HELP! Computer "Not Responding" to 3 different DVD programs

Username: Lily_hewson

Post Number: 1
Hi. I'm trying to create and burn DVD's and I think my computer is having issues. The same thing is happening in all 3 DVD programs that I have, so I'm pretty sure it's my computer. Every time I try to open video files from my hard drive, my computer immediately goes into "hourglass" mode and says "Not Responding." I'm forced to CTL ALT DEL and end program. Can anyone tell me why my computer might be "Not Responding" to these files? The programs work fine otherwise, it's just when I try to pull a video file. Thank YOu SO much for helping me. I'm really clueless when it comes to computers! THANK YOU!

Silver Member
Username: Bassfreak596

Post Number: 122
which program do you 'end' using the task manager ?
which files are you trying to burn on the dvd.. vob ? avi ? mpg ?
can you play the files on your computer otherwise ?

Post Number: 2
I'm not sure which program i'm ending when I use the task manager. I assume it's whatever DVD program. The three I have are Pinnacle Studio 9, Nero and Windows Movie Maker. The video files I have saved on my hard drive are all types - mpg, avi, wmv, mov.. etc.. I can play the files on my computer otherwise. Just for some reason, none of the programs will add the files to create a disk. The second I click on a file to be added, the hourglass comes up and the computer won't respond. I know it has to be a problem with my computer, but I don't know what. I've tried rebooting over and over. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling all these programs. I think if I could find out what caused programs to Not Respond, then I may be able to get to the bottom of it. What do you think? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1592
If you have InCD, get rid of it, it conflicts with other programs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
the dvd burning programs look for .vob .ifo and .bup files (its present on every movie dvd) in order to burn a dvd-Movie. these respective movie files have to be placed in the videots folder of the dvd.

so if you are trying to burn mpg, avi, wmv, mov.. etc. i would suggest you to get a converter of these formats to a dvd, ie 'mpg avi wmv to dvd' from downloads.com
there are many who are against the idea of using programs from downloads.com, but since none other are working you mite try them.

i hope your codecs are all properly placed. before all this you mite just reinstall your codecs. get the k-lite codec or the nemo. this mite correct any codec corruption.

hey and while you are at it just list your hardware specs please. i need your smps wattage as well.

Post Number: 3
I appreciate your help very much. But i'm getting more confused by the minute. I don't know what any of these terms you're using mean. This is the info I have for you:

Dell Dimension DIM300 Intel ® 3.00 GHZ 2.99 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2.

I just bought and installed an internal DVD drive: Sony DVD/CD Rewriteable Drive DRU-800A. It says it is compatible with all types of DVD media.

I am trying to use DVD+R discs and the programs are saying that the media is not compatible. I got past the Not Responding problem temporarily, long enough to get to the burn phase on my Nero software. It burned for almost 2 hours and then popped the disc out. I went to put it in the DVD player and it said disc error. The disc won't play on the computer either. Now that i've finally gotten this far, it seems most of my problems are happening with trying to burn. I'm so frustrated. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by converters. The Pinnacle program captures from VHS and is supposed to save it so it's ready to burn. It only deals in Mpeg and avi. I'm ok with that for one of my projects, but the problem i'm having is with the disc now. So many problems, i don't know where to start.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1633
If burning takes forever, you need to go into device manager and make sure all your drives are set to DMA and not PIO.

Username: Dero

USA

Post Number: 2
I have IBM laptop when i push the on button a lite blinks and nothing happens? Then i haft to remove and replace battery and does same thing ?
HELP Thank DERO

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
go to this link :
http://www.dvdsanta.com/index.html?fw-avi - download the free version 4.0

use this software to 'convert' your files to dvd files which can be burnt on the dvd.
-use the first option of 'avi mpg to dvd' then add your files by clicking browse.
-then click 'create dvd'
-you can modify the attributes or settings in the lower half of the screen with the resolution and PAL/NTSC playback. OR just leave it like that.
-your converted files will be saved in the folder (dvd video folder) with the path given on the same.
i think this version will leave a small text on the videos saying tht it was made in dvdsanta.

after your files are converted you can use nero to burn them or use the built in burning option when it asks you after your conversion is done.

conversion can take long depending on the file size of your video files.

if you are using nero make sure you are in the 'dvd' tab in the top right corner and not in the 'cd' tab.
-choose to make a dvd video disc.
-it will show you two folders AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS.
-double click on the VIDEO_TS folder and then add your converted files to it (all files saved in the folder)
-click next or whatever equivalen and burn !

make sure that the files you are burning (converted by dvdsanta) are not more than 4.5gb in size eg.
VTS_01_PGC_01_1.VOB + VTS_01_0.IFO + a similar .BUP + VTS_ + + + = 4.5gb
this isn't confusing at all.. simply just right click on the folder path [C:\TempDVD\VIDEO_TS\] which is by default in your dvdsanta. check size. it should be less than 4.5gb or else use dual layer dvd media.

your writer is capable of writing a dual layer dvd disc.

in case you want to burn more than one video files on the same DVD then you can download a 'dvd authoring tool' to arrange and create approporiate supporting files for the ones you already converted by dvdsanta.

Bronze Member
Username: Ping_me

Post Number: 19
You don't need to buy software, i can show how for free. Your OS might corrupted. But lets try another program and if it does the same, you may want to restore to a earlier date by using system restore. How long has this problem been going on?

