Has my power supply gone out???

Silver Member
Username: Sx3

Rockford, Illinois USA

Post Number: 337
On one of my computers it has a little green light on the back near where the power goes in. When I plug the power cord into the back of the power supply the green light flashes and the computer does not turn on. I opened up the computer and I unpluged the power from the power supply to the mother board and the green light went from flickering to just staying on. I pluged it back into the mother board while the power supply was powered and the green light still stayed on and the computer worked perfectly. When I shut it down and unpluged the power from the wall and pluged it back it went back to flickering. What is wrong? I also have a similar problem with another computer except I cant get the power supply to power the computer at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4399
Yep, it's bad. Sounds like a possible leaky cap, it's a common problem with computer psu's.

They're cheap, around $20 for a good 250w one I believe. Ebay has them even cheaper.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you could be looking at a bad mobo.

Silver Member
Username: Sx3

Rockford, Illinois USA

Post Number: 338
ok that will probably solve the problem with the first computer but I was just playing around with the other one that wont even turn on and I used my good power supply and right when I plug it into the wall it turns on but all that happens is the CPU fan starts. No hard drive clicking or anythign (power is going to the hard drive as well). What's the problem with that one?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4409
Check for loose RAM, otherwise, the mobo is probably gone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us