LAN DISABLED

Bronze Member
Username: Bradddgeezy

Fort Wayne, IN USA

Post Number: 25
Recently the internet on my computer is not working. I am connected to a router with an ethernet cable. I have an Intel Pro/700VE and i went into my network connections and it says my LAN is disabled. i thought this would be an easy fix so i try to enable it but my computer shuts off then turns itself back on. i have tried this many times and it keeps turning off. and idk

any ideas

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 714
Could be drivers (corrupted) or a problem with the card itself. I'd suggest trying to reinstall the drivers and see if it helps. Otherwise, I'd consider plunking down 15 bucks for a new NIC.

Bronze Member
Username: Bradddgeezy

Fort Wayne, IN USA

Post Number: 26
well i re-installed my driver and lol Intel stopped making that card in 2002. so maybe its time for a new one. thank you. but why do you think it shuts off whenever i try to enable it? and then says windows has recovered from a serious error?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 716
Hard to say. A hardware malfunction could certainly do the trick. Of course computers are quirky little SOBs, so it is entirely possible that something completely unrelated could be causing it to take a dump on itself. Check to see if there are any hardware conflicts too while you're at it in Device Manager.

Bronze Member
Username: Wweraw98765

Post Number: 11
Everything that Stephen has mentioned is good info, one thing I would try, get another nic, either buy one, barrow one etc.....take one outta an old pc. If that new or old nic works and the internet is up and working and windows doesn't shut off, I would take it and run with it. Don't try to troubleshoot this problem anymore if a new nic or barrowed nic works.

==========================
Can I get some more information on your problem like, does it completely shut off, like power is off and you have to hit power button to turn back on or does it do a soft boot ie it restarts the pc.

When did it stop working, what were you doing when it stopped working/or was disabled?

When you re-installed the drivers, did u remove the old drivers first?

Are we talking onboard nic or like an add on card nic (ie pci nic)?

=============================
Windows has recovered from a serious error.....ah....you gotta love microsft.....NOT...

ok
(lets find out if we have any error log to go from)
right click my computer --> manage -->event viewer

Then under event viewer look under "system". I'm hoping it lists your error or ie when it recovered from a critical error, and windows logged that error. Under system look on the right side of the window that comes up, look at the error logs, it logs alot of crap and me getting straight to the point look for a "red" X at about the time this problem started or when your pc rebooted and you got the message. Do you have any red X's?

========================
I will try to look more into your problem, unless it gets solved before I get back here.

Dustin

Bronze Member
Username: Wweraw98765

Post Number: 12
Have you tried running windows in safe mode with networking?

============================
Running windows in safe mode
============================

Power on the pc, press and hold "F8" until you get the option to select to run your pc in "safe mode w/ networking". Should get a screen similar to the image. If your nic isn't already enabled try enabling it and what are the results?

Upload

If it works in safe mode with no problems try going back to a regular windows boot and see if you still have problems, theres a possibility that IRQ's are conflicting with one another.

Dustin
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us