PLEASE HELP ! Real slow DVD burning speeds

Username: Kngsze

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony 16x DVD re-writer. Dual layer etc.
Using Nero to burn DVD's it is taking around 50 - 80 mins, this even @ max speed. Decryption is also taking around the same time
I have tested the drive speed and all comes back reading capable speed of 16x. Am I doing something wrong??

Bronze Member
Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 83
what is the whole spec on the burner. there should be a + speed and a - speed. usually the + speed is higher. if the burner is capable of burning at 16x with a dvd+r and only 4x with a dvd-r then your problem is that your using the wrong media for top speed. as for the decryption part, theres nothing really you can do but upgrade your whole computer. mine decrypts in about 40 min and burns in about 10 min. i have a dvd+/-16x double layer.

Post Number: 2
This is the full spec from where i bought the burner (it was Phillips, not Sony) :
Features for this PHILIPS PH142069
Philips PBDV1628B Internal DVD Rewriter - Massive 8.5GB of Storage Space - 4 Hours of DVD Quality Video - Dual Format Drive - 16x Recording of DVD+R - 8x on DVD+R - 48x on CD-R - Dynamic Calibration Optimises DVD Qulty - Black Bezel Facia

I am currently using 16x +R dics (taking around 60min to burn). have also used 8X -R dics (taking around 70 - 90 min to burn).

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2463
You need to go into device manager and set all your drives to DMA, not PIO.

Post Number: 3
To do this, I need to change IDE controllers to DMA. Do I need to change both DVD drive & Hard Drive?
Can you confirm this for me?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2468
It will probably be the HD on Pio. Yes, both the HD and burner need to be DMA.

Post Number: 4
Changed the settings.
Primary IDE 1, device 0 under "current transfer mode" it is reading "ultra DMA". Device 1 "n\A"
Primary IDE 2, device 0 under "current transfer mode" reading 'Ultra DMA'. Device 1 reading "PIO only"
I am 99% sure that my DVD is on secondary IDE dev 1. Does this mean that DMA is not available for me? Or how can I check 100% what my DVD burner is on?

many thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2470
Once you get in device manager, double click DVD/CD-ROM drives and right click the burner, click properties, if it says device 1, it's the slave drive. If it's the slave drive, exchange slots with the other drive and change the jumpers to make the other drive slave and the burner master.

Post Number: 5
Genius! All is sorted now. Swapped drives round and I can now burn / decrypt a DVD in 8 mins.
Many thanks ! !

Username: Geeksquad1516

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/computers/217153.html

How do u get to Device Manager? Mine takes 9 hours all the details are in the hyperlinked thread

Gold Member

Post Number: 2516
Click start
control panel
performance & maintence
system
hardware
device manager
double click IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
right click each drive and select properties
click advanced settings, everything should be DMA, not PIO.
You may have to do the same thing with the burner.

Username: Knexlage

Post Number: 1
Hi. I am having the same problem. But after changing everything into DMA mode, the burner is still very slow. My burner is Sony DRX-820U and the maximum speed is 16x. But after testing the drive, the result shows that the average burning speed is 1.43x only. Do you have any idea what is happening?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2808
Some PCs have problems staying in DMA mode, they go back to PIO after being shut down. Go back into device manager and see if the drives are still set to DMA. Did you check to see if the burner is set to DMA too? If you can't find what the burner is set to in device manager, you can look in BIOS to see what the transfer mode is.

Username: Knexlage

Hi David. I have checked my device manager and i have set my drives to DMA. But the burning speed is still slow. How do you check the burner in BIOS? Do you have any email or messenger that I can contact you to talk about this with more details? Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2809
You can PM me by clicking on my name, I can only reply if you have your e-mail in the message or if you accept messages through here. Just go into BIOS, on my PC I hold F1 while booting up, in main, go down to your burner and press enter, it will give the transfer mode.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us