CD/DVD Drive Issues

Username: Gustaf

Post Number: 1
I recently built a new desktop which was working fine for about a month or so. Now, the computer will not play, burn or even recognize any Cd's or DVD's. The computer had one internal DVD drive from I/O magic and one External DVD burner from JVC. I replaced the internal drive with a new Sony drive and sitll no joy. All the drives show up under "My Computer". The external drive can be accessed through right-clicking but will not play any discs. The internal drive, when either left or right-clicked merely brings up an hourglass which eventually just goes away after a minute or to and the cursor returns. If you try to close the "My Computer" window during this time a non-responsive program message appears and you have to end "My Computer" to get out of it. When any disc is put in either drive it will not autoplay, nor can you explore it, nor does its icon show up on under 'My Computer". The computer is running Windows XP SP2.

Thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3443
Try this, disconnect the drives and boot up the PC, then shut down, reconnect the drives and reboot.

Post Number: 2
No luck. I have tried everything short of a total reinstall of Windows which I am avoiding.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3447
Have you looked in device manager to see if the drive is enabled?

Post Number: 3
Yep. It's enabled and is listed as working properly. I found this link through Microsoft, since sometimes I get an I/O device error, but I tried it and it didn't work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891894

Gold Member

Post Number: 3448
I'm no expert at this. Try posting here:

http://forum.videohelp.com/?sid=f638ebde49afc4b634b074f0b058aa49

If you can't get help there, good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Slntdeath

Post Number: 25
Well, Assuming your CD's arent scratched beyond repair..
You could try upgrading the firmware on your internal drive. (They're usually available from the manufacturer's website). If that doesn't solve your problem, You could right click the drive in Device manager, and select "Uninstall", Then just reboot and let it re-install the drivers.
Alternatively, You could do a "Repair install" of Windows.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us