Addition of fire-wire port on 965GM2 (MS-6743)

AlexandraM
Unregistered guest
Hallo, I suddenly realized, that I need a firewire port to transfer my miniDV-videos from my camcorder.
According to the manual of our mainboard (965GM2 (MS-6743)) it does have an onboard 1394 (NECPD72874), although I didn't really check if it is there. The problem is, that the 1394 ports (!) are listed at optional, but there is supposed to be a 1394 pin header on the card to connect this optional port.
Did anybody try to add this port here this way (my computerstore here is trying to sell me a PCI-firewire... card instead)
Thankful for any help or suggestions

Bronze Member
Username: Spawn_2_extreme

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 11
if u have an available pci slot, u can get a pci card that supports firewire, my workplace shows a pci slot with 3 firewire ports, juz a generic brand but it does the job.

Bronze Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 36
Often external firewire ports are options of the case manufacturer along with usb and audio ports separate from the ones in the back that are directly hooked to the motherboard. If your case has a firewire connection it will also have a wire inside to connect to the motherboards header. If not you will have to add a card.

To be a little more clear, I bought an Antec case, it had usb and firewire hookups in the front of the case. Which ever motherboard I put into this case, as long as it has the headers for extra usb and fire wire, I can hookup the cases wires for its upfront usb and firewire manually to the headers on the motherboard. Both the case and the motherboard have instructions to show which pins go where.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us