Yo, anyone know?? berny jexx whoever

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2960
instaed of me just gettin my wireless adapter for my upstairs comp, can i just run 2 ethent cables form the downstairs atenna - one to my upstairs tower, so i get internet, and one to my xbox, for xbox live???

cause, for the wireless adapter for the upstairs, i dont think i can run a ethent from the adapter to my xbox and the tower, cause it only has one output i believe correct?

because if i am wanting internet and xbox live, (both devices ae upstairs) wouldnt it be easier to just run ethernets to my tower upstairs and my xbox??

would i lose any kind of speed or anything, than if i were to do that, and not get an adapter

by the way, i have the Linksys WRT54G wireless router

and the Linksys adapter with just one atenna..

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9504
bassman3,

Let me get this straight.

You have one pc downstairs right?

You have another pc tower and an xbox upstairs.

You have one Linksys wireless router.

This is what needs to happen:

high speed internet --> linksys wireless router --> downstairs pc

xbox with wireless adapter --> linksys wireless router

upstairs tower with wireless adapter --> linksys wireless router

Cat 5 cable is not cheap, it will probably be cheaper to get the wireless adapters than get long runs of cat 5.

Both your upstairs tower and xbox live will connect to that one linksys wireless router downstairs, you will not lose any speed that is noticeable.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2961
yea, thats right

since the linksys wireless adapter for my upstairs comp wouldnt let me be connected the the xbox, cause you can only go from the adapter > comp,, cause i dont think it has another output so i could run another ethent to my xbox...

i was thinking if i could get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124005

then put this upstairs... next to my comp,,,, then just run a ethent from that switch to the comp, then another from the switch to the xbox... thats what another guy recommended

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2962
and cat5 isnt that expensive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100FT-CAT5-CAT5e-Cat-5-NETWORK-CABLE-WHITE_W0QQitemZ22001525 2534QQihZ012QQcategoryZ51185QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i could get 2 of those right...and then just run from router to PC upstairs and then from router to xbox...

or should i get the switch.. which one,

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3938
Cool, so you have wifi in the house? :P Nice.

Why not just buy that wifi adaptor made specifically for the XBOX? That's the beauty of wifi, you can run tons of adaptors and connections all off that one signal.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2969
i know. i want to, but its like 80 bucks on ebay, for the xbox one. :-(

i am trying to find something (like the adapter) that would receive the signal from downstairs, BUT has 2 ethernet outputs so that i could just connect one to my comp and one to my xbox.

is there anything like that???

does a reg wireless adapter even have a ethernet output? -- or do you connect through a usb?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3940
All of the ones I've seen are connected via a USB so they don't have to be plugged into the wall for power. There might be one out there that has an ethernet out on it...

Isn't this the adaptor you want? http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-Wireless-Network-Adaptor-a-must-have_W0QQitemZ140016338 981QQihZ004QQcategoryZ122517QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3941
Or is this the one you wanted? http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-wireless-g-adapter-mn-740-xbox-360_W0QQit emZ170015790037QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41015QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2970
the first one, was the one i was talking about. i dont know much about the second one, what is it? and how does it connect?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3942
It looks like the first connects via USB.

The second one is for the original Xbox and should work for your 360. Its model number is: MN-740 Guess what...it's an adaptor that converts the wireless to an ethernet out.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2972
yea, i know. i think, for the lowest cost solution, i am just gonna get 2 cat5 cables, and just run thenm through my house, one to my PC and one to my xbox. i can run it through the attic or somthin. its would be low cost and will work just if not better :-)

i dont have alot of mony right now heh heh, dam car audio

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2973
so when i do this, how is my computer upstairs gonna reconize that it should be hooked to th net? will somethin pop-up or somthin?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9522
bassman,
If you can just get the cat5 for cheap, just connect it to the router/switch and you are done. You'll have less hassles. All you do is connect them and you are in business, none of that nonsense involved with wireless, it is more secure too...you don't have to worry about free loaders on your wireless.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3946
He can always encrypt it, though.

For a bit more than the price of two 100ft lengths of ethernet cable, you can get a wifi card for your xbox. If you do go with the cables, how will you run both from the same source? Is there more than one ethernet output?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2974
yes there is... The linksys WRT54G router, have 4 or 5 ports.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9526
Wirelss or direct connection? Which is going to be more economical for you?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3950
Might as well do wired then, it's more messy but it's faster.

I would prefer wireless myself, but it's up to you. You'd be saving $20 max.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2975
i'd be saving more. because i can get 2 100ft stands of cat5 for 20 bucks.

if i were to go the other way, i would have to get xbox adapter, alone is 60-70 bucks

but there is no down benefit for going wired correct? -- cause i just dont have much money right now, and i think 200 ft of cat5 for 20 bucks is hella good.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 9532
I haven't seen a downside with wired. If you can save with wired, just do it. You need to spend that money on your car audio lol :-)

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3965
The adaptor goes for around $40... http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-wireless-g-adapter-mn-740-xbox-360_W0QQit emZ170015790037QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41015QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The only downside to wired is actually wiring it.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2976
lol. of course

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2987
also, whats another name for ethernet. because i am looking on my upstairs comp, and i just want to make sure it has an output for one. Its an IBM Aptiva computer around a 1996-1998. and i just want to know if there is another name for it, because i am looking in the back of the book and it doesnt say ethent, it has all these connecter names.

dont all comps come with a ethernet output?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3977
Cat5 is the only other name. If it was made around '96-98 then chances are incredibly slim of it having an ethernet port. Just look at the back and see if it's there...If there isn't one, you would have to buy an ethernet card for it.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2988
how much is an ethernet card? you got a link for one?

i have one "ethernet" looking port that says "phone" and then another next to it saying "line"

and then i have another one of those just a couple inches above that,it shows another kind of ethernet output where it says ACT, 10a and 100a next to it...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3982
The ethernet is slightly wider than the normal phone connection...is there an ethernet cable around to try it out?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2989
yea, i used my ethent that came with my xbox 360, and it fits perfectly and snaps into place, in the one that next to ACT, 100a, and 10a...

it doesnt fit in the phone connection ones.......

Gold Member

Post Number: 9542
Then you are in business.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3986
^Yep.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2990
yessssss. more money to spend on car audio :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 9558
Let us know how it goes, bassman.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2997
k. i will :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts