Is it possible to splice a stereo cord into a headphone cord?

Username: Lozhkinlev

San Fransisco, CA America

Post Number: 1
I am not very good at this, so please do not flame:
My computer only takes headphone jack (obviously), and I finally got new speakers for my 5cd player, so I want to use my old speakers for my computer, I have ripped apart one of my old headphones and the wires consist of two wires, though the stereo speakers consist of many, and I also believe the headphones are brass, while the stereo is copper. I gave my old small speakers with headphone jack to my sister and I do not think she will be giving it back.... ever.... so could you please help me if it is possible to splice the stereo and headphone wires, and if yes, then how?... I do not have any more equipment then a soderer (friends) and some wire cutters.... I can't go out and buy expensive equipment for this... or any equipment actually.... after getting the new speakers I am now labeled "broke".

I am new to this, so please don't flame, and if you know how to please post, thank you.

I know nothing about this subject, please help.
Lev Lozhkin

Bronze Member
Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 81
u cant connect speakers directly into the headphone jack of a computer. unless the speaker is amplified, meaning connected to a wall outlet. if they are the kind that connect to the wall, then the connector for it will most likely have a headphone jack n e way. i suggest either getting computer speakers or connecting the computer to the amp for the cd player. u can do this using a headphone to rca cable.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2755
Yeah, to clarify, the headphone jack only puts out about .5W of power for headphones/computer speakers. The speakers you're trying to hook up will most likely need at least 40W of power. You'll need an amplifier between the computer and the speakers or you'll get little to no sound.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for telling me, I basicly gave up that project and now have my four big speakers all hooked up to my stereo.... I do have a bit of a problem though, my volume control has a limit, but my speakers can go four or five times higher than that (I put different speakers in and they are powerful enough to shake my house), is there any way to change the volume control limitations?

Thanks in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 82
volume control for the sound coming out of the computer? thats probably because you have the master volume set low or the wave volume set low. to adjust either, go down to the clock on your desktop on the lower right and double click on the speaker icon. careful not to set that volume to high or you will get distortation out of the stereo.

Post Number: 5
I meant the volume control on my stereo, on my computer I can just reconfigure msoft's vollume cotnrol, or use a diff program for it more specified. I know a lot about the general pc area, aspecially msoft's programs, and hardware I'm basicly good with all pc related hardware, so I wouldnt ask questions related to above topics, linux on the other hand.... yeah

Well basicly my second question was is it possible to adjust volume control on my stereo so it can allow my speakers to go full force, because it limits my speakers down to about 20 percent :-(

Thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2760
An amplifier can only provide so much power. If you need more power, you'll need a bigger amplifier. Otherwise, you'll need to add different, more high powered components that the case probably won't contain and will require engineering skills :P
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us