Weak Strength, Odd Behaviour

Bronze Member
Username: Mikewhite

Amherstburg, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 27
hey guys, just wondering. I got the D-Link DWL-G122, it's a wireless USB. I have another computer in my basement, which is directly hooked to the internet through a DSL Modem. My other computer, the wireless one, is all the way upstairs on the second floor, and I am wondering if that is what the problem is. Occasionally, maybe every 3 days or so, the signal dies and then miraculously comes to life the next day. Not once since I've got it have I ever pushed connect and it worked! (I wish) It connects when it wants to, and that's it. All I want to know, is whether the level of the two computers have a major impact on signal strength. How can I improve this? I do have a cordeless telephone nearby and a few remotes, would those also affect it? PLEASE HELP, THANKS GUYS!!

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 26
Sounds like you need a booster station somewhere between the two. try googling "wifi booster" or "wifi access point". I believe an access point is a unit that sits between the transmiter and reciever to help with long transmissions throughout the house. Different things can effect the transmission like microwaves tv's and radios. When installing an access point you should try it in different places and don't mount it permenantly until you find a good spot where your connection stays high.

Bronze Member
Username: Mikewhite

Amherstburg, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 28
awesome and are these available at say, best buy or futureshop? whats the price range anyone know? thanks

Username: Nemoroots

Post Number: 1
also another reason you need a signal booster... is the fact that you are using D-Link... always use Linksys (i have never had any luck with D-Link... and that is what i do for a living.. NETWORKING)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us