Windows Explorer

Bronze Member
Username: Edwarl

Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

Post Number: 43
Is there much difference between Windows Explorer in Win'98 and Win XP?
I think '98 is 4 and XP is 6, yes ?
My friend with XP cannot get the C:\ up on their address bar.
Any clues anyone? Perhaps the technique is the same in both ?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10545
Here is a better way

Click on "Start"
Go to "My Computer"

from here you will see the different drives

Click on the C: drive

Explore away.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Thanks Berny. Will that give access to view the files on the other drives e.g. 'E', CD drive in My Computer? I'm not familiar with that as I use (Windows)Explorer all the time.
I think that the address bar is not appearing on their XP Windows Explorer window, even though it's ticked in the 'View' drop-down menu.
Comunication over the phone is awkward both sides !

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10546
Yes it will.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Thanks a lot Berny.
Lots of positives and hopes.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10550
No worries :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 89
Open Windows Explorer,click Tools then Folder Options,click the view tab and put a check mark in "Display the full path in the Address Bar". While your in there you can also check "show hidden files and folders", "Display the contents of system folders" and uncheck "Hide extentions for known file types". These are things I change every time I load XP.

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 90
I started with Win98 and when I switched to XP I noticed that although when I opened Windows Explorer in Win98 it showed the directory tree of the C drive, now in XP it showed My Documents instead. I didn't like that so I searched for a remedy.

First of all you can have several links to Windows Explorer. I start by dragging the one XP puts in the accessories section of the start menu back to the main start section where it used to be in Win98. Then I right click it and select "send to desktop create shortcut" afterwords I drag the desktop icon to the quick launch in the taskbar for a single click shortcut there. Usually after thats accomplished I delete the one on the desktop but if you want three shortcuts leave it.

Each of these links (start menu, desktop, and quick launch) can be given the command to open to where ever you want with this tip.

Right click one of the shortcuts and select properties, under the shortcut tab in the target window you can add this switch after the (%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe) a space followed by this switch /e,c:\ so the whole thing looks like this %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,c:\ this will open the C drive directory tree when you click on that link. The other icon I have set to %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,d:\ which will open the D drive when I click on it. You can get down further %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,c:\Program Files\ would open the C drives Program Files folder when you click that link. Cool huh? Just remember that there must be a space between the .exe of the target window and the switch /e,c:\ and you can go wild. If your nervous about changing it just copy whats there to notepad so you can put it back if your not happy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us