$1600 for New Comp

Silver Member
Username: Sx3

Rockford, Illinois USA

Post Number: 357
I have $1600 for a new desktop. I only play one game (Counter Strike: Source) and I need some suggestions. Heres what I have so far... Case: Antec Nine Hundred, CPU: (Sckt775)Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB, Mainboard: (Quad-Core Supports) EVGA nForce 680i SLI Chipset, HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD), Optical Drive: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER. What I'm not sure on is the memory and the vid card. I was thinkin about ether one NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB with 1GB of RAM or 2x NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB also with 1GB of RAM. I could also go with 2GB of RAM with a cheaper vid card. I dont know what to do. Any suggestions/comments on the system?

Silver Member

Rockford, Illinois USA

Post Number: 358
Any ideas???

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 559
I'd personally go with the 2GB of RAM to better balance the system. It isn't like you aren't going to get high frame rates with one 8600 GTS. Besides, with Vista, you can never have too much RAM.

Silver Member

Rockford, Illinois USA

Post Number: 359
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking too. Anything else I should think about changing or adding? I plan on overclocking the processor. What do you think would be safe to overclock it to? I'm cooling it with a Vigor Gaming Monsoon II Lite CLT-M2LI LGA775 CPU Air Conditioner Cooling System.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 563
Can't say I see anything particularly out of whack with the system as you've planned it. As for overclocking, what I've done in the past is taken it up one notch at a time, run some sort of utility to ensure that it is 100% rock stable, and keep going. At the point where it is no longer considered stable, back down by say, two or three notches.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us