Post Number: 4
Ok, I've managed to get past a few of these issues. Thank you all for your help. Now, here is the problem I am having. I am using the Nero software only. I have tried to burn DVD's using this software and the DVDs will burn, but when I put them in my DVD player, they are choppy. They skip about every 3 seconds or so, video and audio. I've tried freeing up space on my hard drive but I'm still having this problem. The DVD+R media that I'm using is 4x speed. My DVD burner is capable of 16x. I'm not sure if these speeds have anything to do with this. But for some reason, burning from my PC to DVD is not smooth. Does anyone know what might be causing this choppy, stuttering burning? And how can I fix it? I've wasted about 10 discs at this point just trying to figure things out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
when nero selects the speed for burning the dvd say 4x then dont change it through the drop down box.

you have a good system configuration and i dont actually see a reason for it not burning smoothly.

DMA (direct memory access) is active by default in winXP so that problem is ruled out.

try by not running many programs in the background or keep minimum things in the system tray (next to clock)

if nero is doing the conversion of your home video files to a DVD format then that could be an issue. Nero's poor encoding may be causing it to be choppy i guess.

Post Number: 5
So, when it comes time to choose the write speed, the options are: maximum (Default),2.4x, 2x and 1x. I kept it on maximum last time and it burned it choppy. It's good to know I have a good system configuration, but that leaves me confused. The last disc I tried burning was just a copy of a DVD that did work, so the program didn't have to convert anything. Although, on a disc I burned before this one, it did include different types of files, but the burned disc looked the same - choppy. I've tried Nero customer service, but their website is horrible. They only have a form to fill out and I don't know how to fill in all the fields. And they charge you 1.29 per minute to call them and ask for help. You can't just send them a simple email asking for support. I don't know what else to do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
When Nero gives you an option to choose the write speed, just leave it at what it is. It by default selects the best speed at which the data can be written.

So in my opinion dont use the drop down box at all, just leave it and click next !

Post Number: 6
That's what I've been doing. But still the quality of the DVD is all chopped up. I'm not sure what to do next.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1653
Skipping and pausing is usually poor quality media. DVD-R has better compatibility than +R.

Post Number: 7
I wondered about that. Thanks for the tip. When I was at the store, the sales guy there told me this is what I would need, so I trusted him. I thought about switching to -R, but from what I could find to read, they seemed to be the same quality. I still don't know what the difference is between the two. I will try that and let you know if the problem still persists. Thanks alot for your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1658
If you have a Best Buy near you, get some Fuji DVD-Rs. They have them on sale every few weeks at least. If you get spindles that say made in Japan, they are Taiyo Yuden discs, the best discs made. If they say made in Taiwan, they are Prodisc, those are good discs too.

Post Number: 8
Ok, so I got some DVD-R's and the first one I burnt actually worked fine. Although it was just a straight copy from another DVD. I haven't tried building my own DVD on Nero yet and seeing if it burns. Anyway, my question is: The DVD-Rs are 16x and so is my drive. It said it was writing at 16x / 22,160 KB/s. And if my project is 4422MB, at that rate it should have only taken about 4 minutes. But it took 50 minutes still. Why isn't it burning at the speed it says it is? Is there anything I can do to make it burn faster?

Username: Brybob2002

New York, New York USA

Post Number: 5
Hacking Question. When I would play a region 2 disc on my Gateway computer, I used to be able to reset the region - but in switching back and forth - it finally told me it couldn't be changed again - is there a way of getting around this?

Thanks.

Bob

Gold Member

Post Number: 1672
Lily, you need to go into device manager and make sure your drives are set to DMA and not PIO.
Click start, control panel, performance & maintence, system, hardware, device manager, double click IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, double click all drives there and click advanced settings and make sure all drives are set to DMA and not PIO. If you changed any settings, reboot the PC and that should solve the slow burning.
Nero isn't a very reliable program. I use Decrypter to burn everything.

Post Number: 9
Ok, so I went into the device manager and followed your instructions. On both, it said that Device 0 was using DMA if available. And underneath was Device 1, which were set to DMA if available, but underneath said not available on one, and PIO on the other. I'm not sure what the difference between Device 0 and Device 1 are or what this means. DVD's are still taking about 1 1/2 hours to burn a 60 minute High Quality DVD. I'm using Nero because it's easy to create DVD menus. If there was another program that was free and easy to use, I would try it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1680
Change the one that says PIO to DMA if possible. Do the same thing with your burner. PIO will use up the processor and take forever to burn.

Post Number: 10
Device 0 seems to be fine. It's set to DMA. It's Device 1 that won't let me change. It's set to DMA if possible, but underneath it says Current PIO, but I can't click on it. DVDs are taking over an hour to burn. Just wondering what is average time to burn a 4400 MB DVD? How slow is my system burning?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1681
At 8x it takes about 9 1/2 minutes on my burner. Check and see if your burner is DMA too. You need to get that drive off PIO. You may have to enable DMA another way.
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=182913

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Well, I've tried the link and everything else you've recommended, but it's still taking about 45 minutes to burn a DVD. But now I have another problem. I noticed on the DVD I burned, that towards the end of the disc, the audio track does not match the video. It seems to get worse as the DVD goes on. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Kenny Rosales
Unregistered guest
Hey, I have the same problem with the same burner. Do you think swapping the dvd burner with my cd burner will help. It seems that the cd burner is Device 0 and the DVD burner is Device 1. I figure that maybe only the IDE cable connected to that specific slot is capable of DMA. Is this correct? I will try anyway if the link above does not work.

Kenny Rosales
Unregistered guest
Well it worked. Now my DVD burner only takes 9 minutes to burn an entire DVD.

johno123123
Unregistered guest
hey. ive got a couple of large speakers that i want to plug into just a normal portable cd player,but the speakers plug in with wire, so they wont go, im asking is there any possible way of making them work with my portable cd player.
if so plz tell me. would really be appreciated

Username: 3killerchis

Post Number: 1
I am having the same problem described in the beginning post. Regardless of the software I choose, when trying to open a video clip from my HD, the program locks up. I have also noticed a problem uploading larger image files to the internet. Not sure if the two are related, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us