Virus protection software

Bronze Member
Username: Dj_excite

Post Number: 61
hi ppl I currently just got mcafee total protection and dam it wont stop giving me messages and what not. is there another good virus protection software that has everything in it spyware malware all tht good stuff that doesnt bother me that much.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 480
free.grisoft.com

Decent stuff. I use it at home, and it generally stays out of my way.

Bronze Member
Username: Dj_excite

Post Number: 62
money is not a prob here I have very important files on my computer that i dont want to risk; just want what works best and doesnt pop up evry min like mcafee total control

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 483
I'd still stay stick with AVG. It rates as well as anything else on the market, has the side benefit of being free, and isn't massive bloatware like Norton. For spyware, another freebie is Windows Defender.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3387
AVG works great. For spyware, AD Aware. Zone alarm firewall is good too. All are free programs.

Silver Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 137
All you really need is to learn to setup Mcaffe correctly. Even ZoneAlarm will show warnings every few seconds if you set it to totally manual and to show all alerts. Go thru your settings and see if you can find the one that will show alerts only occasionally. If the alerts are for viruses and not firewall your really in trouble buddy.

Bronze Member
Username: Jambumali

Post Number: 26
Dont use just one package. Layering is essential.
Best in the business are TrendMicro, Norton (a bit bloated nowadays) for AV. For firewall - get the ZoneAlarm Pro suite. AdAware Pro, Webroot SpySweeper for adware & spyware.
And yes, spend some time setting up ZoneAlarm and whatever else you install. They will serve you well.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 1021
^^^ Layering two antivirus scanners is something you should never do under any circumstances.

And I don't know where you heard or read that Trend and Norton are the "best in the business" but this is far from the truth. I have been testing and installing antivirus scanners for many years and IMO Kaspersky, BitDefender, and Extendia (Kaspersky engine) are at the top.

Please do not believe corporate sponsored sites that rank Norton and McAfee among the best. Both of these companies have long been known to pay sites to rank their products highly.

As some have mentioned above, AVG is a decent product for free.

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 141
I would agree with most of the people here about grisoft, AVG antivirus software with the internet security, try the avg-pro its even more protection for a less lot of money, actually free..
Mcfee, nortan, panda are no good..I have tried these and my pc was infected in no time, not the case with avg antivirus...

Username: Kngsze

Post Number: 8
AVG is awsome, but if you want to spend some money - "Trend Micro" - ever seen the "Trend Micro" logo at the top of Hotmail? Trend Micro is one of the only virus suits that claims to be able to fix/clean ALL known vermits

Username: Ethanp

Dana Point, California USA

Post Number: 2
Try to keep away from McAfee and Norton. I highly recommend using NOD32 (http://www.eset.com/)

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 222
Tried that nod32, its IMHO alright... As luke stated trend micro is good.. but avg pro is the best I have ever tried so far...
Norton claims to be one of the leading antivirus software's around, but honestly its rubbish...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us