Compaq Presario 700 locking up?

Username: Mkruluts

Post Number: 1
My Compaq Presario 700 will work for a while. I have the screen saver set to a blank screen. None of the settings are set to go to standby or turn of hard drive or anything. I know a good deal about computers, however, this has me stumped. If i leave the computer alone for a half hour or longer it completely locks up. It shows every sign of being on and even the screen is slightly lit from the blank screen saver. However, it will not allow me to get out of the blank screen. The lighted mouse show conectivity but acts as if it isn't and same with the keyboard. Does anybody have any idea?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2447
You don't want to try disabling the screensaver first?

Username: Mkruluts

Post Number: 2
disabling the screen saver does nothing. the computer still locks up in either way. i notice Jexx responds to alot of the questions but never realy answers the questions. I already what he said.

Username: Michnern

I have a compaq Presario 700CA and it freezes also... It will stop with no errors or anything. The screen will just stop. Kbd/mouse will not respond.... all system activity stops... Must power off and restart. I've tried Memory/CPU tests, everything seems to check out fine... No errors on HD surface scan... Even wiped the system and restored.... But it froze up again, same day as restore.... I think it's hardware related because it did the same thing with Linux installed... Just froze solid with no response (not even the caplock light would respond).... I'm stumped... It's been doing it for a couple of years now and is just plain annoying....

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4822

quote:

i notice Jexx responds to alot of the questions but never realy answers the questions.

And do you know why that happens, Matthew? Because you ask stupid questions with inadequate detail. If you asked the right questions, I could give the right answers instead of having to go through this tedious problem solving sequence.

Think before you post. Thanks.

Username: Hannah

My Compaq 700CA occasionally locks up but as of late that's not my #1 concern. I've been having problems with it starting up, sometimes (and every time for the past day) there is a black screen, last line saying 'keyboard error' and options of F1 to boot or F10 computer setup. So I boot the computer and loading is very slow (where the bar under the windows XP has green lines going left to right) and I know my mouse will not work. I try using the touchpad mouse or the peripheral mouse I plug into the PS2 port but neither gets recognized.

Anyone experienced this and have any tips?
It's definitely an older laptop (5+ years) but I'd like to continue using it if possible

Username: Nabraska

hello i just found this sight, i have a Compaq 700 and after one hour of use it locks up, no mouse or keyboard movement, i don't have a screensaver, i need some help i am good with computers but i don't know what the problem is, looking for any help. Please

Username: Dianenscott

hi i have 1 of these hp presario compaq 700 my partner has put windows on it all volume settings ok but no sound and i need to know what slot you use for your pcmcia so i can go on internet hope someone can help me in these 2 questions that would be great thanks diane
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us