Having alot of problems

Username: Bw5221

Post Number: 1
I have something wrong with my computer the darn thing keeps shutting it self off but the power light stays on. on the case that is. i have had 3 different power supplies put in it and each time the computer compnay says its the power supply i do not believe they got it right. This is what happenes i turn it on works for 15 mins to 1 hr then shuts its self down but the power light stays on the fans and every thing esle are off though. my specs are

2.8 p4
1g ddr ram
Geforce 6800 GT 256mb
450w power supply
any suggestions would be great because this has got be confused also i have a
4,133 joule serge protecter also

Username: Jesusofsuburbia

Post Number: 2
How old is it? Have you had any storms recently? I'm assuming it isn't really that old, seeing as it's a 2.8 ghz. Just try moving the computer to a different outlet and see if that helps. When my stuff dies on me like that, I can usually just move to a different outlet and it works. But otherwise, I have no clue.

Unregistered guest
I"M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!!! This is so frustrating! I've tried replacing my hard drive as well to see if it was some virus I didn't unerstand...lol. If anyone can help?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3459
did you check your pc temperature sounds like it may be overheating get speed fan its a free download and tells you your case temperature and processor temperature and such

Silver Member
Username: Bassfreak596

Post Number: 118
it could be an Operating System glitch. in case you have dual os on your system then try running the other os for sometime.

windows can restart without a warning if its system files (not the system/32 folder) are being modified by some software (trojan/virus/etc). so run a virus scan and an appropriate spy sweeper to detect them.

check your RAM modules if they are tightly fixed.

if you are using a GPU overclocking utility with your 6800 then try updating it or just disabling it for sometime. restart the pc after you do so. your pc could be restarting due to an error in setting up the VGA clock frequency. but this generally happens while loading of the os.

this is a rare possiblility in your case since you have tried out so many SMPS's, that one of your power connectors mite be faulty. especially the one running to your HDD or motherboard. just double check it. check your power connectors all over in case they are loose or the plug that fits in your AC wall socket.

and ofcourse as Sean says, overheating is a possibility. take his advice. but i doubt this as you said that it had happened after just 15mins of running. this time is too less for it actually restart but a possibility.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3460
I agree with morphine sounds more like other issues other than overheating but check the temps to be sure its free after all. I forgot some of your other details you gave above and after rereading I agree with morphine.

bayan_z
Unregistered guest
did you get it fixed? if so how? I am expriencing same problem

Bronze Member
Username: Rowlandbrown

Post Number: 16
I am fairly sure that this is a heating problem. One of two things - either the processor is getting too hot is it over clocked? (Check that the heat sink and fan are on and working and not clogged up with dust and dirt) OR there is a small break in one of your cables and when the computer heats up the metal expands and a random circuit is created.

Otherwise it is possible that you have a virus but I doubt it. Check this first though as it is easiest to check. Your PSU is DIFINATLY not the problem though

Otherwise it is possible that you have a virus but i doubt it. check this first tho as it is easiest to check. Your PSU is DIFINATLY not the problem tho

Username: Mrmikelazott

Independence, Oregon This one

Post Number: 9
try using another motherboard. there could be a problem with it. it could be shutting down due some wierd error, like it got grounded out and burned sometihng. check the bottom, smell it, look for a burn spot, if nothing, try a friends motherboard.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us