Compaq problem - won't always turn on

Username: Cpetroq

West Chester, Ohio USA

Post Number: 1
Hey there - I need some 'expert' advice! The other day when I fired up my pc it wouldn't come on. I tried moving the power cord to the wall outlet directly - nothing. Tried various other power cords and outlets that I know work - nothing. Took the pc in (extended warr.) they plugged it in - it works! I take it home plug it in the kitchen, it comes on. So.. I take it up to the office and plug it in .. nothing!! Ok .. I'm ready to lose it since no one can make sense of this. When the unit doesn't come on .. the power supply light just blinks slow and faint; even when not plugged in. What's going on?? Any ideas? Could the power supply just be 'going?' Thanks much!!

Bronze Member
Username: Dsmith07

Post Number: 67
possible short in wire...maybe i have no clue..or it could be possessed, you never know with these computers.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8416
Make sure that the power outlet in the office has power. Plug something else in and see if it has power at all.

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 42
Sometimes older wall outlets become loose inside and don't connect well to the plug. Since its a pain to replace the outlet here's a trick I learned to fix the plug. Place one of the flat prongs perpendicular to a desk or table top and using a small flat blade screwdriver or knife push down at the center of the prong to open it up a little. Most plugs are made by folding over the metal to form the tang so if you can get between the folds you can expand the plug for better contact to the wall outlet. repeat for the other tang.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us