Wireless router and modem

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2998
I'm looking to buy a wireless router and modem for a desktop PC. The DSL speed is 1.5 Mbps. I guess I need a router with the modem built in, and the modem for the PC. Any suggestions on brands/models would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3140
router = linksys WRT54GS (on ebay)

Adapter = http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Linksys-Wireless-G-USB-Network-Adapter-WUSB54G_W0QQitemZ 140020519859QQihZ004QQcategoryZ45002QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if thats what you are talking about :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10214
David,
For your PC, you are going to need a NIC (network Interface Card). This is where you will plug in a network cable to connect to a DSL Modem.

The DSL modem is usually provided or sold by your Internet Service Provider.

The wireless router suggested by bassman works great.

You will need these 3 items if you are networking your computers or you want them to share 1 internet access.

Username: Pattymarkie

Post Number: 2
Have a Emachine T2085 and I am missing the original CD that came with it. I want to reset everything back to factory settings and clean off the hard drive. Any ideas on how to do this short of buying a new CD from emachines? Also, I have tried to pop open the CD drive and it won't budge. Will resetting the factory settings help this??

Username: Pattymarkie

Post Number: 3
OOps, sorry, I posted in the wrong place. Can you tell I'm not too computer savvy?? Sorry..

Silver Member
Username: Nikk

Post Number: 917
David..

The WRT54GS is definitely the best option, the DSL modem must be connected to the WRT54 using a regular network cable and you will need to install a NIC into your desktop PC and connect that to the WRT54 using another regular network cable, after that you won't need any kind of software to install in your PC, just open IE and type the WRT54 default IP address, that will take you to the configuration page, type the password to grant access and configure the login to the DSL modem there....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us