrate better. I found that prosafe is a good one. In my experiences, the higher the better for them.. although I dont reccomend the attic. (heat) Cant hurt installing some cabling around the house too. Its cheap and easy.

Bronze Member
Username: Frank1203

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 79
Thanks Dantetn, but I'm kkind of new at this and am not quite sure what you're recommending..when you say "put wiring in place from the basement to several locations..", I'm not sure what that means.. The idea of using wireless routers is to be wireless! Maybe what you mean is to have the cable running into different rooms of the house from the basement and connect a few routers at different points around the house? In other words - not just one powerful router in the basement, but maybe a router on each floor or in the hallway? I think I need some clarification if you don't mind. Also, do you recommend Wireless G or N? Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: The_cell

St.john, N/a Antigua

Post Number: 12
hi where i live a lot of wireless internet but i cant get on them what can i do to get on

Gold Member

Post Number: 1835
yeah, by wiring, i meant whileur remodeling put some wiring in place... ya never know if u will need it. cat 5e wiring, a few jacks on each floor for wireless routers/access points. Just in case. Like I said, the higher the wireless devece, the better. I wouldnt put one in the basement if u have a 3 floor house. Central on the second floor if u want to only use 1 router. It should work. Wireless n is the newest. I have g in a 2 story house, it works fine for me all over. The range exteders work well. prosafe routers u can bridge off each other, in other words u dont need a cable for all but the master one. all u need is power. They are pretty powerfull, but 200 each.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1836
if u are wanting to use someone elses wireless, u cant if they have it WEPed, but if not, and u get a good signal u can.

Gold Member
Username: Cartier1

Post Number: 1413
dantetn u r here too hummmmmmmmm,
since u know about this stuff .
i have labtap with intelpro wireless . i have a linksys router b wireless. i did the connection / i can establish a a connnection only for a default network . but can not coonect with linksys . i can see the linksys network with a high bars but can not connect to it . i desabled my firewall still no success.
thanx.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1917
do u have a wirless b card in ur laptop?

Gold Member
Username: Cartier1

Post Number: 1416
i dont need it cuz my computer is wireless. i can connect now . but as long as i cancel my firewall. if i do i loose connection .

Gold Member

Post Number: 1919
u have a built in wireless card. Sometimes u have to poke holes in ur firewall, but that is advanced. At least ur on now
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us