Best antivirus....spyware...all that crap

Bronze Member
Username: Dj_excite

Post Number: 45
what would be the best antivirus software regardless of price, dont care if it uses as much system resources as mcafee does, my mcafee isnt running right on my computer maybe cuz of windows xp pro cant be bothered to inspect why

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2786
McAfee is a horrible scanner. In fact, it only seems to make computers run worse.

Best scanners ever? There are two, one for viruses/vulnerabilities/some spyware and one dedicated to spyware. Both are absolutely free.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com runs from your web browser (I would suggest using Internet Explorer).

http://www.download.com/3405-8022-5153545.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5 This is Adaware, it will remove the spyware on your computer. This one needs to be downloaded.

Finally, If you want to protect yourself from future viruses/spyware, use Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/) instead of Internet Explorer-the change is huge.

My take on virus programs that are on constantly? They're trash. They don't protect against invasion like they should and their real-time scanning just sucks RAM and slows down your computer.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7247
Jexx what makes it the "best"? Any studies done on these things? I am curious myself.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2791
Studies probably wouldn't be very valid as the antivirus/spyware programs change so constantly...I say they're the best based on experience, and from having to clean other's computers as well. I've been using them for more than three years and have only had a few viruses (none of which were enough to require a reformat of the HDD) whereas before, I had constant virus/spyware invasions that wrecked my HDD, once so badly I had no other choice than to send it back to the manufacturer so they could reload the OS (the restoration discs were partioned off on the HDD-thanks Compaq!). I also have a few friends who are computer techs who use them for customer computers almost regularly...

Bronze Member
Username: Dj_excite

Post Number: 50
yea my common sense is being triggered right now i think you are partially right jexx. since they change so often and come out with so many that they are not sure how it would react in peoples computer the web ones are prob better. since people creat viruses the softwares can not always catch all of them so might as well go with that free thing jexx was saying

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7264
Good information to know Jexx. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Aculous

Post Number: 11
PC-Cillin is the best consumer grade virus program but you have you pair it with anti-spy/adware programs too. This is what I would use.

PC-Cillin
Lavasoft's Adaware (scan every week)
Spybot Search and Destroy (scan every week)

Also if you are in college you should be able to get a copy of Norton Antivirus corporate edition for free or a small fee. Well Norton Corporate is the best but hard to come by. But none of these programs are worth anything if you don't keep them updated. So make sure you set up auto update on all of these and you should be fine.

Username: Spades

Post Number: 4
eTrust EZ Antivirus
You can download a year free trial at Microsoft.com. It works perfectly fine and detects bugs and viruses right as they enter your system, registry, or BIOS. That way, it's easy to get rid of the virus/trojan/bug.

I agree with Jexx about Mozilla Firefox. It has great protection, it's free, and it's even smoother to operate! It's much faster than IE, too. Plus it has a lot of neat plug-ins and such.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us