New Compaq Preasrio PSU upgrade issues..

Username: Groggy10

Post Number: 1
i recently bought a new compaq presario SR2009uk PC with its own 300W psu, then seeing as it has a pci-e slot i thought id get a 7600GT card to go with. which needs 350W psu so fair enough i thought id just upgrade the PSU to 350W/400W.. i didnt even know about proprietry stuff till about five mins ago, sadly already having bought the 7600GT card.. im assuming my mobo is prop as its a compaq so does anyone know if i can buy a new PSU that will work in it from somwhere as i cant find any :-( the power connectors a 24 pin beast. or if a standard 24 pin atx will do the job and not fry things up? any help muchos appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 114
If your an electonics hobbyist or you at least know how to use a meter to test voltages, you can reconfigure the plug to match the compaq board. The wires are clamped to pins that have a little snap in device that makes them lock in place when pushed into the power supplys block (sort of like what an arrow head does when it penetrates, it doesn't want to come back out the way it came in but in this case the stopper may only be on one side). You can defeat the lock with a straight pick or even a modified paper clip thru the side that would face the motherboard and pull the wire and pin out of the block and rearrange the pins to match the old supply. Most of the color coding should be the same, at least black will be ground and green the power switching but its safest to test the old supply for comparison. 12v 5v 3v ground and switch. Since the green is usually the switch, if you plug in your old supply outside of the case, nothing will happen, then if you run a wire between where the green would plug to the motherboard and to any of the blacks (ground or negative), then the supply would run (fan or fans come on) this would in effect confirm that the green is the power switch and the blacks are grounds. Then you have to make a sort of map of the compac supply and mimic it with the new supply being careful to match it so when plugged to the board everything lines up as the old one would. So different colored wires would be the only thing to throw you off, red on one might be orange on the other and brown may be purple etc.. If your adventurous, give it a try but you must realize that crossing two wires could blow the board. Your other option would be to buy a supply from compac but they will sell you a $25 supply for $125. Thats why they do the proprietary thing, so they can sock it to you when you upgrade or repair.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us