ATX PSU ---> Car Computer PSU

Username: Mmcev

Post Number: 1
There are many posts all over the place about how to power a computer in a car, but the one thing I've never seen anywhere is talk about adapting a normal ATX PSU to run off of 12v DC. If most PSU's convert 120v AC into 12v DC, then convert that into the lower DC voltages required by a PC, then it seems like it would be rather simple to bypass the circuitry in a normal power supply up to the point where you first get 12v DC power, then just the let the rest of the circuitry do it's job from there on out.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this would or would not be a good idea?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3518
id like to see an answer to this question as well

Silver Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 297
Its possible, o yes it is, ive seen it, but on the other hand not worth while. Why would you want to put more money into modding a psu to run a solid dc in instead of ac in when you could by a converter for like 80 buks. Its possible, but the money part dont make sence.

ok take this, a turbo psu, ( in my opinion the only good psu on the market) costs about 200 ish. Plus or minus a few buks depending on where you get it form. Imagine the r & d it would take to make a psu like this. It would end up with a 500+ psu. Noone wants to spend the time and money to do this when you can go out for under a hundred buks and get an inverter.

also a psu is like an engine. Why has it taken soo loing for electricity, and hydrogen power to catch on a lil more. Same with psu. WHy do you think we mostly use 120 ac in the us. Same as why we stick moslty to gas engines. Its cost efficiend. The time and money to R&D new ways to fuel stuff is hurendous, hense the reason why we still fill our cars and trucks with gas, and not hydrogen. Even though the principle of an engine is the same, the fuel decides if and how it will run. The same with a psu. I thot that comparison would help a lil. All it really comes down to is trhe money factor. a company wont waste time making something if noone buys it. And since cost is so great, noone would.

It would be nice to have more companies making new ideas a reality, but money talks, if it aint bein made, neither will the idea be made into a physical object.

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 298
i kno i made some typos, but all good, i typed alot and didnt really care aboyt my typos.

lobskii
Unregistered guest
Why would you use an inverter and draw more power than if you could run a machine natively off the 12vdc?

takes more power to upconvert to 110V (or 240V (we all dont live in the US) Than to regulate 12vDC down to 5vDC and 3vDC.

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 347
An inverter draws no more than 15 amps when plugged into the car lighter, Therefor its not drawing more power than a machine natively running off 12vdc. I answered this in my post. It makes 0 sence. Unless you have tons of money, or a degree in electrical engineering, dont waste your time asking about it, kuz it wont happen. once again read my post, I dont think I could of been any more clear.

jymibeer
Unregistered guest
Would something like this solve your problem https://logisysus.ourinternet.us/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=431
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us